Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Interesting... !!!!

I visited my son last night, he's my tech guru and fire tv programmer..

He's just had a new TV... Sony 50" with built in Android, very impressive but he did say the one think it wont do is record.
Gonna get more info about it tomorrow when he calls.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Well I've come to the conclusion it's some kind of Video Recorder but not sure what the 'P' stands for.

Wyn

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Well I've come to the conclusion it's some kind of Video Recorder but not sure what the 'P' stands for.

Wyn

"PERSONAL VIDEO RECORDER = PVR"
Really the new name for a video recorder that now records digitally on a hard drive or SD card etc..

Android boxes use the internet and can be loaded with "special software" for watching films, TV, sport etc via streaming.
Some legal... some not so legal. !!!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Was looking at a firestick with kodi anyone bought one lately how well do the free channels work or would this be better?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Was looking at a firestick with kodi anyone bought one lately how well do the free channels work or would this be better?
Just watching Stoke/ villa live on mine, try that on sky!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My video projector I watch films on has Android. I can watch YouTube and the HD films look OK. Could also get Netflix and Amazon prime if I subscribed.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We want one of those but whenever I try to compare them find it so confusing trying to work out what you can get with each box.

Wyn

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Any specific reason for Android? NAS drive with HDMI and PVR plug ins could become media centre. My nas has Kodi on it for example. Edit. You'll need tuners though.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Kodi is fine .. but you would need to have a bit of interest in how it works.. there are things like the mag box (someone on here has one) that are more suited if you're not wanting to roll your sleeves up at all

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

Started off with Android boxes and once I saw the Fire TV in action I moved to that. The Fire TV box is better as you can have a wired connection as well as wifi, plus it has more internal memory... ITV hub works on the box but not the stick..
You sometimes need a little patience and some understanding of how the links / streams are working. Sometime they dont work and its a case of finding new ones or the ones that seem to work for you.

As stated above, just seen my sons new TV with Android and Kodi installed, looks like thats my next move.. :)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Started off with Android boxes and once I saw the Fire TV in action I moved to that. The Fire TV box is better as you can have a wired connection as well as wifi, plus it has more internal memory... ITV hub works on the box but not the stick..
You sometimes need a little patience and some understanding of how the links / streams are working. Sometime they dont work and its a case of finding new ones or the ones that seem to work for you.

As stated above, just seen my sons new TV with Android and Kodi installed, looks like thats my next move.. :)
Did you/he install Kodi or did you buy the Amazon fire box with it already installed - I have seen those on Ebay and wonder if they work. Interested in getting one rather than trying to install it myself.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I get my son to do it, faster than me trying to learn.
There are lots of videos etc on the web about it.
We have sticks on several Tv's and use them for catch up TV and Netflix as well as the Kodi...
Not a sports man but I like the films and my grandkids like the kids series. Also there is a YouTube app, that gets used a lot..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back