Caravan problems (1 Viewer)

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
In March of 2015 at the Newark show I bought a caravan to revert back from a motorhome,The caravan was a 2012 model and looked in excellent condition.just prior to our trip to Spain we noticed cracks in the front and around the gas locker which looked like it had been in a bad accident and arriving back From Spain this weekend I rang the previous owner who informed me that it had come unhitched when he was going over a ramp and smashed the front end. His dealer said it was'nt viable to be repaired and he got a new caravan under his insurance cover.
So now we're thinking has it been repaired by a reputable dealer and is it actually safe.and do I have any comeback on the dealer.
Alan

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I cant really offer any sensible advice to your question.

But ask the previous owner if he took any pictures of the damage? Most people would and then at least you would have an indication of why it was not a viable repair. (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Unless its on an insurance database somewhere ( i dont know of one) how would the dealer know it had been repaired.
The previous owners insurers may have sold it at auction and a repairer has rebuilt it.

I dont think there is any comeback on the selling dealer....unless they are the auction buyers and repairers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well if you can see cracks it wasn't repaired properly that's for sure, if the front plastic or fibreglass.

Is it safe? Most likely if it was just damage to the front bodywork, the only thing that would make it unsafe would be chassis damage.

I don't know where you stand with the dealer, possibly it depends what on what he told you about the van.

Martin

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Depends the definition of viable I would guess. If the previous owner had had it from new the insured value may differ from the actual value

Also try to see the same model caravan of the same age. If the other 2012 has cracks as well it would be considered a build issue and you would not be able to link it to any repair

I would also hazard a guess that the paperwork when you bought it doesn't say that it has or hasn't been repaired so again hard to complain about.

OP
OP
Alan
Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Depends the definition of viable I would guess. If the previous owner had had it from new the insured value may differ from the actual value

Also try to see the same model caravan of the same age. If the other 2012 has cracks as well it would be considered a build issue and you would not be able to link it to any repair

I would also hazard a guess that the paperwork when you bought it doesn't say that it has or hasn't been repaired so again hard to complain about.

I believe the motorhome was brand new and it came adrift from his car in the first few months I of his ownership. The cracks on the front became obvious when the filler they have used has discoloured with the sun and on closer inspection the bottom of the gas locker and skirt have broken right through and it looks like it has been repaired with fibre glass also the front window has been replaced. A couple of pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 105

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I believe the motorhome was brand new and it came adrift from his car in the first few months I of his ownership. The cracks on the front became obvious when the filler they have used has discoloured with the sun and on closer inspection the bottom of the gas locker and skirt have broken right through and it looks like it has been repaired with fibre glass also the front window has been replaced. A couple of pics
In which case if it were a few months old the insurance probably would be new for new, so the caravan would have been replaced under insurance and traded out.

Have you discussed this with your dealer?

OP
OP
Alan
Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
In which case if it were a few months old the insurance probably would be new for new, so the caravan would have been replaced under insurance and traded out.

Have you discussed this with your dealer?
I'm going to take it to the dealers tomorrow and see what he says,he has'nt seemed very helpful on the phone.
Thanks for your help
Alan

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would ask the owner who his insurance were and see what they say I would have thought by the sound of it they have written it off for dismantling they may or may not be interested in what happened.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
From the pics it looks like it has been bodged up, the front end of a caravan is eitherca GRP moulding or a plastic abs moulding. With that sort of damage the whole front end should have been replaced.
I would insist the dealer has the front end replaced or demand your money back.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suspect unlike cars caravans can't actually be written off as they have no log book. It may have been deemed uneconomical to repair by the insurance company but someone then bought the caravan and did a "repair". Probably not a lot you can do unless there is a case for misrepresentation.

Take legal advice especially if the caravan is unusable.

OP
OP
Alan
Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
I suspect unlike cars caravans can't actually be written off as they have no log book. It may have been deemed uneconomical to repair by the insurance company but someone then bought the caravan and did a "repair". Probably not a lot you can do unless there is a case for misrepresentation.

Take legal advice especially if the caravan is unusable.
Thanks I thought that you had to be informed if a caravan had been extensively repaired.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks I thought that you had to be informed if a caravan had been extensively repaired.

I understood it that you only had to be told if he knew and you asked.

