pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
The reason we bought our van was to stay in marine drive and walk the dogs the next day on the beach, Who wants to join me?

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Will never go to that place again, in a car, bus, train, or any other means.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't think you're allowed to stop overnight on marine drive are you?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
you surely have greater aspirations than Scarborough, we like it as well but not that much (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Where is Scarborough? is it where the woman hates motorhomes so much she lies about how bad the owners are?

OP
OP
pigginchilli

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
you surely have greater aspirations than Scarborough, we like it as well but not that much (y)
We have, like devon, somerset and dorset, but this was just for the weekend, we will probably go to the cumbrian coast till our next time off work.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
They don't want the likes of us going there spending all our money .the only thing I stop for in Scarborough is a traffic light . As I'm passing though .

OP
OP
pigginchilli

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
They don't want the likes of us going there spending all our money .the only thing I stop for in Scarborough is a traffic light . As I'm passing though .
This kind of discrimination reminds me of pubs years back with No Bikers signs outside, I thought this type of thing was stopped in the 80s,

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Rather stay on the esplanade at burnham on sea

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thats a bit unfair, of course Scarborough council want you to visit......just bugger off by 7pm or suffer the consequences.

And we used to have more pubs per street mile than anywhere else.....now it traffic lights.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
please tell me why?

Because of the councils contempt of MH owners.
Marine drive empty at this time of year.
Two weeks ago wanted to take the grandchildren there for one night.
Sites too far away for disabled wife, too costly to take a taxi into Scarborough. They lost out, the shops, cafes, pubs, etc.
We went elsewhere and spent over £150 in 24 hrs.

Where you say, well Harrogate, Shaws, £18 for the night, no early leaving rules so had Sat PM and all day Sun in Harrogate and Knaresborough, and as a bonus spent less on fuel too!

OP
OP
pigginchilli

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Because of the councils contempt of MH owners.
Marine drive empty at this time of year.
Two weeks ago wanted to take the grandchildren there for one night.
Sites too far away for disabled wife, too costly to take a taxi into Scarborough. They lost out, the shops, cafes, pubs, etc.
We went elsewhere and spent over £150 in 24 hrs.

Where you say, well Harrogate, Shaws, £18 for the night, no early leaving rules so had Sat PM and all day Sun in Harrogate and Knaresborough, and as a bonus spent less on fuel too!
There is no beach in harrogate for our dogs , but yours and other comments are putting me off scarborough so much for yorkshire hospitality!!.

OP
OP
pigginchilli

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Nothing wrong with Yorkshire hospitality.....

Just Scarborough council who think it reads Yorkshire HOSTILITY.
lol, yes i married a lovely yorkshire lass and we honeymooned in york, something seriously wrong with scarborough, mind you the in laws live in brid and thats as bad, good place if you own a mobility scooter though, we have actually seen them racing along the prom!:eek:

Deleted User
You can park as close as 300m to the beach on most streets, around either bay.
Overnight in your van is no different to any other town or city you wish to attempt it in, you take your chances.
Scarborough seem to be getting a bad press on here, which is beginning to be unfair, I'm not aware of any other towns or cities that activity encourage sleeping in your van on public streets.
Scarborough needs tourist if you lived here you would realise how much unemployed there is, the place is becoming no hope street for many, boycotting the place will just quicken it's demise.
It's got great beaches for all including dogs, part of South bay is dog friendly 365 days a year.
Yep if you can't be bothered to walk 300m and are only interested in parking a metre from the sands you will have to pay (quite a lot) for the privilege during the day and if you try staying overnight, you will be noticed and get a knock on the door.
Or use a bit of common sense park further back and enjoy a fantastic day at a great Victorian seaside resort.

Lin :)

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Went a couple of weeks back and stayed at Scalby Mills as we have done for the past decade. No problems whatsoever and plenty of other vans too. It was seasonal free parking though.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This kind of discrimination reminds me of pubs years back with No Bikers signs outside, I thought this type of thing was stopped in the 80s,
As posted Here, there are only 3 roads in Scarborough where motorhomes are banned overnight. You can stay overnight on any other unrestricted road in the town.

