LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
How do we know if these signs are legal or not? Should they gave a bylaw number or something?
20160226_205549.jpg

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Very little in Dundee used to be legal!lol

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi sandra. You will know that a lot of the natives ignore the majority of those signs :LOL:.. and if it's away from the built up area I most probably would too...
If you are up that way why not use the map provided by the smwc ...loads of places round there.
Ta andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Crusty jack

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 640
Exp
Since1994
No, that sign is only a request; if it seemed that we wouldn't be inconveniencing anyone we would decline the request and overnight there. Toby n Suzy Trux.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi sandra. You will know that a lot of the natives ignore the majority of those signs :LOL:.. and if it's away from the built up area I most probably would too...
If you are up that way why not use the map provided by the smwc ...loads of places round there.
Ta andy
That's exactly where I found the spot. It's right on the beach near nothing :)

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
A lo
I live by a few simple rules, one of which is "if a sign is present saying don't do something then take the sign at face value and don't do it". Its not difficult.

D.
A lot of the signs in Scotland were found to be erected illegally and councils were made to remove them. I just wonder if this one is legal or not.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If it says no parking , I would say best thing is don't park(y)

?

Deleted User
Just do as it says.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
5.0 Legality of Signs

Black on yellow ‘No Parking Overnight’ signs are not covered by a traffic regulation order. Non prescribed signs such as this require special approval from the Scottish Ministers but there is no record of them having received any such authorisation.

An enforceable prohibition of parking would require an appropriate Traffic Regulation Order with signs and lines that comply with the Traffic Signs regulations and General Directions.

Taken from Andy Strangeways website.

I'm pretty sure the signs in the main loch front carpark in Fort William have the regulation part beside them.

Still ignored them and wasn't disturbed.........along with Fritz

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
That's exactly where I found the spot. It's right on the beach near nothing :)
Should be fine then... use it...
The no overnight signs that were challange were in the Highland council area and the roadside lay bys. .. There are areas where that is been put right with the necessary by laws like the beach at durnoch and the pending ban at loch lomond... The man that knows is Graham. ..but as I said earlier , I know of quite a few locations where sinage exists and is ignored but they are largely in more remote areas..
At the St Andrews meet last wk end there was quite a bit of bad feeling to the meet from locals... but really don't know why... The place was left spotless and the local chippy got in excess of £500 order on Saturday night... not to mention the pub trade and my £30 parking fine in the town.. :LOL:

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
At the St Andrews meet last wk end there was quite a bit of bad feeling to the meet from locals... but really don't know why... The place was left spotless and the local chippy got in excess of £500 order on Saturday night... not to mention the pub trade and my £30 parking fine in the town.. :LOL:

No wonder the locals complained. Wild camping is hardly a congregation of 46 mhs on the beach. Its meant to be discreet.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
No wonder the locals complained. Wild camping is hardly a congregation of 46 mhs on the beach. Its meant to be discreet.
It was an organised meet by the W forum.. at least the 2nd one that I know of... local council informed and even put on rubbish collection for us so they obviously approved :p

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
You would think they would take the locals views into account before approving. That's a lot of vans.
Wonder if the locals were informed though?...

..not sure what the 'traveller' situation is like in Scotland but if a large number of vans appeared round here they would be assumed to be the dreaded Itinerants.:(

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
You would think they would take the locals views into account before approving. That's a lot of vans.
If the organisation hold paragraph 6 exemption status they simply have to have the land owners permission, not the councils, to hold a rally for up to 5 days duration. This forum and Wildcamping hold such exempt status. There is no limit on the number of vans that can be present at a para 6 rally. For longer Para 4 rallies (up to 28 days) the council have to be consulted.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

..not sure what the 'traveller' situation is like in Scotland but if a large number of vans appeared round here they would be assumed to be the dreaded Itinerants.:(

The Traveller situation is no different in Scotland to the rest of the UK. Locals do not have to be informed. The only time locals have to be informed is if a (5 van) paragraph 5 site is seeking to be established. Then the Council and the locals have to be given 28 days notice to lodge comments or complaints. It is the club that grants the exemption not the council in these cases.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

They are easy to spot as they have no number plates usually.:giggle:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
How do we know if these signs are legal or not? Should they gave a bylaw number or something?View attachment 95075

I like Graham have contacted every local authority.
Their reply to an FOI request was:
"Dundee City Council only employ one person to work on the TROs, I regret to advise that we do not have the resources to provide copies of the TRO’s."

TROs must be published and copies made available. Without them being available for inspection no TRO can legally be enforceable.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/operational-guidance-to-local-authorities-parking-policy-and-enforcement

The legislation can be viewed at:

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/2489/contents/made
www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/1215/contents/made

The only legal signs are in the Traffic Signs Design Guidance Regulations or authorised my the minister for state.

uksi_20023113_en_041  622.7 Towed Caravans prohibited.gif
Authorised Sign R  Motor Caravans Prohibited  Sign.jpg

However although the sign may not be legal it shows there has been some issue to cause the sign to be erected.

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
The Traveller situation is no different in Scotland to the rest of the UK. Locals do not have to be informed. The only time locals have to be informed is if a (5 van) paragraph 5 site is seeking to be established. Then the Council and the locals have to be given 28 days notice to lodge comments or complaints. It is the club that grants the exemption not the council in these cases.
The reason I asked if the locals had been informed as the local authority provided rubbish service.
I don't think I'd be too happy if that amount of vans turned up near us and got the councils blessing tbh

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The reason I asked if the locals had been informed as the local authority provided rubbish service.
I don't think I'd be too happy if that amount of vans turned up near us and got the councils blessing tbh

This is the info produced by DEFRA (Natural England) (2015). So it is quite regulated, not just a free for all.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/camping...-certificates-know-the-rules-and-how-to-apply

Your club is eligible for an exemption if:
  • it’s properly formed and has a constitution
  • the aims of your club include promoting leisure activities
  • the certificate will only be used by your club and its members
  • you can make sure members will abide by the rules of the certificate
Your club also needs to:
  • have a formal code of conduct for your members
  • show evidence of experience in running campsites
  • supervise and manage all sites that members use
  • nominate a member to keep the exemption certificate and be able to produce it when necessary
Club meetings or rallies exemption (Caravan)
This is known as a paragraph 6 exemption.

With this exemption, your club can use a site for club meetings, rallies or events. These meetings need to:
  1. last no longer than 5 days
  2. be supervised by a member of the club
  3. be open to members only
Your local council can remove your exemption, for example if they receive complaints.

In supervising the site you have to make arrangements for Drinking Water, Disposal of Grey and Black Water as well as Dry Rubbish. Noise etc. has to be controlled. The name of the exempted organisation and the location of the person supervising has to be displayed.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
When travellers turn up near us, as well as starting removal procedures, the council sometimes put a skip out to help alleviate later cleaning costs. It never completely avoids cleaning, but if it all went on the ground! This in no way endorses any form of approval by the council. Dare I suggest it sounds like a common sense approach.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I've listing to points raised on this subject from people who would not wish to cause any problems to those that would go out of their way to do as they wish...
If you choose to park on land and refuse to move if asked....what can they do???? Is it right that that they can only resort to a court order to force you to move ??? If that's the case they can be gone long before that's gained and have achieved what thew wanted... A night or two stopover... Only asking because that's the sort of reasoning I've heard from some and not saying i support that view...Just want to know if that's factually correct..
Ta andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back