Canoe. (1 Viewer)

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
Hi ,just recently bought a Cheyenne 635 HiTop and we would like to take our 14 foot canoe with us.At the moment we havnt got a roof rack or rear ladder.Has anyone ever carted a canoe on this or any other motor home? As it weighs about 28 Kgs and I am not getting any younger are there any tricks with getting it on the roof if we get a rack? Also looks difficult to fit one with the roof shape. We even considered it upright at the back! It would look a bit strange and we would have to watch for low bridges but assume its legal.:ROFLMAO:Any suggestions regarding towing with a jockey wheel we will be disregarded.:Angry: Any ideas considered!
Cheers Paul.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
: Any ideas considered!
Cheers Paul.

Hi Paul.
Join Song of the Paddle; The call of the Open Canadian Canoe. If you dont already know, it's a very good canoeing forum. They have a couple of members with similar problems. I'm sure i read that one of them had come up with some sort of A frame to help him get his canoe up there.
Personally, I LOVE an Advanced Elements Convertable 2 man but a about £800, SWMBO is taking some convincing!:Doh::cry:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The only way I can think is to load it through an open window. Would be a bit inconvenient and would have to be unloaded at each site.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Don't know if this is of any help, but once saw canoe attached to the side of the roof on U shaped brackets. The brackets were home made from tubular alloy about 1 1/2 inch tube, and covered with pipe insulation. Not to high to lift canoe on caravan step.::bigsmile:

Hope this is of some help.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi Paul.
Join Song of the Paddle; The call of the Open Canadian Canoe. If you dont already know, it's a very good canoeing forum. They have a couple of members with similar problems. I'm sure i read that one of them had come up with some sort of A frame to help him get his canoe up there.
Personally, I LOVE an Advanced Elements Convertable 2 man but a about £800, SWMBO is taking some convincing!:Doh::cry:

That canoe was my first choice, but it weighs at least 28kilos, and was too heavy,
I have gone for a Helios II kayak the name as just gone out of my head. it only weights 16kilo and is inflatable, we had great fun in Greece with it.

Regards Pat

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
That canoe was my first choice, but it weighs at least 28kilos, and was too heavy,
I have gone for a Helios II kayak the name as just gone out of my head. it only weights 16kilo and is inflatable, we had great fun in Greece with it.

Regards Pat

Hmm, know what you mean, it is a tad heavy......and BL**DY expensive!!!:Eeek: but the trouble is, I had quite a few years with a glassfibre single and it spoiled me rather as far as tracking, effort and progress are concerned.
We did have a Sevylor for a while but binned it cos it nearly cuased a divorce!:ROFLMAO:
Dammed thing had a mind of its own and wondered all over the place, mind you, this was a few years ago and pre skeg design.
I saw a guy up at Arisaig with an AE and just fell in love with the thing. Doddle to pump up, arrow straight, even in a fair sea chop and very tough material.
I can dream...........:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I used to carry two 35kg twin tarpons on the roof of our Auto Trail. Getting them up was not too bad as they were long, so when the were leant up against the back of the van I could pull them up using the handle on the bow. I had sections of a aluminium ladder secured to the regular roof rack, this was to give the rack extra height to clear skylights n stuff. Its a lot of weight to have that high, but then i never worry about stuff that I should.

If you get on your roof often, and you weigh as much as me (heavy:Smile:) then you Must check your skylight seals regularly because all that flexing and they WILL leak.

Link Removed

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hi Paul.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Excellent link, we got carried away in the Lakes and bought a Stearns Backcountry inflatable(first canoe), solves (for us) the storage problem. As said carried away, ie no research, just dive in with both feet, so good to read up and see what others think.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
: bought a Stearns Backcountry inflatable(first canoe), .

..........and what do you think of it?
I'm thinking in terms of tracking and "aquadynamics"?
My last inflatable, some 15 years ago, was a flippin' nightmare. Wondered all over the place and as soon as you got over 2-3 knots, it used to "plough" something terrrible because it had such a bulbous bow!

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Tracking, aquadanwhatsits, plough, eh?????:ROFLMAO:

Very techno, we're just havin a larf, but seriously, bought it in Keswick and had 3-4 trips on Derwent, well 3 'goof abouts' and a proper paddle, round a couple of islands very nice, good couple of hours. Syncronisation is the key, we went for canoe single paddles, though it came with a rubbish twin blade whatsit that is very efficient at filling the boat with water and not much else! Anway, me and missus in sync OK, out, well a few 360s later!

Now that website, mmmm, J paddling, C paddling:Doh: I'd call it Dutch (as in double)but I think Canadian is actually the origin, but thinking about it I feel we may have a little to learn if we're really going to have fun, which we intend. Also, the plastic clip in widgets for under the floor that I couldn't be bothered with, they have a name I fear but again reading the web site it sounds like the might, err, have/perform a usefull purpose(tracking I believe?):Blush: The wind catches a bit but nothing a rank amature can't have some control over, very stable, but predictably slow, but that's the point, a gentle amble is what we're after.

Early days but we're pleased with it, AND, smug bit I can get it back in the bag and complete, which means it'll fit in one of the lockers, and in about 10mins all in.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
, though it came with a rubbish twin blade whatsit that is very efficient at filling the boat with water and not much else!

You need paddle splash rings. You can buyem off ebay etc but TBH, any old bit of plastic or rubber with do. Cut a ring, about 3-4" diameter with a paddle shaft sized hole in the centre. then glue em on your paddle.
Stops all the drips coming inboard:thumb:

...... Also, the plastic clip in widgets for under the floor that I couldn't be bothered with, they have a name I fear but again reading the web site it sounds like the might, err, have/perform a usefull purpose(tracking I believe?).

Exactly!::bigsmile: Get 'em fitted, you wont believe the difference they can make, especially in crosswinds with an inflatable.

............., AND, smug bit I can get it back in the bag ..

Your right, that IS smug!:whistle: Bet you pack the wifes suitcase as well!:ROFLMAO:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Splash rings, got 'em, no difference, that's be us though.

Yup, next time out.

Wife's suitcase, are you nuts!:Eeek: Well rairly do we use now, but the AMOUNT she takes we need an RV!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
our kayak travels inside the beast, loads through rear window. One end in the overhead the other strapped up to the ceiling, even room to walk under it without head banging, but then there is 8ft headroom, hee hee.

OP
OP
W

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
Thanks for all the input,we had thought about an inflatable as long as it will stow in the shower! Also saw a Kayak which folds in the middle,believe it or not :ROFLMAO:. Thought about trying to get it inside but have met some resistance!
Cheers Paul

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
I use the sevylor inflatable to dive off, also fits into the box on the back along with the rest of the dive gear (not cylinders). You can even attach a 3.5hp motor for those long trawls back.
29apcas.jpg

OP
OP
W

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
Canoe

I use the sevylor inflatable to dive off, also fits into the box on the back along with the rest of the dive gear (not cylinders). You can even attach a 3.5hp motor for those long trawls back.
29apcas.jpg
Unfortunately there are two of us and two dogs plus gear so will probably need the inflatable Queen Mary:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back