LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
looking for some feedback on either of these sat nav's please. Garmin RV760LMT or the Aguri RV700 DVR, both are for motorhomes and both do Europe which is a must. Anyone got one, good and bad points please. Or any other recommendations. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
44 views but no replies, so you all must use maps. I must learn to read. :D

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
As I only use the tomtom camping & caravan version and would not recommend any other cannot comment on above, however tomtom 100% recommended.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
I'm also interested in the Aguri as it features a built-in dash cam. I currently have the camper van software on a TomTom that will suffice for the next year or so. It's not 100% reliable but I've got used to its foibles.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We like our Garmin Camper 760.

I hadn't heard of Aguri before so just had a look at their web site and had a chat with an online agent. He told me "The Directors and team at Aguri are all from Snooper. Snooper was bought out by a US firm and at that time the Directors left and formed Aguri. The product is similar in performance to Snooper Ventura."

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I'm a Garmin fan... Have been since I know not when...
First Garmin was on motorcycle back in 2003... Travelled most of Euro.. With less than 20 hiccups... on bike...
The thing I like is Basecamp.. PC based route planning software... Which allows you to view on Google World too..
Because for me... It's about the journey and not necessarily the destination... Espec on a bike...
I have the Camper version in van and todate has behaved - all but once...
That said... Being a sat-nav anorack I don't expect - or rely on what they say - insofar as i can check "routing" in Google Earth ... Prior to a tour.. I.e during planning stage :)

That said.. I have no experience of the other make...

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Used Garmin for four years without problems. Can recommend but no knowledge of Aguri.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Cheers guys keep going, I am leaning towards the Garmin I must admit but was interested in the Aguri, although they are a new concern, if they used to be snooper then that can't be bad.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Cheers guys keep going, I am leaning towards the Garmin I must admit but was interested in the Aguri, although they are a new concern, if they used to be snooper then that can't be bad.
Had snooper for two years cant fault it ,so if Aguri is made by the same set up I would be interested as its a lot cheaper than the one I bought with all the campsites etc on ..

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have the garmin camper and have been happy with it so far. We looked at the snooper but it isn't compatible with macs so I wonder if the same applies to aguri.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have the Garmin Dezl760. Always had Garmin from the days when all they did were handheld Gps with no mapping.
Tried many others, but still prefer Garmin, but none of them are 100% perfect

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
My TomTom is 10 years old this summer and I am very happy with it even if TomTom no longer support my model. If it stops working I will bin it and buy another, until then will carry on, especially as I have a Tom Baker voice on it!!

Mar 1, 2016
South Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Glad this topic has been aired interested in same two sat navs the garmin has more negative feed back than the aguri but maybe because the garmin have sold more units
Think I wil go with the aguri

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I think the op mentioned the aguri/ snooper having a dash cam.
The garmin can be used as a reversing cam monitor if required.
We have the Garmin .. no probs at all. Prior to thst used co pilot. Would never consider a tom tom or snooper.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I have used the Garmin, its the sat nav driver in the Pioneer double din stereo that's installed in my Sprinter & I find that its really good. I do not have any experience of the Aguri so couldn't help there. I have used a Tom Tom but that was infuriating. Good luck with your choice.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I think the op mentioned the aguri/ snooper having a dash cam.
The garmin can be used as a reversing cam monitor if required.
We have the Garmin .. no probs at all. Prior to thst used co pilot. Would never consider a tom tom or snooper.

Had the garmin for a couple of years and it was great in the car ,got me everywhere I needed with no hassle except it would try to take me down silly little tracks even though I had it set for fastest routes rather than shortest.. So absolutely no use in motorhome kept it for the car ,but bought a snooper motorhome version for motorhome a d its been so much better than I expected . ..can't talk about tom tom as never had one .

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I use the Garmin 760. I've loaded it with 130,000 POIs, all the Aires, CP's, supermarkets and fast food places (for that fine dining experience) across Europe. It does have pretty good voice recognition capabilities for changing location on the go, although this works better in the UK than abroad as the software won't accept foreign language places orally. It can be a bit slow to pick up the satellites and occasionally drops the signal, but is heaps easier to use than Co-pilot which I run as a backup.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I miss AutoRoute. I used it for planning long before it was bought out by MS and the features I really liked were the 'sliders' for setting driving preferences. Tom Tom is too literal: the fastest route planning is fine but if you use the 'shortest' option it takes it literally. It once sent me through a housing estate with speed bumps to save 100 yards at a T junction. AutoRoute was much smarter.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Garmin for me every time now having used a TomTom for many years. One of the best features of a Garmin as @Fletton has already commented is using Basecamp mapping on PC or laptop to pre-plan your own route rather than leave it to the device.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Glad this topic has been aired interested in same two sat navs the garmin has more negative feed back than the aguri but maybe because the garmin have sold more units
Think I wil go with the aguri

JonNic, could you please buy yours as soon as possible and test it in uk and Europe and let me know if it is ok.:D I must admit I am tempted with the Aguri myself. I need to save up first, so hopefully there will be more reviews on it by then.(y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's a pity the Aguri isn't available to view/test anywhere. I like the Garmin but am on the look-out for a second device to compare in case of questionable routing if we're not able to use Basecamp.

A machine using iGo would be ideal but I haven't managed to identify one that has official updating through Naviextras so licensing validity is, therefore, questionable.

I bought a Mio Spirit 6970 LM Truck but have had to send that back because it crashed as soon as it was asked to process a fraction of the data that the Garmin does (software deficiencies apparently).

There's no way I would use a Snooper as I couldn't add my parking POI set so it looks increasingly like TomTom is the only choice left.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
It's a pity the Aguri isn't available to view/test anywhere. I like the Garmin but am on the look-out for a second device to compare in case of questionable routing if we're not able to use Basecamp.

One thing I've noticed about the Garmin.. With my sizes and weight ( 7m 2.3, 3, 4250t )... It basically treats me as HGV and routes accordingly - where possible.. On the occassion i've not used Basecamp...

Obviously this is not fool proof.. And there are lots of warnings about access on many roads... But it is at this point I pay more attention to surroundings and signage... I.e look for bus stops etc... Cos if a bus can get through... So can I.... Sorta thing. :)

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back