Fiat Cab Respray (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Our van is now 8 years old and after 50k miles we have a lot of chips out of the paintwork. Mainly on the bonnet but also scattered everywhere else, plus a bit of rust where the over-cab moulding comes down over the drivers side of the windscreen.

I have asked a local bodyshop for a price to tidy her up a bit, and also for a full respray. Has anyone else had this done and if so what was the ballpark figure?

I should be grateful for any comments.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
No comments other than ill be watching this thread now as ive been thinking the same(y)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
A lot of it will depend on the preparation ,you may not be able to get a warranty with the work as there is rust involved ,the hassle part will be getting to the surrounding areas where the rust is present and if you cant get to both sides of the metal that makes killing the rust almost impossible.
The sealants will have to come out and so will the windows and rubber strips , and trim.
Then do you want the old paint totally removed and any pits filled in?
A lot of it depends on the standard of job that you require.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Hi Our MH is 11 years old with 35K on the clock and the bonnet has a number of chips. I am looking at a "wrap" coating for the cab. Might be worth considering!
http://www.vehiclewrapsuk.com.
Hope you get the cost advice for a cab respray
Ian

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Hi Our MH is 11 years old with 35K on the clock and the bonnet has a number of chips. I am looking at a "wrap" coating for the cab. Might be worth considering!
http://www.vehiclewrapsuk.com.
Hope you get the cost advice for a cab respray
Ian

ian you can get a wrap coating but the problem is that unless they have changed in the last 2 years,the wraps have no durability , youd be better off getting a budget paint job imho

Ive resprayed cars,trucks and caravans also done a bit of wrapping too ,not looking for business as i sold my business 6 years ago

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
image.jpeg
Had our Fiat Bessacarr bonnet and a couple of small side panels (just above the lights) sprayed metallic navy blue as so fed up of a dirty bonnet - we took them off and took them to a local sprayer and they did the job for £100. We are really pleased with the result and have no trouble finding our van now amongst a sea of white ones! It was £100. Considering having other panels done.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
ian you can get a wrap coating but the problem is that unless they have changed in the last 2 years,the wraps have no durability , youd be better off getting a budget paint job imho

Ive resprayed cars,trucks and caravans also done a bit of wrapping too ,not looking for business as i sold my business 6 years ago
Thank you very much for that advice didn't know it was not durable beyond that period.Think the idea above of taking bonnet off to have it resprayed seems a very good idea indeed
Ian

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Like the idea of the blue bonnet and panels, I shall give it some consideration. I had thought of just having the bonnet done but when you look closely at the doors and pillars we have a lot of chips.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I'm going to get a quote for a product called paintshield ,it's a clear film that stops stone chips, the problem with painting older vans is sunfade ,if you have the bonnet removed and resprayed the rest of the van looks a different colour

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I'm going to get a quote for a product called paintshield ,it's a clear film that stops stone chips, the problem with painting older vans is sunfade ,if you have the bonnet removed and resprayed the rest of the van looks a different colour

And even more so if you spray the bonnet blue and the vans white. .haha. I,ll just get my coat and I will be off then. Haha sorry couldn't resist.. Roy

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Will, Its a couple of years ago now, we had a hymer 700 starline, and saw the same model a Canock resprays, which had just had a complete respray, it looked so good I stopped and had a close look. One of the partners came out to see what I was doing, and saw our van. I asked how much this completed respray was costing the owner...... 6K PLUS VAT was the reply. He looked round ours, said not so much rebuilding, 5k plus vat.

we did not proceed.

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
I can see £5/6k for a full respray, what I'm getting a price for is the bonnet, two doors, two wing panels and the windscreen surround. Everything else up front on the Ducato is plastic, which looks surprisingly good as it happens.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
I can see £5/6k for a full respray, what I'm getting a price for is the bonnet, two doors, two wing panels and the windscreen surround. Everything else up front on the Ducato is plastic, which looks surprisingly good as it happens.
And so does the paintwork on our Fiat so as a consequence the blue bonnet doesn't make the rest of the paint look faded :)

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Got my quote back, ballpark £1000 for full cab respray, much as I expected. However, to do bonnet and two plastic panels,like Landscaper, plus touch up on other chips around £200-ish +v.a.t. Looking at the van, we quite fancy either a green to match the decals, or, a grey. Silver the same as the front grill is also a possibility. What does everyone think. Many thanks for all the comments so far.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
not very for me anyway-would attract flies and seagulls!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Got my quote back, ballpark £1000 for full cab respray, much as I expected. However, to do bonnet and two plastic panels,like Landscaper, plus touch up on other chips around £200-ish +v.a.t. Looking at the van, we quite fancy either a green to match the decals, or, a grey. Silver the same as the front grill is also a possibility. What does everyone think. Many thanks for all the comments so far.

A dark grey or green I would say. Silver might look a bit odd, not enough contrast with the white.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
We took ages before settling on a colour - but decided if we were going to go for it then we would go with a bold contrasting colour - hence the blue. However what we didn't realise is that there are many, many, many navy blues so it was complicated! We had ours done just up the road from us and if anyone wants details let me know - near Exeter.

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Made a decision, after faking up a few pictures with Photoshop we, (my wife, I am useless with colours), have decided on silver like the radiator grill for the bonnet and two panels above the lights. There are a few dings in the bonnet to knock out and numerous chips and one little patch of rust to sort as well. When completed I shall post before and after pics.

We (she) are talking about re-upholstery now, we did get new carpets last year and have no thoughts of changing the van, never see any layouts that we like, or can afford.

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
As promised, before and after. Not much difference but close up looks really good.
20160302_164737.jpg 20160314_100058.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
that actually looks pretty good. i was thinking that it might look like a bumped van repaired with panels from another coloured van

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm quite chuffed at the result. Although the picture doesn't show it the silver is a good match. The two plastic panels are made from ABS plastic and had lost their polish, look like new now.

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
The rust was above the windscreen where the overcab GRP meets the top of the cab, only an inch long, the GRP was rubbing on the cab. He has taken it back and hand painted it as the van couldn't fit in his spray booth. The finish is so good you cannot see it but it is possible to feel it when running your finger over it. He recommends checking it every year, there is plenty of meat left so I'll follow his advice and take it back as required.

I'm very impressed with his work and will certainly use him again. Reid's Accident Repair Centre, Stranraer.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I saw my mates bonnet respray for the first time today. Could give you some ideas - any thing is possible with an air brush.

12728992_10153500461068178_2606216688122670259_n.jpg

12715430_10153500461058178_5913617292284824178_n.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back