Nudge bars (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
If I fit a chrome nudge bar on the front of my van (CE marked of course) do I have to tell my insurance ???

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't know if you have to but it wouldn't do any harm would it? At least you would know positively that you aren't going to risk problems because of an un-notified modification.

Graham

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Tend to agree with Graham really. Gives the insurance company no reason to penalise you if your unfortunate enough to need them.

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I don't know if you have to but it wouldn't do any harm would it? At least you would know positively that you aren't going to risk problems because of an un-notified modification.

Graham

Agree totally

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Nudge bars can cause more damage than they prevent. Often a bump that would have been absorbed by a bumper, ends with the bar bending and damaging the wing. I've seen this happen a couple of times with wrap around bars on a Land Rovers.

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Yes you do and some Insurance company’s do not look at these favourably they tend to see the boy racer image and load the premium accordingly. Once you have asked such a question it is loaded into there computer whether you proceed or not

Alf

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Thanks for all replies. On reflection I dont think I will bother, probably right regarding more damage etc and with regards to insurers not liking the idea.
Many thanks - Ian

Last edited:

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
There was a thread on this elsewhere a few months ago where a poster had been refused insurance because he had fitted a nudge bar.
Apparently front ends are designed to collapse in a progressive manner thereby limiting damage to pedestrians or the vehicle structure. Any bar attached to the body or chassis defeats the designers efforts and transfers the full impact to the van causing a minor fender bender to become a major repair job or even a write off. ( but at least the bumper grille/ lights may be able to be re-used! )
In Australia, where Roo bars are needed many trucks have an added frame projecting out from the base of the windscreen to prevent the guys you hit at speed from being deflected by the Roo bar up through the windscreen.

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
seen a few motorhomes with the big chrome bull bars thought they looked quiet sleek, more 4x4's with them too I think they are getting popular again

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If I fit a chrome nudge bar on the front of my van (CE marked of course) do I have to tell my insurance ???

On the basis that any damage you do to pedestrians when you nudge them will be more serious then with a nice smooth bumper then I would have thought it essential.

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Kangaroo Bars

A few years ago there was a program on TV following several serious and fatal accidents to children I forget the figure but the increase in the injuries to them was phenomenal. :Eeek:
Modem vehicles are crash damages designed to cause as little damage as possible both to vehicles and people imagine being hit by a RSJ no thank you! :shout::whatthe:

If car owners knew the extra insurance premium and danger to children most would remove them. :cry::cry:

These bars are not for the UK. we have no roos'

Alf

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
I think it was the suzuki ones that were dangerous as they had ridges with sharp edges where as others were big fat round chrome ones.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think it was the suzuki ones that were dangerous as they had ridges with sharp edges where as others were big fat round chrome ones.

When the big fat round ones hit the spine the rest of the body continues into the void either side and the spine snaps.

If you are really lucky it just shatters a leg.

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp

David
It is not the ridges at all it is the shear weight of metal most bumpers are plastic designed to crumple and give a soft knock in 1995 I had a Autosleeper Ford Flair I watched the Panorama TV program on bumpers and went out and removed mine in this country vehicles are not designed to carry the weight of a nudge bar at the extreme edge it will damage and twist the chassis if one gets a good knock if you watched the program and had children or grand children you would understand.

If they were any good for UK manufacturers would fit them and insurance companies would give discounts for fitting them, as it is they add premium or ban them.

A child getting tapped by one is hit by SOLID steel,not very good a slight glance by one will crush the bodywork on your Duetto instead of a slight mark on you plastic trim.
Why would anyone want one POSERS thats why

Alf

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back