Mobile library conversion (1 Viewer)

G

gail2405

Deleted User
Can anyone help with my dream project to convert an ex mobile library? How difficult would it be? Do I require an HGV LIcence do drive one I think they are usually 7.5 tons.
My need for one of these would be the fixtures etc. in conventional vans dont suit 2 slightly disabled ladies, I want to tailor our van to our needs and uses. We are then going touring wherever and whenever we can.:Sad:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
The Loch Ness Monster !!!

Off topic here, but I remember a TV programme called Live the Dream or some such title about a guy called Steve who converted a library van and went in search of the the Beastie. This was a long time ago and I bet that someone here comes up with the info. HE IS STILL THERE !!!! He is now based at Dores and I park up there every year on my way to the Hebrides. The TV programme that he was in is frequently shown on Sky in Germany and Japan ! He makes tiny models of Nessie and sells them to the tourists from afar ! :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can anyone help with my dream project to convert an ex mobile library? How difficult would it be? Do I require an HGV LIcence do drive one I think they are usually 7.5 tons.
My need for one of these would be the fixtures etc. in conventional vans dont suit 2 slightly disabled ladies, I want to tailor our van to our needs and uses. We are then going touring wherever and whenever we can.:Sad:

Your licence depends on when you passed your test, you may be OK, have a look at it.

What a project, not for the faint hearted, that's for sure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
J

johnandcarol

Deleted User
Mmmmm, I am a competant mechanic, and a half reasonable DIYer, fitting central heating, double glazing, all house repairs, and I will have a go at fixing anything, including cars that hav'nt run for years.
We considered what you are contemplating, but, what I am not, is a competant enough cabinet maker! A home build requires a varying bag of skills, if it is to last past the first speed hump or roundabout.......sorry to sound negative, the very best of luck to you.
Oh, one word of advice, if it had the sliding doors, get them checked, they are a bit violent and have been known to cause injury.

Upvote 0

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
This book may give you an idea of what you are getting into [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Build-Your-Motorcaravan-John-Wickersham/dp/1844252213]Build Your Own Motorcaravan: Amazon.co.uk: John Wickersham: Books[/ame]

Dave

Upvote 0

norsman

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Nth Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
38` A Class RV
Exp
Two
Library Bus Conversion

Hello,
I have a friend who has done this very thing, it has taken 2 years and i must add he is more than competent in all manor of skills. The chassis was Volvo and the end result is remarcable. It can be seen at most big rallies around the UK it is painted Blue and White and is often mistaken for a factory RV. If you contact me i will gladly put you in touch. He stripped everything out and designed and built the whole interior.
Good Luck

Upvote 0

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
lots of info on that kind of thing on Tribal-Living
I looked into this but it was going to be too much for me so I bought a ready converted coach then ugraded to an RV. Good luck but I dont envy you.

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We have done two self builds in the past. The first a Commer Walkthrough and the second a 30' coach. The cabinet making was the easiest part for us, we're not carpenters.

We now live in a American fifth wheel and also own a truck camper. We looked into another self build before we bought the fifth wheel, but knew that it costs the same or a lot more for a self build and you never get anywhere near the money back that you put in.
Especially if you want to put all the fancy equipment in that is already built into a readymade.

Don't get us wrong it's fun to design and build and the sense of achievement when 'finished' is really great, but we wouldn't do it again not after having owned the professionally built ones.

If you built the library and just took some household bits to give it the legal classification of a motorhome and you were happy with that type of conversion, then the costs wouldn't be so high. A library is sprung very hard so you would need to bear that in mind.

What you also need to consider is insurance and breakdown cover, as these are not so readily available for a homebuild. We would suggest you enquire on these two issues before you make your purchase.

We wouldn't want to stop you fulfilling your dreams but please make sure you enter this project with your eyes open.

Also you are more readily accepted when wildcamping and on campsites if you are not in a homebuild.

All the best in whatever decision you make.

Nigel and Pamala

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Gail, it is no problem to get insurance etc.
A ex library bus will give you lots of room for your conversion :thumb: All-be-it a little on the large side for the country lanes :ROFLMAO:
See my conversion in the MHF garage--terrys ambulance-- to give you some idea.This is what can be done with onlt 12 ft in the rear so think what may be done with 20 ft plus :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Insurance and breakdown cover is no problem but Hi, you're a brave man doing that conversion:ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO: It sounds like it is 2 disabled ladies,so it may well require a brave man :ROFLMAO: hope they keep us posted with pics etc
terry

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sorry Steve,did not see it.
Gail,-This looks like it would make a lovely camper :thumb:
Link Removed
A little on the pricey side to buy and I know there's a lot of glass :ROFLMAO: but it is nothing that could not be easily overcome.It already comes with a wide entrance door which would assist a disabled persons entry.It is also quite wide at about 6ft 6ins plus which is another bonus when planning your layout :thumb:Mileage is low so should be lo of life in it yet
terry

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Off topic here, but I remember a TV programme called Live the Dream or some such title about a guy called Steve who converted a library van and went in search of the the Beastie. This was a long time ago and I bet that someone here comes up with the info. HE IS STILL THERE !!!! He is now based at Dores and I park up there every year on my way to the Hebrides. The TV programme that he was in is frequently shown on Sky in Germany and Japan ! He makes tiny models of Nessie and sells them to the tourists from afar ! :ROFLMAO:
Cheers Steve, I did in fact see the program years ago, and even wondered when we travelled north last year if he was still there. It is one way to opt out I suppose. Does the van ever get driven or is it seized solid by now, hee hee

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Yep!!!! On it's knees, but what a view !!! He makes enough money to go to Thailand for three months each year. His name is Steve Feltham...Just googled his name, came up trumps !!...:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Yep!!!! On it's knees, but what a view !!! He makes enough money to go to Thailand for three months each year. His name is Steve Feltham...Just googled his name, came up trumps !!...:ROFLMAO:

thanks steve

his website Link Removed

Upvote 0

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
a mobile library may seem a good idea but all that shhhhhhhhuuuushing would get on my nerves :ROFLMAO::secret:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back