Booking singles on the channel tunnel (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
If we don't know the exact return date - is it best to get two unrelated singles or is it cheaper to get a return with an unspecified date?
Doing the Dover to Calais tunnel with tesco vouchers

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Won't be any different price wise for chosen dates as singles or a return but from what I remember if using the Tesco vouchers you can either book a return or a single going out but you can't use them to book a single coming back. At least I think that's right, I'm sure someone will be along to confirm or prove me wrong(y)

Edited to Add - Found it myself here

http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/mobile/faq/booking-with-tesco/

Can't book a single from Calais using the Tesco vouchers

I don't think you can book an unspecified return date, but you would be able to change any date that you do select.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks that was my question
Can I book an open return?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You can't book an open ended return so you will be better off just booking an outbound single and then booking the return later when you know the date.

As Ms Stroppy says though you can't book a single from Calais using Tesco vouchers.

You could book a return and then ring later and alter the return date but expect to pay the difference in the price you paid for the return trip and the price of your new date at the time you book. You would have to do this over the phone, it isn't possible to do it online.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
You can't as such book an open return But, you can book specific dates and amend them.
WARNING!!!
If you amend, the price you will pay will the price at the time you amend, not the price it was when you originally booked. Prices go up invariably, the closer to the date of travel.

Upvote 0

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Surely you mean calling Eurotunnel? Tesco have nothing to do with the actual booking.
unfortunately no - tesco deal with it via a eurotunnel agent! If you book online you can change via website independently , if you book with tesco tunnel vouchers you have to call a tesco/eurotunnel dedicated line within opening hours to change - believe me I made that mistake last year!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
unfortunately no - tesco deal with it via a eurotunnel agent! If you book online you can change via website independently , if you book with tesco tunnel vouchers you have to call a tesco/eurotunnel dedicated line within opening hours to change - believe me I made that mistake last year!

That has never been my experience. I have booked using Tesco vouchers many times and have never ever called a dedicated phone number. I have always called the main booking number listed on the Eurotunnel website. I've never been transferred to a different department. The person answering the phone has always taken the booking. That's even the number that Tesco tell you to call. It's not a dedicated one to them, just the main reservations line that everyone can use.

Upvote 0

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
All I can say is I had to go all around the houses last year to change my booking with tesco vouchers within uk working hours - not easy when abroad, same when I tried with camping and caravN club. I have decided not to use vouchers again and just go direct, changing online any time. To me, the cost saved is not worth the hassle. Tesco vouchers great if you are definite in dates and time. Problematic to say thie least if you need flexibility. Can only report on my experience and wish it was different.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What we do in this instance , as we use the tunnel multiple times a year and don't have enough tokens for all trips we just use the tesco tokens for the outward trips and book normally back again about a week before we come back,

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We used the tunnel in 2014 and paid with our Tesco vouchers. We booked a return ticket then simply telephoned Eurotunnel a couple of days before we wanted to come back and changed the date. If you are canny and use your vouchers for a mid to higher price ticket then you may well not have to pay any extra at all.

Eurotunnel lady was really helpful and polite (there is a specific number to ring when in France)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
All I can say is I had to go all around the houses last year to change my booking with tesco vouchers within uk working hours - not easy when abroad, same when I tried with camping and caravN club. I have decided not to use vouchers again and just go direct, changing online any time. To me, the cost saved is not worth the hassle. Tesco vouchers great if you are definite in dates and time. Problematic to say thie least if you need flexibility. Can only report on my experience and wish it was different.
I don't now what you did but that is definitely not the case normally - we've done lots of trips via Eurotunnel using our Tesco vouchers and there's been umpteen times when I've needed to amend them and have always just rung the normal Eurotunnel reservations number and done it via them without a problem. Do you recall what number you rang?

I always ring: 01303 282061

Upvote 0

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Thank you that is reassuring, but it was about 2 years ago and haven't revisited the experience since as found it too problematic.
Perhaps the advice of using the tokens for going out , single only which is pretty definite is good advice, whereas we always change our return
All booked for this year, but feeling reassured will try again in 2017

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
NOTE...

Also check travel insurance.. Some now specify that a return booking must be made..
Very small print, we only realised after was mentioned on here and we always used to book singles on the ferry.

Upvote 0

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Going in the summer with Tesco and changed both coming and going dates without issue as the price was still the same.
01303 282061

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
NOTE...

Also check travel insurance.. Some now specify that a return booking must be made..
Very small print, we only realised after was mentioned on here and we always used to book singles on the ferry.

Doesn't that also apply to the vehicle insurance or recovery,
people have posted before ? I've no idea as living here we don't have problems as a yearly green card.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sharing a frequent traveller scheme you can book a return (some insurance company demand it) and change crossings as much as you want subject to availability. I changed mine last year 6 times and no charge

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Doesn't that also apply to the vehicle insurance or recovery,
people have posted before ? I've no idea as living here we don't have problems as a yearly green card.

Not to do with vehicle but actual Medical / travel insurance..
I think the matter got raised when we were in Morocco 2013 with the funsters and when i checked the small print on Staysure (who I had used) it did state a return booking must be made.. am now with LV and made a point of asking about that before taking their insurance..

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Can you just turn up at say the tunnel or Ferry port and book there and then to return to uk ??

Yes, you can turn up and book for the next available train/crossing but remember the closer to the journey time you book the more expensive it gets so be prepared to pay through the nose if you do that.

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Yes, you can turn up and book for the next available train/crossing but remember the closer to the journey time you book the more expensive it gets so be prepared to pay through the nose if you do that.
Thanks @NickNic. Thought that would be the case but I may just have do that because I might want to spend more time than I originally thought in France

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks @nicnic. Thought that would be the case but I may just have do that because I might want to spend more time than I originally thought in France

Once you know you're heading back phone up and book then. Even a couple of days in advance will make enough of a difference to be worth doing it.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back