Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
I am wanting to have a scooter rack fitted to my 07 Autocruise Starspirit. It would probably carry a 90cc scooter or small 125cc motorbike.
I understand from Autotrail that the overhang part of the chassis would not be strong enough to take the weight. However I met a fellow motorhomer in York who had a look underneath and his opinion was that it would be achievable with some strenghtening of the chassis.
Does anyone on the forum have any experience of this type of "problem". Any advice would be greatfully recieved, and any advice of where it could be done would be helpful too:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any advice would be greatfully recieved, and any advice of where it could be done would be helpful too:thumb:

Same old question, same old answer.

First you *must* do the weight calculation to see if you can hang that much weight off the back of the van, you probably cannot, so end of story.

Google the towbar sites, one has the calculations on line or back to basic secondary school physics and take moments about the rear axle.

OP
OP
finby

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
Thanks for the advice - I have already contacted Motorhome Towbars and am awaiting their reply::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
HAPPINESS - A STARSPIRIT AND AN OPEN ROAD !:thumb:

MISERY - A STARSPIRIT WITH A GOLDWING ON THE BACK AND THE FRONT WHEELS SIX INCHES IN THE AIR ::bigsmile:

Good luck. You may have to join the electric bike club.

Just in case any supplier is keen for a sale make sure you see the loading figures. There is no fudging of these figures, if you add motorcycle you may be left with no capacity to carry food and cloths and wine.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
You may find that you don't have enough payload left for the OH may be of help to you.:winky:

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You may find that you don't have enough payload left for the OH may be of help to you.:winky:

It could work the other way, you need her and her mother in the front seat to keep the front on the road. Now there's a sobering thought.

OP
OP
finby

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
Cheers Brian, but the answer is:
Jetteson the Mother in Law, and the cloths and the food and keep the wine:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back