Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I've never tried the long route across before but as I'll already be in Cornwell thought I go across to Spain this way.
Very simple question for all the experts out there, is it worth getting a cabin? :unsure:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Ok, well there was no choice last time we went to Santander. Yes, I would get a cabin, those seats are not comfortable...

OP
OP
Clive

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Well that looks sorted, a cabin it is so I can puke without queuing :censored:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Well that looks sorted, a cabin it is so I can puke without queuing :censored:

This post will probably come back and bite me, I'm on the Bilbao ferry in April !

Only once have I really been really really bad and that was crossing Newcastle to Norway. North-east passage, south-east gales. I'd have gone overboard if I hadn't had my own pot to cling to. No pills. Oh boy did I have pills on the return.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As mentioned you can get away with a reserved seat but you can just crash out on a sofa, which I know a few do. You still need to reserve the seat, you just don't have to use it.

But a cabin is much better, allowing you to have a shower which can useful on the return journey especially if you overnight in an aire.

PM me if you intend to make a booking. I can send you the club code to get a discount.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Oh dear oh dear!
-
-
-
-
Don't know if I should really tell you this, BUT!!
-
-
-
-
-
In the Bay of Biscay I once spent a fortnight on one wave

toledo

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2011
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Life Member
Came back last week was rough to start with calmed down by morning we were on a 17.00 crossing economy boat food was good and cabin comfortable.
by the way Polly is no sailor but she enjoyed the crossing

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Definitely a cabin. By the end of a rough crossing you will have been glad of the privacy, shower, chance to make a hot drink ( take small kettle, plug adapter etc) and flat bed.

Take Stugeron with you as they are excellent against actual sickness. You can, if you book early, book the cabin you want from the BF ship plans.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Definitely a cabin. By the end of a rough crossing you will have been glad of the privacy, shower, chance to make a hot drink ( take small kettle, plug adapter etc) and flat bed.

Take Stugeron with you as they are excellent against actual sickness. You can, if you book early, book the cabin you want from the BF ship plans.
take the stugeron 8 hours before the journey to get it in your system, and then as instructions. No point in taking it once you are talking to god on the big white telephone :sick:

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
take the stugeron 8 hours before the journey to get it in your system, and then as instructions. No point in taking it once you are talking to god on the big white telephone :sick:

Stugeron recommend 2 hours before you sail. We find it works well ( and have done multiple BF crossings to and from Spain to test it) if you take 2 as soon as you get onboard. We then take one every 8 hours while the sea is rough.

If you have never taken them before then I very strongly recommend taking a dose while you are at home and have nothing special to do. Best to discover then if it has side effects rather than be unable to drive your van in a straight line to board the ferry. We have never had side effects but I have heard people say they make them sleepy.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Not keen, but I do like Salmon, would that do ? How big a portion ?

No need for a big portion as you are bound to see it all again after a short time. If you let it age a little you can blame the sickness on the salmon not the sea.

Silverg

Free Member
Dec 18, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Fellow Funsters
We keep reading about a special code to use to access a discount on the Brittany Ferries to Spain,
We would like to book to go from Plymouth to Santander in May - would anyone be able to pass on the code please? We are quite new to this and have a lot to learn!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Stugeron recommend 2 hours before you sail. We find it works well ( and have done multiple BF crossings to and from Spain to test it) if you take 2 as soon as you get onboard. We then take one every 8 hours while the sea is rough.

If you have never taken them before then I very strongly recommend taking a dose while you are at home and have nothing special to do. Best to discover then if it has side effects rather than be unable to drive your van in a straight line to board the ferry. We have never had side effects but I have heard people say they make them sleepy.
Years of SCUBA diving experience off many types of boats tells you to take them 8 hours before.....

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Years of SCUBA diving experience off many types of boats tells you to take them 8 hours before.....

That is the power of mind over matter : the actual pills themselves reach a peak plasma concentration 1- 3 hours after you take them. They are particularly good for divers as they are thought to decrease the risk of CNS oxygen toxicity but for ordinary travellers 2 hours before, or even less if you have to drive onto the boat and are concerned about side effects, is fine.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
As a solo, it means you can leave your stuff in the cabin and go for a walkabout. I take my own pillow as well lol

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It's more money but a Commodore cabin is even better as you have a fridge for your beer(y)

Deleted User
Hi Fellow Funsters
We keep reading about a special code to use to access a discount on the Brittany Ferries to Spain,
We would like to book to go from Plymouth to Santander in May - would anyone be able to pass on the code please? We are quite new to this and have a lot to learn!

I have sent you a PM(conversation)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
That is the power of mind over matter : the actual pills themselves reach a peak plasma concentration 1- 3 hours after you take them. They are particularly good for divers as they are thought to decrease the risk of CNS oxygen toxicity but for ordinary travellers 2 hours before, or even less if you have to drive onto the boat and are concerned about side effects, is fine.
If you take one 8 hours before and as I stated then follow the dosage instructions afterwards, then you get the best protection. I guess its up to people to try it for themselves.

Reactions: DBK
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If you start feeling a bit queezee, and you are not in your cabin. Look at the Horizon (it's the only constant that never moves) Nausea is a clash between two senses, in this case ,sight and feel, your eyes are telling you, your world is going every which way, yet your feet are saying no I'm firmly planted.

Reactions: DBK

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
There's a slight snag with that Rangitira ! There often is no horizon visible; either it is dark or the waves are so huge ( big enough to break over the windows on deck 8 ) that you can't see any horizon between them. It gets bad enough that BF advise passengers not to move around the boat, state that they take no responsibility for injury if passengers do move around the boat, and will not allow passengers on outside decks. Even if you are not prone to sea sickness simply maintaining your balance long enough to get undressed and brush your teeth is more than can comfortably be done and firmly planting your feet is not possible. If you've not experienced weightlessness then take a BF cruise. It can get very rough.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Will you be doing Seville this time Brian? :)

Four of us on bikes will hurtle past, as we are obliged to because it is expected of us. Pretty tight schedule I'm afraid so we can't be sociable. We get off the boat midday and we'll just keep motoring south, probably to Salamanca. Then next day Conil.

OP
OP
Clive

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I can see there are lots of people posting on here who have shares in Euro Tunnel :ROFLMAO:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
It's more money but a Commodore cabin is even better as you have a fridge for your beer(y)
Beer and stugeron are not recommended unless you want to puke then go into a coma.......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back