Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Hi Folks,
will write a wee report on our first French trip in our Motorhome later, but for now,
both me and the missus have contracted and been diagnoised with Legionaires disease.
The only thing that we did that our son didn't was use the showers at Moulan Fort campsite near Chenonceaux.
As I have "underlying" health problems this is quite serious.
As my wife would say " if I'm still around" I will do a short report on our trip later - apart from this we had a great time - used aires every other night apart from this stop as I had to stop somewhere for a couple of days rest before going a wee bit further.
Regards, Weejohn

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi John

sorry to hear about your illness ... :Sad:

another good reason not to use camp showers, but you don't need me telling you that ..

I hope you both get well soon

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Legionarires disease is a very serious condition.
If your not hospitalised then you may need to be.
Have you seen your doctor?
has a positive conifrmation been made?
Are you being blasted with effective antibiotics?

if not get back to the doctors or even A&E

Don't piss about with this, legionella kills

Peter

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
be carefull i had this after showers on a ferry and lleft me with my left lung apprently not working to full capacity as the y informed me at a later date its not a od think to have if it gets hold

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Folks,
will write a wee report on our first French trip in our Motorhome later, but for now,
both me and the missus have contracted and been diagnoised with Legionaires disease.
Regards, Weejohn

So it would be French Legionnaires disease :Smile:

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
hi Folks, thanks for your comments.
Yes we have contacted doctor - we came home early because of not feeling well. On-call doctor gave us the correct antibiotic unfortunately this was not for long enough, we have now been given it again by GP only for a longer period, -six weeks now and still quite unwell and doctor may think of getting us hospitalised if we are no better by next week.
Was unaware of this being a problem at campsites. Murphys law- these were the only two nights we stayed at a campsite!
Regards, Weejohn

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry to hear of your ailment. Can't help thinking of the number of times we have used showers without thinking about the risks of L. Time to boil my shower head me thinks.

Hope you recover soon.

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
don't mess with this one ,it kills 25% of all those that get it,rising to 50% for the over 60's and the older you get the less chance you have of recovery. I speak from experience cause in october 2006 i felt very ill ,went to the doctors ,was told i had flu,go home and go to bed stay there for a week,so i did ,got worse went to the doctors again and was sent into hospital immediately i then spent 14 days on oxygen and the only treatment available ie introvenus antibiotics,i was told you either respond to the drugs or you die .no other treatment exists.get to the doctors NOW don't wait till its to late,i very nearly did, my right lung had collapsed completely and my left lung only had 30% left .the specialst said i had the worst case of double pnumonia he had ever seen and if i had gone into hospital 24 hours later i would have died within 12/24 hours without doubt ..2 days later it was diagnosed as legionairs ,sorry to go on so long but i can not over stress the point ,DO NOT DELAY .IT DOES KILL it took me 13 months to recover completely . hope this boring post may help save your life good luck ,steve.:thumb:

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Hi all, we've been to doc in france and immediatly on our return to the doc on call, then to our GP, currently on our fourth batch of antibiotics, still no improvement, THankfully we're still fifty something as doc says any older and we would be hospitalised immediatly.
I have had four hiatus hernia operations in the past so the coughing is quite sore to say the least.
Any way we had a nice time at the war grave sites and hot-air ballooning, will report later when -hopefully feeling a wee bit better.
GP tells us we're in for a "long haul". BP Tests every week (blood and pee).
GP very interested as this incident is the first she has ever had at the surgery in Armagh.
GP phoning regularily too to check on condition.

Thanks for your kind wishes etc
Regards, Weejohn

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Weejohn, I bet you are good in a crisis, you both sound like cool dudes :Cool:::bigsmile: Glad you are back and getting better:thumb::thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Glad you seem to be getting better, Look after yourselves.

Best of luck

Dave:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Hi Jim and everybody else who has wished us well. Thank you.
Now on fifth course of anti-biotics, so the bug is bound to be getting the message that he's not welcome! Our GP tells us this is first ever case of Legionaires at the surgery, so we are getting lots of attention.
Now I know why manufacturers put showers in Motorhomes- to persuade you not to use the ones at campsites.
Looking forward to a wee break for a few days when (hopefully soon) we plan to spend a few days across the border in the Irish Republic.
Currently think of where we would like to go next year? Norway/Sweden, the French western coast, the French border with Switzerland etc, no decision yet but lots of thinking and internet browsing to get ideas.
Assuming we are slightly better in another couple of weeks I will write a wee bit about our experiences around the WW1 grave sites and the Hot air ballooning at Chenonceaux.
Motorhoming has (apart from French showers) brought a great opportunity for me with my disability to really get out and about.
Regards to you all, Weejohn

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, when I worked for Corus (British Steel) all water systems had to be (and were) sterilised once a year. Surely this must apply to camp sites? :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back