Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Ilfracombe Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
15months + 4years before
Having previously filled water tank at home which i now found is not reccomended because of the extra weight, do i need to carry my own hose to access water or do sites usually have a hose on the tap? I will usually be using Camping and Caravanning Club sites.Many thanks Carol.:Smile:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Never seen a hose being supplied by the site. We carry our own hose, plus a bucket, watering can and a funnel.

Upvote 0

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
In my view, you cannot carry enough hoses !

The bigger camp sites usually have water on the pitch, smaller ones may not.

As for which type etc, lots available. Some recommend food grade hoses.
If you drink the water from the on board tank, (ie from the tap cold in squashes etc) then yes. If your going to boil the water for tea etc and use bottled water for drinking, (as I do) then don't bother with fancy hoses. See whats in B&Q etc and get a couple of coils.

Cheers

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Far better to have your own hose. I carry 2 one short & one about twice the length made from hose from B&Q with fittings attached to make joining both together possible.That way does not matter how far away tap is can normally get near enough. You know how your hose has been treated.

Don't trust hoses supplied have seen what people do with them.:cry:

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Henryhymer

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
Funster No
Recently in France saw someone using the hose provided by the campsite for fresh water with it stuck in their toilet waste canister to clean it out! (Yes it was a Brit. ) If that's not enough to persuade you to take your own hose.......! On some campsites the only drain for grey waste is below the fresh water tap so always best to carry some disinfectant wipes before attaching your hose.

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Unless I know that the site that I am going to has water on tap and close at hand I always fill my water tank at home before leaving.

Theres nothing worse than arriving and then having to kick off with filling up with water from a remote tap to make a cuppa.

I carry my own hose and a plastic water container with a fitting that allows you to pour the water without drowning yourself.

I never drink water from a tap unless it is boiled. Cold drink water comes from a bottle or maybe a can.

Jim
:Smile:

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
i never drink tap water unless it is sterlised with amber falling down liquide:ROFLMAO:

Why bother with the water. It makes the glass heavier.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
hi
I just use a watering can and every time i walk past the tap for the boys room i fill up , just have to worry that i get it all in the right order::
Wanderer

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I knew there must be other artists about ::bigsmile:

I don't understand the above?

You'd never catch me rearranging the external lockers to get three crates of beer in...'cos the fridge is full, the cupboard over the dinnett's, errr full, and there certainly wasn't a full cool box under the table:Blush:

Well, we were off for two and a half weeks!

Hoses, two blue(food) a must for us, it's not so much drinking it just I noticed 'the taste' with normal, even boiled, and have RV will leave home with a full tank for the most part. Joy of MH, pull up on site, and that's it, beer time, no setting up for me!

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I don't understand the above?

You'd never catch me rearranging the external lockers to get three crates of beer in...'cos the fridge is full, the cupboard over the dinnett's, errr full, and there certainly wasn't a full cool box under the table:Blush:

Well, we were off for two and a half weeks!
!

Are you sure that sounds like a short weekend.:winky:

Upvote 0

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Having previously filled water tank at home which i now found is not reccomended because of the extra weight, do i need to carry my own hose to access water or do sites usually have a hose on the tap? I will usually be using Camping and Caravanning Club sites.Many thanks Carol.:Smile:
Don't forget the hose-to-tap connectors as well - saves getting your trousers/legs wet when trying to hold a pipe on the tap:Doh:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you may sometimes find a short, maybe 1mtr, hose attached to the tap.....

dont use it!

i 'v seen people washing out toilet cassettes using this hose.:Angry:with the hose IN the cassette:Eeek:

buy as many different tap adaptors as you can find for your specific hose, hoselock have a good selection, as there are many different tap types out there......thread size, no thread etc.
dont be afraid to remove any existing adaptors to use your own.:thumb:

if you fit an inline water filter you can use water from just about any source for drinking without problem.

better still...forget the water and stock up on beer/wine instead::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
you may sometimes find a short, maybe 1mtr, hose attached to the tap.....

dont use it!

i 'v seen people washing out toilet cassettes using this hose.:Angry:with the hose IN the cassette:Eeek:

All this time, and there I was thinking it was rust:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Upvote 0

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
One short hose and a 15 litre collapsible container. Just keep topping it up.

