CoPilot and CamperContact POI File (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Having recently bought the CoPilot app during the sale which @Forestboy highlighted I loaded the CamperContact POIs today. This wasn't an entirely straightforward process so I thought I would try and describe what I did just in case anyone else wants to give it a go.

Start by going to the Link Removed website and download the TomTom POI file and the icon file. You have the choice of downloading the whole database or individual countries but the full file is less than 2Mb so this is the one to go for. The icon file is tiny.

On my Android tablet these are automatically put in the download folder but they need to be moved for CoPilot to use them.

I think different devices will put the CoPilot app in different folders but within the CoPilot app folder, wherever it is, you will find a folder called "save" and this is where you need to put the two files you downloaded. For example, you might be looking for this folder "//copilot/save" although on my device the app is in a folder with a long name which starts "com.alk.copilot.eumarket..."

I downloaded the free app "File Manager" to move the two files from "download" to "save" although alternatively you could do it with the device connected to a PC.

Once the files are moved start CoPilot and hopefully a message will come up saying new POI file found. A page will open asking what category you want to put the POI file in, choose "new category" and give it a name, say "Camper Contact ". You also need to associate an icon and you will find the icon you downloaded displayed, so choose that. It will also ask if you are importing speed camera information, choose "no".

And that's it but I think it is worth quiting out of the app and restarting the device as it wasn't until I did that and started CoPilot again did a message flash up briefly saying something like "18,220 POIs being processed" and it does indeed seem to process them because if you look in the save folder you will find the .OV2 POI file has vanished! CoPilot has obviously gobbled it up and put the data somewhere else.

Using the POI file threw me at first because it only displayed those near me. This is what I found: from the map screen tap the thing with six rectangles and this will take you to a small menu from where you can access the main menu. Select "points of interest" then "more categories" where you will find Camper Contact listed, assuming this is what you called the new category you created earlier.

When you select this a list of aires should appear, but not many of them. The trick is to look in the top right of the table and tap the box which says "Search nearby" when a menu will appear where you can choose "In different city". I had already uploaded the maps for Spain so I entered Santander and now when I looked at the map (by clicking on the map button in the top right) it showed all the aires around Santander and tapping on any of these allows you to set a new destination.

I may of course have forgotten a few stages in the description above so if anyone else does this and spots any errors or omissions please let me know. :)

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Having recently bought the CoPilot app during the sale which @Forestboy highlighted I loaded the CamperContact POIs today. This wasn't an entirely straightforward process so I thought I would try and describe what I did just in case anyone else wants to give it a go.

Start by going to the Link Removed website and download the TomTom POI file and the icon file. You have the choice of downloading the whole database or individual countries but the full file is less than 2Mb so this is the one to go for. The icon file is tiny.

On my Android tablet these are automatically put in the download folder but they need to be moved for CoPilot to use them.

I think different devices will put the CoPilot app in different folders but within the CoPilot app folder, wherever it is, you will find a folder called "save" and this is where you need to put the two files you downloaded. For example, you might be looking for this folder "//copilot/save" although on my device the app is in a folder with a long name which starts "com.alk.copilot.eumarket..."

I downloaded the free app "File Manager" to move the two files from "download" to "save" although alternatively you could do it with the device connected to a PC.

Once the files are moved start CoPilot and hopefully a message will come up saying new POI file found. A page will open asking what category you want to put the POI file in, choose "new category" and give it a name, say "Camper Contact ". You also need to associate an icon and you will find the icon you downloaded displayed, so choose that. It will also ask if you are importing speed camera information, choose "no".

And that's it but I think it is worth quiting out of the app and restarting the device as it wasn't until I did that and started CoPilot again did a message flash up briefly saying something like "18,220 POIs being processed" and it does indeed seem to process them because if you look in the save folder you will find the. OV2 POI file has vanished! CoPilot has obviously gobbled it up and put the data somewhere else.

Using the POI file threw me at first because it only displayed those near me. This is what I found: from the map screen tap the thing with six rectangles and this will take you to a small menu from where you can access the main menu. Select "points of interest" then "more categories" where you will find Camper Contact listed, assuming this is what you called the new category you created earlier.

When you select this a list of aires should appear, but not many of them. The trick is to look in the top right of the table and tap the box which says "Search nearby" when a menu will appear where you can choose "In different city". I had already uploaded the maps for Spain so I entered Santander and now when I looked at the map (by clicking on the map button in the top right) it showed all the aires around Santander and tapping on any of these allows you to set a new destination.

I may of course have forgotten a few stages in the description above so if anyone else does this and spots any errors or omissions please let me know. :)

Excellent advice.(n)
Despite using CoPilot for 2 years I've yet to download any POIs I tend to use the Aires or Bordatlas and just enter the coordinates.
Will give this a try.:)

Reactions: DBK

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
Great help thanks. Does anyone know if this can be done on the iPad?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
Great help thanks. Does anyone know if this can be done on the iPad?
The short answer is "no".

Apple have so restricted what you can do that it is impossible to load POIs onto the iPad to work with CoPilot. On earlier versions of IOS it was just possible by following some reasonably complex steps, but since IOS 9.1 this has no longer worked. Arguably the developers of CoPilot should have worked with Apple to allow POI files to be added (in the same way as you can presently add .pdf document files for use with Adobe Acrobat on the iPad)

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
Thanks @DBK

even I managed it(n) attached tablet to pc opened camper contact/save, and copied and paste from pc download folder,(y)(y)(y)

alan,

FunnyFendt

Free Member
Jun 21, 2010
BH24 2LG
Funster No
MH
Rapido 927F, A-class, LHD
Exp
Since 2000
Thank you for your clear and precise instructions. Tried it out on the Tesco Hudl with no problems.
Going to try and sort something out for the iPad now as a secondary system.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you have the Campercontact app on your phone you don't need to bother with the POI files as well in your sat nav. Instead find the Aire or campsite in the Campercontact app. When you look at the details of it you will see a tab below the photos headed "Route". Click on that and up will come a screen asking you to choose what you want to navigate in. Included in the list should be any sat nav you have installed on your phone - in my case Sygic. Click on that and your sat nav will open up and immediately plot a route from where you are to the Aire.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you have the Campercontact app on your phone you don't need to bother with the POI files as well in your sat nav. Instead find the Aire or campsite in the Campercontact app. When you look at the details of it you will see a tab below the photos headed "Route". Click on that and up will come a screen asking you to choose what you want to navigate in. Included in the list should be any sat nav you have installed on your phone - in my case Sygic. Click on that and your sat nav will open up and immediately plot a route from where you are to the Aire.
Very interesting. I've just given it a quick test and selecting "Others" fired up Co-pilot. Unfortunately, it didn't show a route to the place selected as I was playing with CP earlier today and I had set it to navigate to somewhere else and it was still pointing to it but otherwise I think this will work.

Many thanks, I'll play with it some more.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I spoke to Copilot's CEO about the inability to load POIs on iPad some time ago - we had a pleasant exchange by email and he said they would be doing something about it - then nothing - and he does't answer my emails anymore.:(

I do use the excellent Poi Viewer on my iPad - I reviewed it sometime ago here and since then it has had a few improvements. Works really well and I have thousands of POI loaded.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back