LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Been advised to get a steering wheel lock by the mechanic, not a bar one but a round one. I can only see the 'Disklok'. Anyone know if these are good ? or have any alternatives ? Thanks.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We have one each in our cars & we think that they are a good highly visible deterrent.

A clutch lock is another good deterrent & so is pulling the O.B.D. fuse :)

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Been advised to get a steering wheel lock by the mechanic, not a bar one but a round one. I can only see the 'Disklok'. Anyone know if these are good ? or have any alternatives ? Thanks.
Yes, we have one. It's heavy and robust, easy to operate and a visible deterrent if the blinds are not drawn closed. Downsides? Another key on the ring and, more importantly, you need to store it when not in use. We've attached the bag to the furniture behind the driving seat so the disc is upright and relatively out of the way. Part of the reason for putting it there is to make it easy to access when parking up - better than being in a locker when it might be tempting not to bother.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I had a disklock on the RV I recently sold, like a fool I let it go and wish I hadn't.
Easy to use and an excellent visual deterrent against vehicle theft.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
They do make visible deterrents but as has come up before I believe that thefts from motorhomes are a far bigger issue that thefts of the vehicles themselves.

A good alarm with visual deterrents like LEDs makes IMO an equally good, if not better deterrent.

You should also remember that a modern vehicle with a factory fit immobiliser is pretty difficult to steal unless they've first stolen your keys. I would imagine that most people who use this type of lock keep the key to it on the same key ring as their ignition key.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Thanks everyone. A good option it seems. Just trying to break down all the Strikeback/growler info so am clear on what we can do there. Phew ! Things you do for your loved one ...... Jumbo that is, not the hubby :whistle2:

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I use one and keep it on the passenger footell floor as the wifes
feet dont touch the floor.
short arz

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We have the Strikeback- don't forget Funster discount at Van Bitz (y) Also have Clutch Claw, Lock M Out on windows & quite a few other additional locks etc so hopefully enough deterrents.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Believe it or not I am still using an old Krooklock,must have had it 40 years!!
To be honest,keep forgetting to put it on though :LOL:,well here in Portugal anyway.
Handy for giving any intruders a crack on the bonce too !!!!

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We have the Strikeback- don't forget Funster discount at Van Bitz (y) Also have Clutch Claw, Lock M Out on windows & quite a few other additional locks etc so hopefully enough deterrents.
Thinking currently of going the whole whack and having the non-starter package too. Cost a fair bit but complete peace of mind. Only thing am wondering about tho, is if the flashing leds are a nuisance to peeps on campsites when just in armed mode ? Could imagine bright blue led lights next to a tent cld make their night a bit of a misery. Tho maybe the flash is small, what do you think ?

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thinking currently of going the whole whack and having the non-starter package too. Cost a fair bit but complete peace of mind. Only thing am wondering about tho, is if the flashing leds are a nuisance to peeps on campsites when just in armed mode ? Could imagine bright blue led lights next to a tent cld make their night a bit of a misery. Tho maybe the flash is small, what do you think ?
We haven't noticed ours being excessively bright but fitted a couple of years ago so probably best to talk to Van Bitz (very helpful over the phone) about current options.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
You can get a dimmer fitted, so that the LED have effectively a "day & night" mode or keep it bright if you are "off siting"

Apr 23, 2014
Naarfook
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
5 years
I have had a disclock for umpteen years, had it on the car before the motorhome, very visible and easy to use, storage can be a problem at times but there is always a place for everything!

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Have one for the car and one for the motor home. Wouldn't be without them.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Have Strikeback fitted as well as factory fitted immoboliser. Added to that is a Steering Lock and I run a steel cable c/w padlock between both front doors for good measure. Hopefully this combination will be a visual deterent as well as a physical one too.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Have one for the car and one for the motor home. Wouldn't be without them.
(y) Agreed...... leave it in place when parked and just put it on side seat when travelling...not a problem but would not be without it. :)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have Strikeback and IMO the LEDs aren't any bother to other campers so I wouldn't worry unnecessarily.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Back in late 90's I worked in breakdown recovery.
Got a job in Whitby.....lost key to a disc lock.

Recovered to our garage to try to remove it.

Ended up protecting the cars interior with canvas sheeting the setting the angle grinder on it....with the owners consent and a signed damage waiver.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, disklock at 9.00min

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I like this one @Wombles but I'm wondering if it's such a visual deterrent, especially at night. Think a crook could break in and only then discover it clamped on the pedals.
It has a battery operated flashing LED light & think it comes with a window sticker too. Our battery has gone flat on ours (easily replaceable) but not essential as there are 3 flashing lights for the alarms :)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Had a look at that video & they rated the Clutch Claw poorly in their summary which was a real surprise as rated highly on so many Landrover forums but Googling about it I found out that they hadn't fitted it properly :whew: Once adjusted & set up correctly for our vehicle it is easy to use so glad it wasn't a waste of money. For anyone considering the Clutch Claw it can be readjusted if you change vehicle or want to sell it so should have a long life.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, disklock at 9.00min

Most anti-theft measures can be overcome. They are not guaranteed to stop a vehicle being stolen. You could overcome the Disklock with much less hassle by just dragging the van onto a recovery truck.

The idea is to make it more difficult for the criminal to steal your vehicle, in the hope that he will decide to look elsewhere.

The Disklock isnt' foolproof, but it is better than quite a few other devices IMO. I've been using them for years. There is an article on the internet that explains how to improve on the original design by welding extra metal to the back of it.

Having said that, the Disklock in the video seems to be poorly fitted. It should ideally be a snug fit around the wheel, but not so tight that it grips the wheel if you try and turn it.

I would also suggest the PedalBox as an alternative to the Clutch Claw. It's available for most common panel vans such as the Transit, Sprinter and Sevel vans.

I assume the poster with the 40 year old Krooklock has never tried stamping down hard on his clutch pedal with it engaged, or he wouldn't still be using it ;-)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back