No C1 Licence (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
My wife does not have a C1 licence and we are looking to the possibility of her taken her test. However in the event of an emergency would she be able to drive or would we have to call the breakdown company to take us home etc.
Lets say I fall ill at the wheel and am unable to drive.

From what I know I do not believe she would be able to drive does anyone know differently?

Deleted User
I would assume when you get insurance as they have DOB, they would not cover her for any vehicle over 3.5t, with seeing proof of an additional test.
So she would be driving without insurance?
So no couldn't be done.
Prob best to check with your insurance.

Lin :)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
NO... You are right,, She does not have a license and so breaks the law..
If the worse happened let your insurance sort it..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I would assume when you get insurance as they have DOB, they would not cover her for any vehicle over 3.5t, with seeing proof of an additional test.

I've never been asked for licence proofs when taking out insurance and am not aware of anyone else being asked either.

If you had an accident claim then they might want to see it but not before.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My wife does not have a C1 licence and we are looking to the possibility of her taken her test. However in the event of an emergency would she be able to drive or would we have to call the breakdown company to take us home etc.
Lets say I fall ill at the wheel and am unable to drive.

From what I know I do not believe she would be able to drive does anyone know differently?

No she can't drive it, and it's nothing to do with insurance. She would be driving a vehicle she isn't licensed to drive and would be prosecuted as such, the same way a teenage joy rider might be.

She can do training for C1E entitlement but it isn't cheap! @motor roamin does that sort of training for a living so he would be able to tell you more.

Deleted User
I've never been asked for licence proofs when taking out insurance and am not aware of anyone else being asked either.

If you had an accident claim then they might want to see it but not before.
No neither have I but I have C1, I just assume as they ask your dob if you are insuring a vehicle over 3.5t and you are not old enough to have an automatic c1, it might flag. Maybe it doesn't.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No neither have I but I have C1, I just assume as they ask your dob if you are insuring a vehicle over 3.5t and you are not old enough to have an automatic c1, it might flag. Maybe it doesn't.

No it doesn't. The C1 entitlement is based on when you passed your test, not your age.

I have it but 'er indoors is a couple of months older than me and doesn't have it (y)

Thinking about it in motorhome terms, it wouldn't be relevant for insurance purposes anyway. In all the various quotes and policies I've had I've never been asked for the weight of the vehicle.

When I uprated this van I rang the company I was with at the time to inform them and they weren't interested. They said it wasn't relevant to the policy and they didn't need to know.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There are hundreds of folks driving american rv's after being told, usually by unscrupulous salesmen, they can drive on a standard B category (car) licence......and every one is driving other than in accordance with their licence, in other words....illegally.
A standard B cat, which your wife holds, only allows up to 3500kg (with a 750kg trailer if desired)

Not proper licence, no insurance

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Someone on facts once contacted me as we had same vans and my name was passed to help sort some issues..
After a few messages back and forward I discovered he didn't have a license to cover the van as it was 4250kg and he passed after 1997 when the rules changed..!!
The dealer had happily taken his cash !!!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
It will be written somewhere in the insurance docs that you must have the correct licence for the vehicle.
The problems will start will start when there is a claim.
The onus is on you to answer the questions correctly lol

Deleted User
No it doesn't. The C1 entitlement is based on when you passed your test, not your age.

I have it but 'er indoors is a couple of months older than me and doesn't have it (y)

Thinking about it in motorhome terms, it wouldn't be relevant for insurance purposes anyway. In all the various quotes and policies I've had I've never been asked for the weight of the vehicle.

When I uprated this van I rang the company I was with at the time to inform them and they weren't interested. They said it wasn't relevant to the policy and they didn't need to know.
Sorry I did say dob, blonde moment, but they do ask from the date of your test.
Interesting that they don't want to know about any updating.
Your original weight would be linked to the vehicle so they wouldn't need to ask once you give the registration.
Sooo if I uprate ours and forget to tell Nige, he would be ok ;), only joking wouldn't fib to Nige.
Live in hope the dvla will change the categories in the future and add an interim weight of say 4.5t, maybe if enough over 70's complain. :)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Live in hope the dvla will change the categories in the future and add an interim weight of say 4.5t, maybe if enough over 70's complain. :)

So do I. But I would`nt hold my breath!. Over 70`s are a liability as far as UK society is concerned, and we all should have died years ago, to save having to pay pensions. Or at least that`s how it feels.! They talk a lot about crap about Racism, But Ageism is IMV a LOT more prevalent!. I know for a fact I got far more "respect" in the USA. Age discounts are more the "norm". And if your a "Vet", you can get almost anywhere either free or cheap, including camp-grounds!

