What's the dumbest thing you've done to your van? (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
OK, have to confess. Last week, I checked the weather, and saw the temps were dropping to sub zero when I wouldn't be near the van. I have been using the frost protect, but I don't really trust it, and we had -2 and -3 predicted. I duly dumped the boiler, but I was in a rush, and didn't run through my usual procedure. I left the water draining, and headed off, forgetting to switch off the water heater on the electrics (I think you can see where this is going)
I arrived back at the van yesterday, lovely day, so busied myself getting everything ready, putting my luggage inside, keeping the muddy dog out etc., and grabbed the EHU lead. Plug in and switch on, and then grab dog and head to the van, I then hear this sort of bubbling fizzing sound coming from the back of the van! What the Frak is that I think. In an instant it dawns on me! The heater element is on, and as James May would say, "Oh Cock!" I literally run for the control panel hit isolate the water heater.
I left it 20 minutes before hitting the water pump to fill the boiler. You can't imagine my relief after waiting a further 30 minutes when I got piping hot waterfrom the taps.
So what is your most dumb/senior moment dealing with your van, can you top nearly frying a boiler?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Disconnect the car, still on the A frame and watch it roll into the back of the Motorhome with a sickening crunch:(

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Drive off with the pole aerial still attached.

I realised my mistake when it hit a tree. :rofl::rofl:

Hymie.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
When I had a caravan I always took the brake off when the legs were wound down on the very slightly sloping drive. You guessed it, one day wound legs back up without first setting the brakes. It took a couple of seconds to realise why the van had begun rolling back at me. It then it dawned on me what a pillock I'd just turned out to be, managed to stop it but then had to perform a contortionist manoeuvre to try winding the back legs back down whilst holding the caravan back. A quick look around to see if any of the neighbours were rolling around in fits of laughter, got away with it, job done.
Don't you find that its always when we're rushing that we do daft things? (n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Nearly nearly nearly drove off with the motorhome on hook up at home ( very short lead ) . Suddenly remembered when I'd gone about two yards, let's just say the lead was " tight " n yes it is when we hurry !

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
When we had a caravan I drove off with the motor mover still wound onto the tyres. A little way along the road I noticed smoke coming from the wheels!! Needless to say the rollers were smooth so they cost a bit to replace. Easy mistake I told my husband when he arrived on site after he finished work!!
Bought the motorhome last year and nothing dumb happened yet ( but I haven't got round to driving it yet)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Years ago I once drove off with the EHU still attached! Got yanked out at the van but thankfully no serious damage to the site leccy post. Just needed to re-wire the plug end and all was well. Van was intact.

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
It's strange candapack. I used to pack, hitch up and drive to venue then unhitch and completely set up the caravan including water, waste etc and it always seemed that as soon as I had completed all those tasks and was just about to sit down, hubby used to arrive. He Worked in London and by the time he got home and got caravan sorted it would be late so I took over and he just arrived when all set up. I swear he hung around behind a tree until I had finished!! YET I still haven't driven the motor home. Not sure whether it's because of the size (only 7.2 meters long) or if it's that hubby would be sitting next to me making me feel nervous.

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
My wife can drive the van ( she's brilliant at it and did the CC course ) but ................. I LOVE driving n I mean love it , don't get tired ( tho do do the rest after 2 hrs malarkey) so the fact is I do 99% of the driving . Should let go I suppose , only have to break a foot or knack a knee !

Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
Wheelies :Eeek:
wheelie.jpg

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Driving around at 60+ mph with a 55cm satellite dish still up springs readily to mind.

Insisting that said satellite dish be fitted in the one part of the roof where water collects comes a close second, given that a hole needed drilling for the windy thing, and the fitter wasn't exactly competent with sealant.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
In Dusseldorf I drove out of our parking space with the slide out still out! Goodness knows how much damage I would have caused - fortunately only got a few yards when I realised for some reason something was blocking my view from my wing mirror - oops - that would be me. What a pillock!

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I left a campsite once without clamping the dormobile lift up roof, it was an old VW camper and going over a bump on the motorway the roof popped up and it was a while before I could find a safe place to stop I got some strange looks from all the other drivers:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Dumbest thing ... for me would be 'believing' my husband that I was clear at the rear to reverse our then Rimor MH (over 7m which I'd only driven a few times) ... he didn't 'notice' the curb which caught the rear corner of the skirt! For him would be driving into an overhanging tree branch at the front with our first coachbuilt which he KNEW was there when he parked and that he needed to reverse out instead!

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I have just remembered I moved the van once with the awning still attached daughters at each end and wife on the centre pole moved slowly to much flatter area some15 yards away not a great idea as centre pole hit wife on bonce much muttering and if looks could kill:rolleyes:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Driving around the Avignon ring road and noticing French drivers waving at us. After waving back at a few we saw a car pull up beside us at the traffic lights and point wildly at the roof of the M/H.

When we pulled over we found our rear-hinged Heki wide open. We had driven from our previous site like that, about 30 kilometres. Fortunately we were " meandering" not running at higher speeds on the Autoroute but, how we didn't lose our unauthorised " sail" I'll never know. The wind resistance must have been colossal.o_O

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
As for me, 2 vans ago I hit a low height warning pole on a chain entering a French supermarket, CLANG ! it didnt touch the van but broke the Oyster and Skylight. ÂŁ3 k,s worth of damage. Guy behind was bibbing me to move, when I got out to confront him, face like thunder, he locked his doors in fear.
Phil

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Let's just say there was a lamp post involved........................:love::love::love:

The Tincas

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Let's just say there was a lamp post involved........................:love::love::love:

The Tincas
... the little sods jump out in your way just when you don't expect it don't they!

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
As for me, 2 vans ago I hit a low height warning pole on a chain entering a French supermarket, CLANG ! it didnt touch the van but broke the Oyster and Skylight. ÂŁ3 k,s worth of damage. Guy behind was bibbing me to move, when I got out to confront him, face like thunder, he locked his doors in fear.
Phil
Reminded me - two vans ago, reversed into a parking space outside small French supermarket. Brand new illuminated shop sign overhanging parking space (only in France) - not any more!!! No damage to van, replacement sign (only 7 days old 3000 euros - thank you insurance company)

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
When we had our VW Autohomes Kamper, we decided to move pitches on a site in France to one which was more shaded. To save time, and as it was only a very short distance, we (well I did) decided not to lower the elevating roof. All was well when I was reversing into the shady spot until the rooflight hit the tree that was providing the shade, and was snapped off. The roof then had to come down to effect a repair, so no time saved.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Backed up to a grass embankment doing a three point turn, pulled forward and left the complete bumper behind on a stump of an iron post lurking in the grass. I also have to back into my driveway, avoiding cars parked across from ours, been doing it for three years then dinged the side door locker on my own gate post.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back