What to carry for if you get stuck in the mud (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We are shortly to head off to France for our first big trip in our new moho. We have already had a few wheels spins with the mud on our own drive and wondered what people took with them to free up mud spinning tyres if you happen to encounter it. Clearly we won't be choosing to camp in a soggy field but it could happen anyway. Any tips?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
NEVER drive down hill on grass unless it's bone dry, there is no way back. BTDTGTTS,

We carry two lengths of plastic grid as sold for strengthening carparks and airfields. It had saved our lives a couple of time, on the flat.

But the best plan is don't get stuck in the first place, you are the one driving it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Sounds good but where would we get that from?
is there anything we can buy?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Nick I mean borrow a couple of bread trays and cut the sides off.

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
You can purchase plastic sheeting strips from most motorhome/caravan accessory shops or at the shows or you can cut up some old strips of strong carpet about 2 mtrs in length to go under each driving wheel when you get stuck. Remember to tie some strong cord to both the underside of the van and to the mud strips in order that you don't have to stop and retrieve them immediately and risk getting stuck again. Remember the cord only needs to be sufficiently long to clear the front wheels so that the strip does not get cought under the back wheels as you drive away...
As others have said, try not to get into that situation anyway.
:happy:

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
If you do have to use any of the strips etc then make sure anyone standing near the pitch is well away from the area behind you , where, if you shoot forward suddenly ,the strips will shoot backwards. They're only plastic but can really hurt if they hit you and we can bring forward a witness to this !

We find the plastic Fiamma strips very useful for putting underneath levelling ramps if the ground is such that the ramps might sink in a bit with the van on them. We've got 4 and have lent them out many times to help get people out of mud or sand. We don't get stuck of course....:whistle:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
If you do have to use any of the strips etc then make sure anyone standing near the pitch is well away from the area behind you , where, if you shoot forward suddenly ,the strips will shoot backwards. They're only plastic but can really hurt if they hit you and we can bring forward a witness to this !

We find the plastic Fiamma strips very useful for putting underneath levelling ramps if the ground is such that the ramps might sink in a bit with the van on them. We've got 4 and have lent them out many times to help get people out of mud or sand. We don't get stuck of course....:whistle:[/QUOT

Where did you get these strips from?

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@Jac Sprat. Or go to your local bakery or supermarket, and ask if they have any damaged plastic bread crates.
You only need a couple of strips wide enough for the tyres. I made up four, two on each side, thereby doubling the length of each track...................but as advised, it is best to plan on not getting stuck at all. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Is there anything we can purchase? Not keen on butchering bread crates really as not sure what I'm doing. Shall we just use carpet? It'll be a pain to clean and dry after won't it?

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Is there anything we can purchase? Not keen on butchering bread crates really as not sure what I'm doing. Shall we just use carpet? It'll be a pain to clean and dry after won't it?
You just cut all the side walls off them, then cut them in half, but lengthways. Easy peasy. (y)

Jock. :)

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
"Fiamma Grip System Anti-skid system with superior traction. The two grips can be combined into one long piece to position under the motorcaravan’s wheels. Solid construction in UV-resistant polyethylene."

Above as listed on John Cross Motorhomes site, also available at any m/h dealer, these listed are grey colored or yellow.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
This has worked very well for me on the occasions I have bogged ours down. Frankly nothing is going to help better than this. Make sure you have a good supply of beer in the van.
But why I hear you ask!
Well, when you get stuck, walk around the site and locate someone who owns a Landrover Discovery, or even better a Defender. Ask them nicely if they would mind freeing you up, whilst holding 4 cans of said beer in your hands. Works every time.

The last time we got bogged was on the camping field at the Spa grand prix. We had our breakfast whilst watching many motorhome owners launching anti slip mats and bread trays around the field with their front wheels. The nice gent in the Discovery had us out in a jiffy :D

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have a pair of 4' sand ladders as the link given above by @TheBig1 ...... They are very strong and quite heavy but very effective.
If I was starting again I would probably get four so it's possible to have a continuous track.

Upvote 0

sparky

Free Member
Feb 19, 2008
bingley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
a class burstner aviano i
Exp
30 years
Hi I also carry a pair of sand ladders they are quite heavy and cost about £50 . But will stand 5 ton been driven over them like above post would bee ideal to make a temporary road

Upvote 0

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Eastleigh
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
Streetwize Twin Traction Tracks for Snow Sand and Mud £25 Amazon

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@Jacksprat
I bought five of these from Tool Station (£4.48 ea). Four to park (or to drive on to) and one for outside my greenhouse door!

Obviously, as said before, the trick is not to get stuck in the first place. However, These jobbies take about 7 ton! If it's not boggy, I use them outside the hab door as a sort of refuge to stand on when changing shoes.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 193
Upvote 0

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
This has worked very well for me on the occasions I have bogged ours down. Frankly nothing is going to help better than this. Make sure you have a good supply of beer in the van.
But why I hear you ask!
Well, when you get stuck, walk around the site and locate someone who owns a Landrover Discovery, or even better a Defender. Ask them nicely if they would mind freeing you up, whilst holding 4 cans of said beer in your hands. Works every time.

The last time we got bogged was on the camping field at the Spa grand prix. We had our breakfast whilst watching many motorhome owners launching anti slip mats and bread trays around the field with their front wheels. The nice gent in the Discovery had us out in a jiffy :D

Being a Defender owner I can confirm that this method certainly works. The smell of cooking bacon will attract me as well (y)

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Being a Defender owner I can confirm that this method certainly works. The smell of cooking bacon will attract me as well (y)
I shall remember that one as well :) We always have bacon in the van, and if we are honest, ain't nothing going to shift a 4 tonne motorhome sunk up to it's axles other than a Defender :D

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This was the result of my attempt earlier today to get onto a pitch. It looked almost level but wasn't! The ground was also very wet after heavy rain last night. We have short plastic mats, the yellow Fiamma ones, but they wouldn't have helped here, long sand ladders would have been needed but we just went to another pitch we could get on.

Charlie the dog was no help whatsoever, slept through it all.

DSC_0057.JPG

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That's one reason we have hydraulic jacks, pitch up and take the weight on the jacks (also levels the van of course) when you come to drive away the wheels have not settled in to a hollow. If you do have any problems just jack the wheels into the air and put something underneath and drive away.

Job done.

Martin

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
This was the result of my attempt earlier today to get onto a pitch. It looked almost level but wasn't! The ground was also very wet after heavy rain last night. We have short plastic mats, the yellow Fiamma ones, but they wouldn't have helped here, long sand ladders would have been needed but we just went to another pitch we could get on.

Charlie the dog was no help whatsoever, slept through it all.

View attachment 96429

Attach the pooch to the front of the van and throw a ball as you let out your crutch....works every time! !:clap:

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Some silly man my wife knows well :love: pulled off the tarmac down a narrow track in France. He was at an angle with both front wheels in twig covered soft sand. Luckily he had the presence of mind not to spin the wheels but cleared a gentle slope. His wife suggested using the 2 pieces of breathable awning ground sheet as used in their caravanning days. He placed under each wheel and reversed straight out:whistle:
He praised her suggestion and asked not to be reminded of being such a twat!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back