Pete

jaytee74

Free Member
Dec 5, 2013
durham uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt swift royale
Exp
since2007
i have held a full motorbike licence for 60 yrs recently applied to insure a recently purchased motor scooter 125cc value £350.00 to use with van for visiting POI when van parked up on site insured with BIKESURE (owned by ADRIAN FLUX insurance ) and underwritten by the worst insurance company possible in my opinion MARKERSTUDY . after purchasing policy i was informed that i would have to forward proof of no claims (9 yrs).. speedometer reading. and copy of my PHOTO LICENCE AND LICENCE CODE . to be honest i just felt like saying STUFF IT. FEEL AS IF I AM BEING TREATED LIKE A BLXXDY CRIMINAL.. end of rant.

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
I just had my medical yesterday as I have reached the grand old age of 70 to re-instate the C1 part of my licence. At least I am now legal ti drive the motor home.

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Yup stay away from markerstudy if you can. Trust me from what I know if you make a claim you'll understand why. ..

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Someone on facts once contacted me as we had same vans and my name was passed to help sort some issues..
After a few messages back and forward I discovered he didn't have a license to cover the van as it was 4250kg and he passed after 1997 when the rules changed..!!
The dealer had happily taken his cash !!!

I had the same problem. I bought a 4500KG Eura and only after I got it home found out I wasn't licensed to drive it. (post 97 license). Took my C1 within 2 weeks.
C1 is not a hard test to pass or it wasn't back then but the training was worth it's weight in gold.

Failed my C last year but going to have another go at it this year...

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
I had the same problem. I bought a 4500KG Eura and only after I got it home found out I wasn't licensed to drive it. (post 97 license). Took my C1 within 2 weeks.
C1 is not a hard test to pass or it wasn't back then but the training was worth it's weight in gold.

How much was it to take your c1 test?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

TONKA SAY.... Me drive big trucks long time ago... :)
Me also had hair !!!!!!

1.jpg

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
How much was it to take your c1 test?
I am sorry I can't remember it was back in 2007. I think I paid around £500 for 2 days training with the test on the second day. I believe I paid about £700 all in once you include medical and theory test etc.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am sorry I can't remember it was back in 2007. I think I paid around £500 for 2 days training with the test on the second day. I believe I paid about £700 all in once you include medical and theory test etc.
I reckon, from memory and an old thread, you can double that price today.
I recall Rick (motoroamin) saying the price between C1 and a full C training and test is negligible so go straight for the full HGV test.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I recall Rick (motoroamin) saying the price between C1 and a full C training and test is negligible so go straight for the full HGV test.

Trying to persuade my daughter to do C training and test.... so far she's said a resounding "no" but has had an industrial injury and is off work at present so is now is thinking about it.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

I took my C1 in what was effect a large panel van not much different to a PVC motorhome. The C test is taken in a full size truck with extra weight added and either a 4 over 4 or a slap box. Hence me failing my C but passing my C1 with very few minors.

Correction: Rick also has a straight 6 box Merc, but I had more problems with that box than I did with the 4 over 4....

I took my C1 in York though and they had a large panel van with a standard van 5 speed box.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I better add, it wasn't a problem on Rick's instructors part that I failed. I got a dodgy gut, I didn't want to cr*p all over the place in the truck I therefore lost a days training, then I had a seriously disturbed nights sleep due to some thieves and police helicopter right over me. I pretty much lost half my training time. My instructor was excellent and if you want a full HGV C or C+E then Ricks guys are definitely worth going with. I am going back for my second attempt with them.

I highly recommend Rick's Driving school :) (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
now this is just a theory, but in the case of the driver being unwell and the partner not having a c1. why not phone the insurer and put a set of L plates on. the ill driver (broken leg etc) can be supervising a learner in the upper weight class, which would be legal

just an idea, maybe even wrong but worth checking

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
now this is just a theory, but in the case of the driver being unwell and the partner not having a c1. why not phone the insurer and put a set of L plates on. the ill driver (broken leg etc) can be supervising a learner in the upper weight class, which would be legal

As I understand it, the person supervising has to be capable of taking over the vehicle....

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Worth looking into, Thinking is, that in my experience the only thing the "supervisor" would be capable of, even if fully fit, is advising, Non of the controls will be accessible. Not even the handbrake, nor the "ignition"? especially if it was a Fiat, as (mine) is on the outside of the driver`s right. LGV`s are (as far as I am aware) Never fitted with dual controls?. So the case if it was ever prosecuted would be "unreasonable".

The theory would ONLY fail IMV, If the "instructor" had already had their licence withdrawn (Medical?), or had not completed the post test period of "experience" (I think 1 or 2 years) required under law?

So, for the sake of carrying a cheap set of L plates, and the phone number of your insurer`s???. maybe?.

Pete
P.s
Does anyone remember the scene in "Reach For the Sky". where 3 of them combine to drive Bader`s Sports car?, one clutched using a Crutch, One steered and one changed gear!

Pete

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
By coincidence my 28 year old son who is coming with us to a wedding suggested driving on L plates to give me a break as he doesn't have C1. I said not possible but then realised you see L Plates on lorries and buses and no dual controls?
Guess it's possible but my insurance company would have to agree?
But even if acceptable here, L plates would be a no in France.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back