To pick up on what Lin said above, the restrictions are the result of a long public consultation (search the threads and to find the story) and take into account the needs/views of all sections of society.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Went a couple of weeks back and stayed at Scalby Mills as we have done for the past decade. No problems whatsoever and plenty of other vans too. It was seasonal free parking though.
They must have cut back on checking for the winter because officially overnighting in Scalby Mills car park is banned and could result in a fine.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm not aware of any other towns or cities that activity encourage sleeping in your van on public streets.
Agreed, but how many other towns have applied for, and been granted, legal status to prevent overnight PARKING of motorcaravans/motorhomes between 11pm and 7am on a whole raft of streets.

Deleted User
Agreed, but how many other towns have applied for, and been granted, legal status to prevent overnight PARKING of motorcaravans/motorhomes between 11pm and 7am on a whole raft of streets.
It's not that many and it's hardy a right to be able to park within spitting distance of the sea overnight. Sometimes change is achieved by little steps, like perhaps a trickle of mh visiting obeying the rules, spending some money, mingling with the the locals in our fine pubs, chatting with publicans and restaurant owners.
Showing them how responsible we can be.

Portsmouth have the same restrictions that's the only other seaside place I've lived, but they wont be the only two I'm sure.

Lin :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Three streets in Scarborough, four in Whitby, two in Filey and one at Sandsend. Ten streets is hardly "a whole raft" :)
Don't forget, either, that some streets in the draft order were removed before the NYCC order was made permanent so the requirements of motorhome owners were listened to.

As to how many towns, I haven't counted up but NYCC isn't the only council to have such orders in place.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Three streets in Scarborough, four in Whitby, two in Filey and one at Sandsend. Ten streets is hardly "a whole raft" :)
Don't forget, either, that some streets in the draft order were removed before the NYCC order was made permanent so the requirements of motorhome owners were listened to.

As to how many towns, I haven't counted up but NYCC isn't the only council to have such orders in place.
Oi !!!
You're supposed to be on my side. ;)

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
They must have cut back on checking for the winter because officially overnighting in Scalby Mills car park is banned and could result in a fine.

I'm unsure where this has been qualified and certainly does not tie in with the information supplied by North Yorkshire CC on their website here > Where are Motorhomes Allowed to Park? <

Clearly there are a number of places where you are not permitted to park between the hours of 11pm and 7am; however, the car park at Scalby Mills is not on that list.

Further, I contacted Scarborough District Council Parking department some years ago (and shared the resulting info on your motorhomeparking webpage) regarding parking our large motorhome in Scarborough.

It was accepted that parking overnight in Scalby Mills would not present any problem provided a 24 hour ticket was purchased. I was told I could park in a coach bay and that the 24 hour ticket was transferable throughout the borough for its duration.

Erroneously, at that time they directed me to pay the 24hr car rate as opposed to the 24hr coach rate. Subsequently, one weekend I was ticketed at Whitby coach park for not paying the correct class for the parking bay (£7.50 paid should have been £10).

Consequently, lesson learned. I now pay the full coach rate of £10:00 for a 24 hour period and happily park in any of the borough coach parks throughout the day (nod to the Ripon ticket thread) without fear of penalty.

I believe that Scalby Mills is not one of the destinations the local council is trying to drive MH's away from overnight, and providing during charging hours you meet the requirements of the parking orders I cannot see a problem.

Like I said in my previous post, I have undertaken this approach at Scarborough several times a year for the past decade without issue and that's a fact.

A lot of what is written regarding motorhome parking is supposition based upon what we perceive may be the worst possible scenario without actually testing it for ourselves.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Clearly there are a number of places where you are not permitted to park between the hours of 11pm and 7am; however, the car park at Scalby Mills is not on that list.

@GJH will explain about town carparks and the relevant law better than me.
But basically, council carparks would need a special order permitting overnight camping....they would become campsites in the eye of the law.

Deleted User
There has been an old Hymer parked on Valley Road last couple of days, hopefully enjoying the delights of Scarborough. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back