Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Don't know if Jim is aware but if clicking on some of the ads on the right side of the forum it takes you away from MHF instead of opening a new window. It doesn't bother me but you don't want folk wandering off.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Don't know if Jim is aware but if clicking on some of the ads on the right side of the forum it takes you away from MHF instead of opening a new window. It doesn't bother me but you don't want folk wandering off.

I Mentioned it to Jim a couple of months ago, so he is aware.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

?

Deleted User
Right click the advert and open in new window/tab.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Thing is, if you own a website (I do) most think it is better to have an advert open in a new window rather than take you off site, yes you have a new window to look at the advert but, you still have the original website open in your browser so you are likely to look again. Once off site, you may not return. :)

OP
OP
FJmike

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Also happens when using the new links system

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Also happens when using the new links system
Don't see the point of these links, mentioned it yesterday day but @Jim was his usual sarcastic self, so let it lie , even put one on myself just to try it but don't really see the point , why would you wade through a load of links on here just to find something you can get on google in seconds, and have the people who are mentioned in the link been asked if they want to be on here, when I was doing webpages, it was always to be that you asked them first.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Don't see the point of these links, mentioned it yesterday day but @Jim was his usual sarcastic self, so let it lie , even put one on myself just to try it but don't really see the point , why would you wade through a load of links on here just to find something you can get on google in seconds,

Show me where you can get in seconds, links to motorhome related content, recommended by Funsters, with a thread discussing and reviewing those companies and products.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thing is, if you own a website (I do) most think it is better to have an advert open in a new window rather than take you off site, yes you have a new window to look at the advert but, you still have the original website open in your browser so you are likely to look again. Once off site, you may not return. :)

That may have been true before tabbed browsing. There are SEO benefits for links to open in a new tab.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
That may have been true before tabbed browsing. There are SEO benefits for links to open in a new tab.

Yes I meant Tab not Window.

So are you saying it is better for the visitor to go off your page onto the advertisers? I have always thought it better to try and keep "My site" on the browser and open the advert in another "Tab". MHF doesn't do that.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When you click a link, you go off page into a new tab. That is accepted industry practice.

OP
OP
FJmike

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
When you click a link, you go off page into a new tab. That is accepted industry practice.
I may have been mistaken before but both ads and links now open in new tab as Jim says

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If a link opens a brand new window, another instance of the browser running ..its annoying
If a link opens in the same page, ie loads on top of the page you're on.. its annoying
Google penalises sites that annoy its visitors :0

If a link opens in a new tab its good, no matter how far that link takes me I have original page available with just one click on the original tab.

That said. With some browsers you can choose whether you have a new tab or a new window.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back