Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer B584
Exp
About to start!
We're thinking of buying a drive-away awning for our Hymer B584. Any recommendations? And what is the general opinion on self inflating ones? Thanks in advance.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We would never have one we tend to move on after one or at the most two nights as we like to tour (must have some Itinerant in us) but would suggest the best one is one you remember to detach before you move the Hymer

OP
OP
Kait

Kait

Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer B584
Exp
About to start!
We would never have one we tend to move on after one or at the most two nights as we like to tour (must have some Itinerant in us) but would suggest the best one is one you remember to detach before you move the Hymer
Might look interesting on the motorway :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Glad you brought up the subject of Drive Away Awnings @Kait

How far do they go on a tank of Fuel? anyone know? Is it very easy to get them converted to LPG? Can you get a Turbo Diesel version?
You mentioned "inflatable", can you fly them then?

AH! Just had a thought, the man with the knowledge would be @eddievanbitz

Just thought it would be interesting to know eh!

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
As said, do detach before driving away!

At a motorcycle event a few years ago a TOP journalist turned up in a FREE to him/her MH, set up, erected awning, sides, the lot.
Weather got a bit iffy, what did he/she do.

GOT IN AND DROVE OFF.

Did about 10 yards then saw the devastation.
After a right good laugh at this up their own bum person did any body go to help

NO. Sat there for about 3 hrs until a group turned up in a van, cut the canopy, rolled up the sides etc, then scuttled off, with us still laughing, after even more ale.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have a kampa rally air pro.
It's awesome .. do a quick search on here.
We also have an older movelite xlf ( large one with the extra bedroom pod) drive away awning with the family pod that were probably going to sell for 60 quid.
It's not bad but you need a good strong marriage to assemble it.
We now have our kampa rally to under 10 mins. We bought some screw in pegs for it in a fit of laziness.
We find it useful if we're staying somewhere for 2 days or more.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
We have a Kampa inflatable from our last motorhome, which didn't have a wind-out awning. It was extremely quick and easy to put up, and very spacious in use, but a bit of a faff to pack away. We never really got the hang of the drive-away bit, so just used to throw the awning sheet over the motorhome roof, and tie the guys to the ladder at the rear, and the driver's mirror at the front - worked like a charm! One very nice feature is the groundsheet, which you either toggle in, or leave, depending on the weather.

Highly recommended.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
have had all sorts over the years, and the very best driveaway we have ever had is the khyam motordome. takes a few minutes to erect and pack away with a built in umbrella pole system. take it out of the bag, unfold the fabric, then lift the middle and the legs clip in easily.

video shows a smaller version, but they are all the same.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We have a kampa rally air pro.
It's awesome .. do a quick search on here.
We also have an older movelite xlf ( large one with the extra bedroom pod) drive away awning with the family pod that were probably going to sell for 60 quid.
It's not bad but you need a good strong marriage to assemble it.
We now have our kampa rally to under 10 mins. We bought some screw in pegs for it in a fit of laziness.
We find it useful if we're staying somewhere for 2 days or more.

We have a Kampa inflatable from our last motorhome, which didn't have a wind-out awning. It was extremely quick and easy to put up, and very spacious in use, but a bit of a faff to pack away. We never really got the hang of the drive-away bit, so just used to throw the awning sheet over the motorhome roof, and tie the guys to the ladder at the rear, and the driver's mirror at the front - worked like a charm! One very nice feature is the groundsheet, which you either toggle in, or leave, depending on the weather.

Highly recommended.

We also have the Kampa inflatable Rally Air Pro, which is quick to erect and makes a useful extra room / dog prison if we are staying somewhere for a few days. But I didn't think they marketed this model as "drive away" though? Probably my ignorance...

Before this we had the Movelite XL, which is definitely "drive away" as its fully framed and can be sealed up all the way round. Prefer the Kampa though.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We also have the Kampa inflatable Rally Air Pro, which is quick to erect and makes a useful extra room / dog prison if we are staying somewhere for a few days. But I didn't think they marketed this model as "drive away" though? Probably my ignorance...
No it's not.. You're right I didn't read/think before typing

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Our Kampa add-on was a Travel pod mini AIR tall, which is finitely drive away, and stands alone quite happily, in downpours and gales!! In fact, it's main use now is as a zip close "gazebo" for dry storage, when rallying with friends.

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
We have a Movelite XXL with a bedroom pod for when the kids visit, not the easiest to erect to start with but gets quicker with practice and substantially cheaper than the airframe types. We also have the 'daisy screens' which have been invaluable over the years providing a fairly decent windbrake and respite from the sun (when we get it) and very easy to attach to the wind out awning.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Would love an Air one for the occasional long stay but needs to be 3m high to go over the door! Anyone know of one please advise. Thanks

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
As someone who came from being a tugger with a huge Isabella awning with extra bedroom and end flyscreens I thought we could not manage without a drive away awning. We bought a Movelite XL but its had very, very little use. We have not used it on either of our 2 holidays abroad of a month each. Its been put up in the garden to learn how to do it and one other time when we went away to one site for a week and my daughter and a friend came to stay for a couple of nights in the awning.

Think carefully how you intend to use your MoHo as you might be able to save yourself some money.

The air inflatable ones are a better quality product but I heard of one stolen when the owners were off in their van for the day so I decided to buy a cheap one which I was prepared to lose. My van is also high and I don't think that there was one suitable at the time I bought my Movelite XL. The Kyham took my eye as easy to put up but you pay for that convenience.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Would love an Air one for the occasional long stay but needs to be 3m high to go over the door! Anyone know of one please advise. Thanks
They do a taller kampa air pro ... as I found to my cost.
If the op @Kait wants our movelite xlf they can have it for £50.
(You will need patience and 2 people at least)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I do not understand Drive away awnings, Are they that bad you leave them behind when you go? or do you just leave them hanging on the side when you go 'cos you forgot them? The last one I saw in action I swear was going to end in divorce as SHE was trying to fold it up and HE was having nothing to do with it, as SHE said, SHE would do it without help from HIM. SHE was rolling around on the ground on it to get the air out and he was going to suck it out with the pump on suck, It was going to come to blows and I left so as not end up as a witness to murder (HIM by HER).

OP
OP
Kait

Kait

Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer B584
Exp
About to start!
have had all sorts over the years, and the very best driveaway we have ever had is the khyam motordome. takes a few minutes to erect and pack away with a built in umbrella pole system. take it out of the bag, unfold the fabric, then lift the middle and the legs clip in easily.

video shows a smaller version, but they are all the same.

I've taken a look but they don't seem to be inflatables. Or are they?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I've taken a look but they don't seem to be inflatables. Or are they?
not inflatables but they have a lightweight frame attached, much like an umbrella. none of the inflatables i have seen have been particularly substantial and wear out very quickly

OP
OP
Kait

Kait

Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer B584
Exp
About to start!
I've taken a look at the Kampa on
not inflatables but they have a lightweight frame attached, much like an umbrella. none of the inflatables i have seen have been particularly substantial and wear out very quickly
That's interesting. I'd like to take a look at one. There may be a stockist in Kent somewhere. I've also been told that the Vango Airstream Idris is a good one to consider.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Our Kampa add-on was a Travel pod mini AIR tall, which is finitely drive away, and stands alone quite happily, in downpours and gales!! In fact, it's main use now is as a zip close "gazebo" for dry storage, when rallying with friends.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
We have a new MHome & the Kampa travel pod mini XL. Which method did you use to attach yours to your van. We have just thrown guy ropes over as have no Fiamma or awning rail. We are considering having a rail put on but would welcome any advice first.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back