water tank's have Limscale / calcium (1 Viewer)

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hello all,

I have just had a close look at both my tanks, and the ends of all my taps they are incrusted with calcium

Can anyone advise me on the best way to get rid of lime scale in my fresh water tank?

Also, what do others use to get the stubborn grunge out of the waste water tank?

what’s the best stuff for cleaning out the water lines in general?

Thank's in advance

Patrick

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
If this problem was in anything else but drinking water I would tell you to put a little hydocloric acid in it, in Spain its called "agua forte" but with drinking water it could be dangerous. Maybe there is a commercial product that will help you..

Doug...

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hello all,

I have just had a close look at both my tanks, and the ends of all my taps they are incrusted with calcium

Can anyone advise me on the best way to get rid of lime scale in my fresh water tank?

Also, what do others use to get the stubborn grunge out of the waste water tank?

Thank's in advance

Patrick
Hi, Patrick- once bouhgt a caravan in which the water always smelt "off" so took it back to the dealer who put a couple of bottles of ORANGE SQUASH in, ran it through the system then left it for a while, flushed it out a few times and as if by magic the smell had gone! Cups of tea tasted a very bit orangy for a short while- not unpleasant- but soon went. No more trouble . We are going to do the same with the motorhome as it is getting a bit whiffy. Sorry, can't help with the limescale, but I imagine there is a chemical you can get to dissolve it. Just do the orange treatment AFTER you've done the limescale. Seems it's the acid in the orange that does the trick. Hope this helps,
regards, Dave:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wizza

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
8 years
limescale

to remove it off the taps my wife uses concentrated lemon juice she soaks a dish cloth in it and wraps it around the end of the taps for a few hours, but our taps are chrome not the plastic chrome ones, as for the tank could get a big drum of the stuff

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hello all,

Thank's in advance

Patrick

Any outlet taps will appear to be more scaled up than within the system in view of the evaporation.

AS far as lime scale is concerned its the same as that which accumulates in kettles except the process is a lot slower. I would use any kettle de scaler you can get from the supermarket albeit you may need quite a bit. let it slosh around and then run it through the water system, let it stay a while and then flush with fresh water until clear.

Regards

Ps don't use HCL

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
vinegar :thumb:

alfie2222

Free Member
Jul 18, 2009
full time in motorhome
Funster No
MH
own conversion
Exp
40 yrs
hi patrick,
we have similar problem with our boiler and have been told by webasto to descale with white wine vinegar,havent yet tried it.as its drinking water not sure as we dont drink from the tanks we drink bottled water,but do run milton through the system.

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
Hi Patrick

I went to the Pickering show and bought a product called Kemdirect it is a tank pipe cleaner descaler i have not tried it yet but was told it is good.
If you put Kemdirect in search you can read about it

billy

mariner41

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
scotland
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
3 years
Hi Patrick
what I do to prevent a build up of waste matter in the grey tank
is open the taps and run the fresh water through the sinks until the water
from the waste tank is running clear.
there are products you can buy to keep it fresh.
I got this tip on the Forum.
Good luck.
Jim. ::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Hi Patrick

If the grey waste tank has a build up of grease and fat the only way to clean properly is to use caustic soda, from most hardware shops. Follow the manufactures instructions carefully..

I do it like this..
Fill the sink with hot/boiling water, add the caustic then drop into the tank, keep adding hot water until the tank is full. Leave for a couple of hours then drain.. I also use it to clean shower and bathroom sink drains which get a build up of soap and hair.

Caution, wear rubber gloves and goggles.. caustic soda splashes cause sever burns.. keep well ventilated while mixing, strong acrid fumes given off while mixing. Follow the instructions..

* Caustic soda is an essential ingredient in an array of industrial applications. In addition, consumers use caustic soda when using cleaners, such as oven and drain cleaners.
* Caustic soda is highly corrosive and reactive. Caustic soda can be irritating to the skin, eyes and gastrointestinal tract. See Health Information and Physical Hazard Information.
Occupational and consumer exposure is dependent upon the conditions under which caustic soda is used.
* Although caustic is only slightly toxic to aquatic organisms, a large discharge can change the pH of the aquatic system which may be toxic to aquatic organisms. See Environmental Information.

Product info
Caustic Soda

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Touring a lot in out of the way places and not knowing the quality of water we might find I've used a German product known as Certisil - cleans the gunge out of any tank and sterilises for six months and doesn't contain chlorine which Truma for example don't recommend for their heater tanks.

Myriad products in the UK are sole agents but I've never seen it on sale in the UK so I got it from a MH/Caravan Accessory Internet shop in Germany. Its expensive!

Certisil's website will tell you everything you've wanted to know and some you didn't about tank cleaning be it a yacht, MH or at the bottom of your garden.

Google Translate

:Smile:
Keith

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Thanks for all your advice guys,

Jim, would caustic not do damage to any of the plastic piping?

Keith, what is the web address fo that product please.

Patrick

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Jim, would caustic not do damage to any of the plastic piping?

Patrick

Hi Patrick .. caustic doesn't damage plastic piping, it's commonly used for cleaning blockages in domestic drains .. and it is supplied in plastic containers, but if you are concerned a safer alternative is baking soda and vinegar .. in about equal amounts. Pour the baking soda into the sink drain then add the vinegar .. this will clean the sink and waste pipe but you may need a lot to clean the tank.

jim

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years

Patrick

Hi Patrick just replied to your PM but the info may be useful to others so I'll post it here as well the web address for the product (after Google translation) is the one I gave in the previous post just click on the highlighted http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.certisil.de/&ei=qcqHSsLYGs3MjAe2lIiiCw&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=2&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcertisil%26hl%3Den

Just Google 'Certisil' the first one that comes up is:

http://www.miriad-products.com/certisilp.htm

However, as stated they appear to be wholesalers and I don't know how you buy from them. Their home page is:

http://www.miriad-products.com/

I bought it over the Internet from a Caravan Accessory shop in Germany. Unfortunately I can't remember which one.

However if you Google 'Certibox' which is the combined treatment box you will get a list here's an example:

http://www.fritz-berger.de/campingar...rtibox-set.htm

Hope that helps

Keith

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hi Patrick,

I had a similar problem with my grey tank, someone on here said to use Bio washing powder, been using it ever since, no problem now. I mix some up with water and pour down the drain and leave it till the next time we go out. It is as clean as a whislte now and no smells from the drain holes:thumb: For your taps, soak a piece of cloth or paper towel in vinegar and wrap it around and leave overnight, you may have to do it a few times depending how encrusted they are.

Last edited:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If your waste tank has a large inspection cap underneath then its quite easy to give it a good power hosing clean.

The cap thread is deeply recessed so you wont get soaked doing it.

What I did was to fix a garden jet/spray attachment to a hose and shoved it into the inspection hatch and give a good hard spray all round the tank interior, thendrain as normal into a bucket. Repeat until all the gunk is out and the water runs clear.

This process can also get water level sensors to waork again.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Bold or Daz bio washing powder does the ttrick for grey waste tanks, keeps them smell free. Just mix a cup full up and tip it down the sink or shower tray.

Taps, some you can unscrew the tip of the oulet on the tap and remove the aerator and filter, just leave them overnight in neat vinegar to remove scale.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back