Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We've found ourselves a bit unexpectedly going temporarily full time (if that makes any sense at all). We'd been considering letting out our house and departing on an adventure when a situation where friends got flooded out of their home gave us a surprise opportunity. They are renting our house (paid for by insurance) and we are going full time for at least 6 months. This is a win win situation as far as we are concerned. They have somewhere pleasant to live while the disaster at their house is fixed and we get to rent our house to people we know and can trust to look after it.
So now we face two weeks of intensive packing and clearing before we set off into the great blue yonder.
Wow!
First question - we are planning to buy a trailer for golf clubs, trolleys, utility tent etc. We need one that we (both ladies) can manoeuvre when it isn't attached to the van yet big enough to take our stuff. We used to be tuggers and have also towed a boat with the van so not worrying about the towing - we just need to be able to unhitch it and shift it easily when we arrive at a site. Suggestions would be much appreciated.
Second question - if anyone has any wild camping favourites in Scotland please could you PM me one or two?
TTFN
Mags

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hello Mags ,Halfords have a lightweight trailer Erde is the make I had one some years, ago was very good I had to build it myself as back then it was in kit form but now you can have them ready made ,don't foget spare wheel for it :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's almost impossible to reverse a small trailer if you can't see it - OK if you have a reversing camera but otherwise not. You can unhitch of course but that may not be convenient or even possible if you are on a hill.

But have a good adventure and make sure your rental agreement covers what happens if your friends can't return to their house after six months - because that's quite possible. My MIL was out of her home for nearly a year before it was fixed.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Wow mags that sounds brilliant a win win situation, hope to catch up soon. :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Maybe a larger trailer with a motor-mover fitted.

Only needs a small car battery to run it which could be fitted in the trailer with a split charge relay to keep it topped up.
Manouvering up and down hills no problem....the tyres will loose grip before the mover stalls.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we use a small 6x4x4 tow-a-van box trailer for the scooters and other kit. watertight and easy to move around, plus it has brakes unlike anything smaller

plan is to fit a motor mover to it though

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Maybe a larger trailer with a motor-mover fitted.

Only needs a small car battery to run it which could be fitted in the trailer with a split charge relay to keep it topped up.
Manouvering up and down hills no problem....the tyres will loose grip before the mover stalls.

I'm with this idea.... Makes sense... And easy,
Without being patronising.... I admire you two, have read your blogs all the way through and follow it so hopefully now your temp full timing I'll get to read some more...?
(y)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We had a single axel box trailer from tickner trailers. They made it with a longer a frame at the front so it cleared the bike rack on back of the van. It had rear doors and a front side so was easy to get stuff out. To aid seeing the rear of the trailer for reversing you can have 2 rubber arm led lights fitted low down at the back of the trailer. You will see them fitted on continental trucks to give you idea what I mean. It was a very useful trailer and held loads of stuff.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Know nothing about trailers but I'm sure you'll have a billiant time.
I went from on a 6 week holiday and it turned into 10 months full timing. Enjoyed it so much that after 3 months back in my house I did another year full time in the motorhome. On my own except for the 2 dogs and 2 cats, enjoyed every minute.
Enjoy!

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I'm with this idea.... Makes sense... And easy,
Without being patronising.... I admire you two, have read your blogs all the way through and follow it so hopefully now your temp full timing I'll get to read some more...?
(y)
Thanks for that :) - and yes, the blog will start again as soon as we leave. Hoping to set it up with contents so that scrolling isn't necessary.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
It's almost impossible to reverse a small trailer if you can't see it - OK if you have a reversing camera but otherwise not. You can unhitch of course but that may not be convenient or even possible if you are on a hill.

But have a good adventure and make sure your rental agreement covers what happens if your friends can't return to their house after six months - because that's quite possible. My MIL was out of her home for nearly a year before it was fixed.

We're not worried if it ends up longer than 6 months. Happy to be being paid to travel! It'll be a six month lease with month by month renewable at the end of the initial 6 months.
... and we do have a reversing camera so will maybe be ok.
Thanks for the good advice
M

Reactions: DBK

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume from your postings that you're doing a proper lease contract which is good - regardless of their being friends it is vital to have one to protect both your and your tenant's rights.

