Planning Rome to Venice........ (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
As the heading says really, I am planning our summer tour and looking for help and ideas. We need camp sites near Rome, then what shouldn't we miss on our way up through Italy heading towards Venice. Any suggestions for a site near Venice would also be good.

Never done it so any help would be a great.(y)

Oh, we plan on being near Rome about the 12th July.

Thank you for your suggestions.:)

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
When we stayed at theCamping Tiber site. (http://www.campingtiber.com/) ACSI accepted.

We chose it as it provides a shuttle bus to the nearest Metro station with direct trains to the centre of the city. It also provides electric hook up, internet access, a pool and a bar.

The site is fairly large and has some static vans so won't be to everyone's taste.
Beware when in Rome and look after your personal possessions. Rome is the
Pickpocket capital of Europe.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Rome: Camping Village Flaminio - just over the road from supermarket and Due Ponti suburban railway station with direct access to Rome centre. Bus stop outside too. They even have a shuttle service between the pitches and the campsite gate. Don't miss the Pantheon once you've done the other biggies.

Venice: Plenty of sites along the Adriatic coast near the Punta Sabbioni ferry stop. Our favourite is Camping Ca' Savio which is within easy cycling distance (by cycle path) of the ferry stop. It's good to be able to take a dip in the sea after a day spent walking round Venice, especially in summer. Lovely city - a personal favourite.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I went down to Monte cassino and well worth a visit for war history anoraks! When I went in 2013 many of the non toll roads were in an awful state and not really suitable for MH's. Even some of the toll roads had the metal joints damaged where they connected to bridges etc and bits of metal were sticking up....my advice, carry a spare tyre. Rome and Venice will be hyper rammed with tourists that time of year, so expect long queues.

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Link Removed

We stayed at the above, not cheap but a fantastic place.

Rob

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Common sense advice re summer queues in Venice - arrive early before the cruise ships disgorge their cargo of permanently bewildered elderly Americans ("Elmer can you see a John? Oh my God Elmer I don't think they got a John here.") Get into The Basilica San Marco and Palazzo Ducale first thing. For lower cost eateries walk along the waterfront in the direction of the Arsenale, although there's bargains to be had beside the Canale Grande too. If you want an evening drink in the Piazza San Marco be sure to arrange a second mortgage beforehand :)

Once you've done the big two attractions it's not too difficult moving around Venice, but the honeypot spots will get busy.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
we stayed at camping Fusina, only a short walk from the ferry terminal to venice.
I don't see why every one raves about it.. in my opinion, its not worth the extra cost, venice is not what i expected,
there's nothing pretty about it,
Absolute fortune for drinks & food, its more of a shopping center, with lots of beggars.
Its not a patch on Annecy. or even amsterdam.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I
we stayed at camping Fusina, only a short walk from the ferry terminal to venice.
I don't see why every one raves about it.. in my opinion, its not worth the extra cost, venice is not what i expected,
Absolute fortune for drinks & food, its more of a shopping center, with lots of beggars.
I did a canal bus cruise about 9pm on a cold November evening, in 2009 then Venice was quiet! Amsterdam, great city (y)

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011

Surely you jest? Apart from the obvious overcrowding, Venice is truly unique.

Rob

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
no jesting Rob, very over rated, but probably one to tick off the list.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
there's nothing pretty about it, Absolute fortune for drinks & food, its more of a shopping center, with lots of beggars.

Each to their own opinion of course - I found Siena a bit underwhelming after hearing others raving about it, and much prefer Delft to Amsterdam. However I'd challenge the notion of all food and drink in Venice being a fortune. We've been three times and had reasonably priced food whilst sat overlooking the Canal Grande and Ponte Rialto at an eatery called Ristorante Omnibus. Likewise a little way up the waterfront are places that are not badly priced, and we don't overspend on meals by any means. Piazza San Marco is a totally different kettle of fish I accept, and I wouldn't touch a gondola ride with a gondolier's pole. If you want a quick bob around on the canal, cross it in a Traghetta (ferry gondola) for a few cents - you can stand up if you really want to show off. You can buy multi day travel tickets to hop on and off the Waterbuses as you please.

Funny story - we saw a case of canal rage on one visit. A waterbus pulling out of its stop knocked the decorative prow off a gondola and the gondolier went apeshit in a way that only Italians can. He started punting down the canal at great speed to try and catch the waterbus, whilst shouting and gesticulating at all the other gondoliers to head it off at the pass. They all rallied round and boxed it in so it had to stop in mid stream and the gondolier had a classic Italian row with the bus driver. What made it funnier was the gondolier was carrying two bemused tourists at the time.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Good advice above, but I would just mention if you were thinking of booking sites through the Caravan club. Don't, you will get ripped off badly. Stick with ACSI sites and you won't go far wrong.

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Stayed at Camping Venezia a short bus ride from the bus terminal. ACSI at low season, nice site, great toilets/showers, nice restaurant. Happy to recommend it and would return there anytime.

Bryan

PS. Don't be put off Venice by the nay-sayers ......... Must see place. Avoid eating in the tourist traps, wander away from the Grand Canal to find where the Venetians eat.Enjoy!

B

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Stayed at Camping Venezia a short bus ride from the bus terminal. ACSI at low season, nice site, great toilets/showers, nice restaurant. Happy to recommend it and would return there anytime.

Bryan

PS. Don't be put off Venice by the nay-sayers ......... Must see place. Avoid eating in the tourist traps, wander away from the Grand Canal to find where the Venetians eat.Enjoy!

B

@Billy23 This is the link to Camping Venezia Village ....... Just looking again sets my feet itching to return to fabulous Venice

http://www.veneziavillage.it/index.php

Bryan

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
@Billy23 This is the link to Camping Venezia Village ....... Just looking again sets my feet itching to return to fabulous Venice

http://www.veneziavillage.it/index.php

Bryan

Thanks Bryan, I have been once, but only for the day (working) and plan on catching the ferry from Spain to Rome in July, then up through Italy to Venice. I will look at the campsite you suggest as my planning is about to start in Ernest :)

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Bryan, I have been once, but only for the day (working) and plan on catching the ferry from Spain to Rome in July, then up through Italy to Venice. I will look at the campsite you suggest as my planning is about to start in Ernest :)

@Billy23 We sailed in the opposite direction on our trip, from Rome to Barcelona with Grimaldi lines. Around €320 without cabin. Had not realised you were planning summer visit ....... Just in time to miss ACSI rates!!!

Bryan

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp

Bryan

B
I don't think anybody could deny Venice nor Rome will be rammed in July......

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
@Billy23 We sailed in the opposite direction on our trip, from Rome to Barcelona with Grimaldi lines. Around €320 without cabin. Had not realised you were planning summer visit ....... Just in time to miss ACSI rates!!!

Bryan

@bryandh its only money old boy......only money.(y)

Seville to Barcelona is the drag:(

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
no jesting Rob, very over rated, but probably one to tick off the list.

Being a dedicated pleb I fully agree. Best part of visit was ferry from Lido de Jesolo. We didn't go in any of the sites, queues too big. What was interesting was the back streets, with waste waiting collection, the tatty buildings, the barges emptying the toilets, this is real Venice.

To much culture is not good for a body.

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
When we visited Venice in September 2011 we stayed at a site called camping village jolly. Nice restaurant, swimming pool & a shuttle bus right outside for a few euros takes you straight onto Venice. Lovely city !! will go back again soon.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back