Wool Or Silk Duvet - Better Than Others? (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
The best nights sleep we ever had was in a 5 star hotel (won a competition (y)) with goose down pillows & duvet as so light & not too hot or cold so deciding that we deserved a bit of luxury we changed our duvet in the motorhome for goose down. The duvet had mild "goosey" aroma that just got more pungent with use so having checked online & finding that washing it would probably make it worse we have returned to our polyester one. Saw @Spidey mention wool duvets in another thread so set me off on a hunt looking at other options... Has anyone tried silk &/or wool duvets, what brands & are they any good please?

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We bought baavet ones, they are made in this country and so lovely to sleep under. We bought the med one and only on the very coldest nights do we put a bedmat on top. In the summer carry on using it as it keeps you cool :). We also have the mattress topper in wool.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We've got goose down ones, for winter and summer, in the MH and at home and they're great.

@Wombles If they need cleaning they've got be dry cleaned. No other options. We get ours cleaned when we switch them from the summer one to the winter one and vice versa and there's never been any hint of a smell with any of them.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We've got goose down ones, for winter and summer, in the MH and at home and they're great.

@Wombles If they need cleaning they've got be dry cleaned. No other options. We get ours cleaned when we switch them from the summer one to the winter one and vice versa and there's never been any hint of a smell with any of them.
What make of down duvet please?

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Look at the bargain bit, i got one from there and there was only a tiny mark on it.
Great tip - thank you! Can see that Baavet sometimes offer 20% off online even off the bargain items - think I might try emailing them to see if they can do a Funster discount code :)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
We have used white Goose down duvets and pillows for decades and never a hint of a smell. We are on our third or maybe fourth set and we now have the 4 plus 9 tog which can be put together for a 13 if needed. I think you purchase was faulty if it smelt and I would have returned it PDQ. Not fit for purpose. Our last purchase was from John Lewis. that said I have heard good things about Baarvet.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We were given a silk duvet as a present from China. It works great in summer, light but warm, prefer it to our synthetic one in summer. Cannot comment on goosedown as allergic to feather pillows and duvets

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Of course if you have a spare £6k available you could get a real eiderdown duvet. :smiley:.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Have emailed Baavet now so hopefully they might be able to set up a Funster discount code?! :) Will update here as soon as I hear back.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
That's a mid point (y)

Broken Link Removed
:eek: Saw Baavet on Dragons Den & presumably that's the sort of duvet that Kelly Hoppen was talking about that was so light that that you can hardly feel it - how the other half live!

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thinking of the ultimate motorhome bedding on a reasonable budget :) & had a few ideas on how to use Baavet with a Duvalay sleeping bag if it is as good as it looks & sounds:
Single duvet to upgrade a Duvalay sleeping bag so very comfy with foam underneath & wool (different weights for time of year) on top.
Replace foam with wool mattress topper (if right size?) or wool duvet on bottom & wool duvet on top - might be better for the summer?
Replace the polycotton Duvalay cover with a cotton version - never understood why Duvalay haven't brought out a deluxe version. Baavet already make cotton zip up refillable pillowcases at reasonable cost & their duvets use 240 thread count cotton so maybe a product idea for them? Lots of Funsters have just used a large duvet cover stitched down the middle or 2 single covers stitched together so maybe something simple like that with poppers or zips down the side for easy removal. Could then use either wool topper & duvet, 2 duvets or Duvalay foam & duvet...

Last edited:

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I've used a silk duvet (bought in China) which was warm/cool enough but, for me, it just wasn't heavy enough - it didn't have the 'snuggle factor' :shake:

Caron

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Exp
New
We have used a silk duvet for about 20 years and I am now on the 4 th. They are warm In Winter and cool in summer, I only change it for a high tog duvet in the very depths of a cold winter. There are some drawbacks
  • They are expensive
  • You cannot wash them, I air it regularly then if it gets grubby its thrown away. I had the first one dry cleaned and it was ruined.
  • You don't get a nice puffy look to the duvet, it is very smooth and flat but drapes nicely on the sides of the bed. However this is down to personal preference.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We now have a Funster discount code which gives 20% off full price (excludes Baby, Pet & Bargain Box Items) Baavat products http://www.baavet.co.uk/shop (y) Our exclusive code is MHFUN16 & will be active until the 31st December 2016. I have posted this on a separate thread http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...-20-discount-until-31st-december-2016.126621/ so anyone that might be interested can take advantage of this discount. As Spidey mentioned they do have as excellent Bargain Box section - having read so many positive reviews of these we have taken the plunge & have just ordered duvets for home & the motorhome reduced to as low as £70 as in between their medium & winter weights or have small marks plus some full price pillows with extra covers & storage bags all reduced with discount :) Well it was my birthday yesterday so decided to treat us!

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I vote for silk duvets. They are compact, light and warm. I think they are washable, at low temperature, but ours has not need that yet.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We first started using wool duvets in South Africa. I love them. I use two summer weight ones in the winter and just one in summer. They keep me warm in winter without overheating me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back