Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
I had my cab (not roof) air con recharged when i purchased the RV two months ago.
Obviously there is a small leak as it no longer cools much at all.

I can pick up recharge kits quite cheaply with "leak sealers" to hopefully fix this leak

Has anyone done this on a diesel Chevy chassis and are the recharge ports easy to find?

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Did this a year ago with a Land Rover Discovery 1 . Bought sealer and gas from Halfords - Followed all the instructions and it was OK but never as cold as the professional recharge. Would not use it again except in an emergency

charlie24

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Maryburgh, Ross shire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
You cannot evacuate the system with one of these kits and therefore it will not fill properly. Also, these kits will only seal very small leaks. Don't waste your money,go to a professional. In my experience National Wndscreens seem to be as competitive as anyone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bashers

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
From what I've read, a leak over 4 weeks is a small leak.
Also, I'm thinking that there is no need to evacuate as its only just been charged so the pressures have balanced out hence no extra moisture has got in...yet

I'm hoping that this may fix the leak for £30. if not then its a much more expensive job to find such a small leak by hand and then evacuate/recharge.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Has anyone done this on a diesel Chevy chassis and are the recharge ports easy to find?

P30? Yes, open 'bonnet' and one should be top right of radiator as you look in and the other is left of rad on the condensor(?), once you've found one the others obvious.

Just had a chap come and do ours, again he just presurised but it's much colder now. Next time I want to have it properly done but this was a prove all's well before the faff of finding a proper pro. we can get a 28 footer to.

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
I had my cab (not roof) air con recharged when i purchased the RV two months ago.

I can pick up recharge kits quite cheaply with "leak sealers" to hopefully fix this leak

I get mine checked every two years the best and cheapest way l have found is at a american car show theres allways someone doing there, and all they do is american stuff so if you need a new O ring which is more likely what leaks he will carry all the chevy bits.
love my chevy mate a great bit of kit Paul

OP
OP
bashers

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp

P30? Yes, open 'bonnet' and one should be top right of radiator as you look in and the other is left of rad on the condensor(?), once you've found one the others obvious.

Just watched the instruction video at Link Removed and your right the port is just above the radiator as i recognise what i'm looking for now.

I'll give this a go i think as there is little to loose for £30. Hopefully the leak will get cured.
Maybe i'll check the roof air con too at the same time as that has probably never been topped off.

In the USA DIY recharging is a common practice.
As you loose some gas naturally every year, it seem logical that simply topping off is a no brainer, much as you would with oil levels.
As long as the system is still under pressure though otherwise it would need evacuating and the air dryer possibly changing before hand

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

better read this first Bashers.
especially the paragraph headed.....GAS.

Link Removed

bit long winded but read it all.
contains some vital info depending on the year of your RV and the type of gas used.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Gas, there should be a lable/s identifing which one is in use.

garfield

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
North west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
40yrs
From what I've read, a leak over 4 weeks is a small leak.
Also, I'm thinking that there is no need to evacuate as its only just been charged so the pressures have balanced out hence no extra moisture has got in...yet

I'm hoping that this may fix the leak for £30. if not then its a much more expensive job to find such a small leak by hand and then evacuate/recharge.

4 weeks is a big leak, so I would pay the extra and have the leak fixed by a pro. He will evacuate the system and fill with the correct gas and the right amount. You will also have some sort of warranty 1-3 months.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back