Has anybody stayed at the A4 Reims Autoroute services overnight ? (1 Viewer)

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
off skiing in a few weeks time, leaving calais evening crossing and want somewhere maximum 4 hours south on route to Austria - just need to put head down for a few hours then off again early doors
We have tried Arlon and Hans sur Lesse in past - absolutely fine, but Belgium roads yuk
Also been to Mutigny, but in winter this was too far off the beaten track, small icy roads etc - will reserve for summer (as was hans sur lease)
French autoroutes quick and easy in dark inclement weather, so thought the services on the A4 may do the trick before heading over to Metz/ Strasbourg and down to the alps
other suggestions appreciated - not far off motorway, easy to get to, any route to Austria considered etc

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
There are Aires in belgium, most fine, look on campercontact app. Would not dream of stopping overnight on motorway:(

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Continue on into Metz, aire there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I would not stop on a motorway aire anywhere anymore, done it long ago, but sadly it is no longer safe which is a shame and a reflection on the way the human race is going, down hill

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well that is what they are for. We use motorway Aires all the time, a great resource, unlike our over priced pee smelling, pot hole ridden motorway services, "Take a Break" if your tired and pay £20 if you snooze for more two hours

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well that is what they are for. We use motorway Aires all the time, a great resource, unlike our over priced pee smelling, pot hole ridden motorway services, "Take a Break" if your tired and pay £20 if you snooze for more two hours
I disagree Eddie, motorway aires are ideal for you to just have a rest to break your journey etc - I certainly would NOT stop on one overnight ... not worth the risk and even if I did I wouldn't get any sleep from the noise and 'worry'. Much better to just pull into a village and park up than be on a motorway in my view. I've met quite a few people who have been broken into on them (yes this is TRUE) whereas I have never met anyone who's been 'done' on a non-motorway aire.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I disagree Eddie, motorway aires are ideal for you to just have a rest to break your journey etc - I certainly would NOT stop on one overnight ... not worth the risk and even if I did I wouldn't get any sleep from the noise and 'worry'. Much better to just pull into a village and park up than be on a motorway in my view. I've met quite a few people who have been broken into on them (yes this is TRUE) whereas I have never met anyone who's been 'done' on a non-motorway aire.

not talking about a break we do for lunch whatever. Was talking about overnighting..

we use this Aire frequently free with full facilities and an easy walk to high street for a beer and chips:)

http://www.campercontact.com/en/bel...torhome-parking-aire-municipale-gratuite.aspx

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
In the summer months thousands of people use the motorway Aires every night, so yes there is bound to be incidents from time to time

But, just because the last two motorhome owners that were shot and killed (that I am aware of) were killed in their van in Scotland, it doesn't stop me going to Scotland

Aires are there to be used, and they are used quiet safely by loads of people all the time.

As for noise? Some are so quiet you could hear a pin drop, although I accept that some can be noiser, just like campsites. Never bothers us as we only stop when we are tired, so find sleeping a doddle

I too used to worry until I started to watch the Continentals turn up in the open topped sports cars, have a bite to eat and then go to sleep with a blanket over them, or the Bikers arrive and roll a sleeping bag out besides their bikes lol

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Continue on into Metz, aire there.

Looks quite good-, thank you @Boringfrog have you tried it and if so how many hours from Calais?
we use this Aire frequently free with full facilities and an easy walk to high street for a beer and chips:)

http://www.campercontact.com/en/bel...torhome-parking-aire-municipale-gratuite.aspx
Thanks @Judge Mental - got this one flagged if weather really rubbish and dont want to drive too far, but would still leave us at least 9hrs away from Solden the next day, so hoping to be a bit further down

Aires are there to be used, and they are used quiet safely by loads of people all the time.
Agree @eddievanbitz . This is winter and not exactly tourist central so not too worried about thieves sitting in the bushes waiting to jump out! The Reims services are quite good but never stopped overnight and was looking for fellow funsters experiences. We have slept at services before , down towards the south of France, in the car with our teenage children, surrounded by many others with boats and motorbikes.
We do have a peripheral alarm on our van and won't be carrying any bikes on the back.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Looks quite good-, thank you @Boringfrog have you tried it and if so how many hours from Calais?

Thanks @Judge Mental - got this one flagged if weather really rubbish and dont want to drive too far, but would still leave us at least 9hrs away from Solden the next day, so hoping to be a bit further down

Agree @eddievanbitz . This is winter and not exactly tourist central so not too worried about thieves sitting in the bushes waiting to jump out! The Reims services are quite good but never stopped overnight and was looking for fellow funsters experiences. We have slept at services before , down towards the south of France, in the car with our teenage children, surrounded by many others with boats and motorbikes.
We do have a peripheral alarm on our van and won't be carrying any bikes on the back.
I have stayed a few years ago, a big car park next to a campsite, if memory serves. 4Hrs 15 mins from Calais according to Google maps.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
There is a free aire in Reims centre.

We stopped there last month. A bit of road noise but otherwise all OK.

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
There is a free aire in Reims centre.
thanks. Know the one in the centre - we tried get in last summer but full by midday when we arrived and then had to reverse the whole way out, including round the corner bit (you know where I mean). don't fancy taking the risk of being full at midnight then reversing in the dark!

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Hi

We've used it quite a lot. Most recently last summer

Sometimes noisy. Don't park near the lorries. But my wife is happy there so it can't be that bad. ..

Daniel

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
As I posted a few weeks ago - I was robbed on a motorway aire between Narbonne and Limoges. I had locked the window but the catch hadn't caught. The window was opened and my computer stuff taken. Must have tried for my camera when the puppy woke me - not barking as she is a bit young yet. Without the dog I they would have climbed in I am sure.

But.... I was alone, ill and very tired. Although bus is alarmed the internal movement sensor has to be off because of the dog.

I have now got some wood which jams in the slides to stop the windows opening.

So - it does happen. I had been careful to park where I thought I would be safest having read about motorway aires.

But as mentioned earlier it could happen on your own driveway. Just one of those things I suppose :(

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
@dippingatoe sorry to hear you had a dreadful experience and one hope it never happens , unfortunately it did for you and hopefully it didn't put you off, although sure you have been shaken by the whole experience. Its all about calculated risk and happy to take the consequences although you can't account for all the little ****** out there. I feel just as likely to be broken into at a local aire in a village than at a motorway service, although chances are real but slim either way

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back