Jul 30, 2015
Barnsley, South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail, Tracker FB
Exp
45 yrs Tugging
A caravan of that age would have a CRIS
DOCUMENT which relates to the Chassis no
Being on all the windows.
It is supplied with new vans and goes with it when sold if it was written off it should be recorded at CRISIS (Google it to get the details of how it works ).

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It is supplied with new vans and goes with it when sold if it was written off it should be recorded at CRISIS (Google it to get the details of how it works ).

Yes, I believe this is so.... Has CRIS been informed..? Do you have it Chris registered ? If so does the certificate no' corespond with the chassis..?

OP
OP
Alan
Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
The chis number is on all the windows except one which is the front one where the damage has occurred.I will try to check with Chris. am going to see the dealer tomorrow to see his view on the caravan and after that I will have a clearer picture on the sItuation. I will keep the forum informed of the outcome.
Alan

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks, thats just reminded me I havent returned my CRiS document yet.
Only had tje caravan since last summer. :whistle:

Jul 30, 2015
Barnsley, South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail, Tracker FB
Exp
45 yrs Tugging
@alan
when you go to see the dealer tomorrow ask him to put the identification no into the CRiS website
and check it out in your pressence,if he is playing a straight game he should have no problem
doing this and letting you see the computer screen.
if it had been written off in a previous life it should show.
then it is up to you what you do next,if it has been damaged enough to write it off and repaired he should have and most likely checked it out andthen still sold it for a good profit.
ithink i would be telling him that the goods were not of the quality required and would like my money back please.
I think it is £14/95 for you to get a CRiS check

OP
OP
Alan
Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
@alan
when you go to see the dealer tomorrow ask him to put the identification no into the CRiS website
and check it out in your pressence,if he is playing a straight game he should have no problem
doing this and letting you see the computer screen.
if it had been written off in a previous life it should show.
then it is up to you what you do next,if it has been damaged enough to write it off and repaired he should have and most likely checked it out andthen still sold it for a good profit.
ithink i would be telling him that the goods were not of the quality required and would like my money back please.
I think it is £14/95 for you to get a CRiS check
Thanks for that info i'l try and get him to do the check
Alan

Jul 30, 2015
Barnsley, South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail, Tracker FB
Exp
45 yrs Tugging
@ Alan
Did you pay any of the price of the caravan
by Credit Card or Hire Purchase if you did and it comes out to be Queer you might just might get some help from either one of the
above forms of credit

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know I always seem to be argumentative on here, but from where I'm looking, if you have had it a year and been to Spain and back in it, I wouldn't think there is going to be much come back on it.:(

OP
OP
Alan
Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Thanks for every ones comments and tips. I visited the caravan dealer today and after the service manager looked at the front panel they agreed it needed replacing and the repair had been bodged. The caravan criss number had'nt come up when they checked it on purchase of the caravan and had sold it to me without any knowledge of any damage..
Alan

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
that is good news even though i take the dealers comments about not knowing with a pinch of salt

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Thanks for every ones comments and tips. I visited the caravan dealer today and after the service manager looked at the front panel they agreed it needed replacing and the repair had been bodged. The caravan criss number had'nt come up when they checked it on purchase of the caravan and had sold it to me without any knowledge of any damage..
Alan
Bet they didn't check the Cris reg .in your presence though ,but at least its going to be sorted ,so good news .

OP
OP
Alan
Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
I know I always seem to be argumentative on here, but from where I'm looking, if you have had it a year and been to Spain and back in it, I wouldn't think there is going to be much come back on it.:(
I bought the caravan to go to Spain and when I found the damage it was the week before I was leaving for Spain,I rang the dealer at the time and explained the damage and that I would'nt be back for four months.
At 74 my winters in Spain are more important to me than sitting in England waiting for a caravan to be repaired.
Alan

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I bought the caravan to go to Spain and when I found the damage it was the week before I was leaving for Spain,I rang the dealer at the time and explained the damage and that I would'nt be back for four months.
At 74 my winters in Spain are more important to me than sitting in England waiting for a caravan to be repaired.
Alan
Well done then, glad I was wrong, there would have been a lot of dealers that wouldn't have looked at it(y):)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Alan
Hope I'm thinking of going to Spain in five years(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back