P.S. Got a 22 year old Jack Russel called Rusty. Seems an even more appropriate name now! :Sad::Blush:

Upvote 0

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I`ve got a long hose with a fitting a short pipe with a rubber connector sometimes an aquaroll and a little submersible pump to empty the container into the tank it saves lifting heavy buckets but then I`m gettin old and lazy and weak and:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
yes a hose and a couple of connections ie screw on and push on to be sure of a fit, funnel to top up by 5lt bottle to save moving mh all in a days work.:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

roger buckley

Free Member
Apr 16, 2009
northants
Funster No
MH
hymer c class
Exp
since 2007
hi
My experience is that you do , and that you should not forget to take, and bring back the adaptor to go on the tap head
Regards Roger

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

carol ilfracombe

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Ilfracombe Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
15months + 4years before
Good idea about the watering can. I can keep topping my tank up after initially filling at tap without moving it over the 3/4 weeks on site (see introduce myself carol ilfracombe).:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
Sometimes we use a large water container and fill the tank directly by removing the seat cushion to get to the large filler cap on top of the tank below the bench seat. We can fill it to the top with 6 very manageable trips to the tap.

Upvote 0

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
In lots of places, especially if you get a bit adventurous, a watering can will be the only way you can get water from the tap to your tank.
For filling your tank, don't bother getting food-grade hoses unless you are going to have mains pressure hookup. Before filling the tank just run enough water through to flush it out properly, fill the tank quickly and when you pack it away get as much water out as possible and join the two ends together.

We've never used bottled water. Got better things to do with my money. Good alternative though if you have healt problems or compromised immune system.

For filling from taps without threads, you should be able to get a clamp-on hose converter. Most taps with smooth spouts have either 1/2" or 3/4" OD spouts.

if you fit an inline water filter you can use water from just about any source for drinking without problem.

This advice needs so much clarification and qualification that unless you are prepared to do extensive research and use the filter within specified operating conditions it would be much safer to ignore it.

Upvote 0

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Well, I have never needed top move mine near a tap to fill up, I just use 3 x 100ft hoses that way I can reach any tap, I have even ran mine through the window of the toilet block/washing up station before now and hooked up to the sink taps there :Smile:

I have NEVER used inline filters for either the UK or abroad, I usually make a cuppa with it (hence boil it) or fill up my filter jug and put it in the fridge for nice clear cool water for drinking :thumb:
I flush my tank,pipes and taps once a year with Milton just to be sure.

Never had a tummy upset in all the years I have done it ::bigsmile:

Hope this helps.

Boo

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Quote by Papa:
if you fit an inline water filter you can use water from just about any source for drinking without problem. Unquote

This advice needs so much clarification and qualification that unless you are prepared to do extensive research and use the filter within specified operating conditions it would be much safer to ignore it.

I have to agree with Tony, mine is supposedly one of the best, but the manufacturer doesn't guarantee it will produce perfectly safe water from a contaminated source.

Olley

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Flat reel - Yup. What can I say - it works err just like a normal hose only snag being that you have to get it ALL off the reel to use it despite only being 2ft from the tap* - whereas that wouldn't be strictly necessary with a normal rigid hose. OTOH it does mean ALL the water we get on each occasion is from that tap and hasn't been hanging round the hose since wherever and WHENever) we filled up last!

* well we prolly wouldn't do that, 2 ft away, could be a job for the bucket or the collapsible water container plus in either case, the flexible funnel ! - or if we were on site for some time a trip to local DIY for about 3 ft of normal hose to attach to said tap for the duration (assuming fully serviced pitch)

Dunno how well they last though, twas a freebie with t'van !

Upvote 0
May 22, 2008
Funster No
5 litre plastic water container for boiled drinks, tea coffee etc, 10 litre watering can for tank water, each time you refill the 5 litre bottle take the watering can with you , fill it and pour
it into the tank, easy peasy, why don't you travel with water in your water tank? its part of your payload !!!:Eeek::Eeek:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back