Don't forget to talk to your insurance company as they'll need to know that you're letting it out and may improse exclusions/restrictions/extra costs etc, you'll also have to do a self-assessment tax return - even if you won't earn enough to pay tax you still have to declare the income.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Well done enjoy your travels and adventure (y)

Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
Not sure if you still are in need of advice for free camping in Scotland but I'm Inverness based ad we regularly head west for weekends with the kiddies. There are literally hundreds if spots dotted all over for free camping. North Skye is lovely, ullapool north, assynt, there is a lovely carpark at achnarhaird bay (ignore old no overnight parking sign)... You could even climb stac pollaidh on route. Also, in torridon the council have a free campsite with toilst and showers!. Lovely deserted beach at redpoint near gairloch. You can stay overnight in the carpark spend the day morning at the beach then lunch at the badchro inn.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Have you checked that you are covered for full timing on your vehicle insurance. As you have let your property it no longer counts as YOUR residence. Most insurances have a trip limit (not just for going abroad) so exceeding this limit would render your insurance invalid other than for the minimum legal cover. They also have a requirement that you are on the electoral roll.

You need a contact address for insurance and your licence and Vehicle registration with DVLA. Your friends could act as your contact address.

We have been full timing with Cover through Comfort Insurance for the last 6 years. Our daughter's address is our contact address. True full timing insurance is not the same as 365 days cover advertised by some companies. Comfort do not require you to be on an electoral roll or have a UK residence. However the insurance is not cheap and can cost double to treble your current premium.

Have you though about voting? See our thread about "Registering to vote with no fixed address".

Unless you are moving about on a regular basis you could still be liable for Council Tax by staying long term on a site or repeatedly returning to the one site. See Motorhome365 Forum which is a sister site to this one.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Not sure if you still are in need of advice for free camping in Scotland but I'm Inverness based ad we regularly head west for weekends with the kiddies. There are literally hundreds if spots dotted all over for free camping. North Skye is lovely, ullapool north, assynt, there is a lovely carpark at achnarhaird bay (ignore old no overnight parking sign)... You could even climb stac pollaidh on route. Also, in torridon the council have a free campsite with toilst and showers!. Lovely deserted beach at redpoint near gairloch. You can stay overnight in the carpark spend the day morning at the beach then lunch at the badchro inn.
Thank you so much. That is really helpful. We're heading north in about three weeks and will note all these suggestions. At Peterborough just now and the weather is distinctly Scottish

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Have you checked that you are covered for full timing on your vehicle insurance. As you have let your property it no longer counts as YOUR residence. Most insurances have a trip limit (not just for going abroad) so exceeding this limit would render your insurance invalid other than for the minimum legal cover. They also have a requirement that you are on the electoral roll.

You need a contact address for insurance and your licence and Vehicle registration with DVLA. Your friends could act as your contact address.

We have been full timing with Cover through Comfort Insurance for the last 6 years. Our daughter's address is our contact address. True full timing insurance is not the same as 365 days cover advertised by some companies. Comfort do not require you to be on an electoral roll or have a UK residence. However the insurance is not cheap and can cost double to treble your current premium.

Have you though about voting? See our thread about "Registering to vote with no fixed address".

Unless you are moving about on a regular basis you could still be liable for Council Tax by staying long term on a site or repeatedly returning to the one site. See Motorhome365 Forum which is a sister site to this one.
Thanks for all that useful info. Our current insurance finishes in June so we're ok just now as we have a 90 day per trip maximum and we're having a week off in a rented cottage mid way. We also had a week in our sons house two weeks ago. We're with Comfort so will make sure we're covered for the next policy. Need to sort out the electoral role though. Great advice.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
No need to be on the Electoral Roll for Full Time Cover with Comfort. If you want to keep your vote register as "of no fixed address" with your existing registration officer, using your old address or your sons as a contact address.

Contact Comfort now as your insurance may not be valid if it is still at your old home address.

Information and changes we need to know about

You
must take reasonable care to provide complete and accurate answers to the questions we ask when

you take out, make changes to, and renew your policy.

Please tell Comfort Insurance immediately to let us know if there are any changes to the information set out in the certifcate of motor insurance or on your policy schedule. You must also tell Comfort Insurance

immediately to let us know about the following changes:

● A change to the people insured, or to be insured.

● Motoring convictions (driving licence endorsements, fixed penalties or pending prosecutions for any
motoring offences) for any of the people insured, or to be insured.

● Criminal convictions for any of the people insured, or to be insured.

● A change of vehicle.

● Any vehicle modifications.

● Any change affecting ownership of the vehicle.

Any change in the way that the vehicle is used.

If you are in any doubt, please contact Comfort Insurance.

When we are notified of a change, we will tell Comfort Insurance if this affects your policy, for example

whether we are able to accept the change and if so, whether the change will result in revised terms and/or

premium being applied to your policy.

If the information provided by you is not complete and accurate:

we may cancel your policy and refuse to pay any claim, or

we may not pay any claim in full, or

we may revise the premium and/or change the compulsory excess, or

● the extent of the cover may be affected.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back