Sikaflex (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I seem to have a small (I hope) leak in the roof area below the Oyster dish.
I'm going to start by sealing around the mounting plate as there seem to be bolts going into roof and water may be getting underneath plate ?
Question is which sealant ? Setting or non setting please.
Next step will be to alter cable conduit as it's arranged to allow water pooling at the moment.
TIA

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've used this non setting stuff, it was recommended by a caravan service guy.
Broken Link Removed

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sikaflex 512 is the popular one about £11.00 max, shop around, some short shelf life stock sells cheaper

I use Sikaflex all weather or Sikaflex EBT Wite /Grey/or Black From Screwfix at 2/3rd the price of 512
as both adhesive and sealer, not lost a solar Panel or Sat system yet
Ya pays ya Money and takes ya choice
G

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I've used this non setting stuff, it was recommended by a caravan service guy.
Broken Link Removed
That doesn't read like non setting to me, it says it "cures" and "no need for additional fixings" so it is a setting adhesive.

@Figaro lifting the plate and putting in on again with a setting sealant would be the best bet but failing that I would say a setting sealant around the plate and any screws that could allow water in.

Martin

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The 'bolts' you see don't pass through the roof - they are captive studs in the mounting plate which is normally simply glued to the roof. A more likely entry point is where the cable enters the vehicle.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
My preference has always been non setting, that way the natural tendacy to flex on the roof is always watertight. Good luck with the job.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@Figaro I've got half a tube of Sikaflex 512 left after my solar panel mounting activities this week and I'll be driving up the M6 on Sunday. If you want it we could meet up at a services or somewhere else convenient. The stuff is white in colour and won't keep so it will go in the bin if I can't find a home for it.

Last edited:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
That doesn't read like non setting to me, it says it "cures" and "no need for additional fixings" so it is a setting adhesive.

@Figaro lifting the plate and putting in on again with a setting sealant would be the best bet but failing that I would say a setting sealant around the plate and any screws that could allow water in.

Martin
A setting sealant won't flex with the roof in hot & cold situations whereas a non-setting sealant will, we used a non-setting one around a roof light a few years back and it's fine, took the roof light off, cleaned all the area then re-set it with the sealant!

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
@Figaro I've got half a tube of Sikaflex 512 left after my solar panel mounting activities this week and I'll be driving up the M6 on Sunday. If you want it we could meet up at a services or somewhere else convenient. The stuff is white in colour and won't keep so it will go in the bin if I can't find a home for it.

That`s a very generous offer but I`m planning a weekend at Castleton as a first run out of the year.
If you wish to post it I`ll reimburse you for the postage ?
Let me know and I`ll pm you my address.
I just love this site ! (y)
Chris

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The 'bolts' you see don't pass through the roof - they are captive studs in the mounting plate which is normally simply glued to the roof. A more likely entry point is where the cable enters the vehicle.
I had looked at the cable entry point and the sealant does look a bit messy but it`s some distance from where the leak is showing. The area around the cables internally is dry but I suppose it could travel. If the plate isnt bolted then I`m not sure where leak is from. I`ll Just have to go through a process of sealing as much as I can. Removing the dish seems rather difficult and my be pointless if it`s not bolted.
Cheers Chris

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That`s a very generous offer but I`m planning a weekend at Castleton as a first run out of the year.
If you wish to post it I`ll reimburse you for the postage ?
Let me know and I`ll pm you my address.
I just love this site ! (y)
Chris
I've just checked and I can send it to you for £2.80. PM me your address and I'll post it tomorrow. If it arrives and is usable - I think it is - put a couple of quid in a charity box, your local hospice for example. :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
A setting sealant won't flex with the roof in hot & cold situations whereas a non-setting sealant will, we used a non-setting one around a roof light a few years back and it's fine, took the roof light off, cleaned all the area then re-set it with the sealant!

They all have a bit is elasticity so are fine for permanently fixing and if indeed there are no other fixings for the alloy mounting plate to the roof then is has to be a good flexible adhesive like we all use for sticking solar panels on with. Non setting mastics tend to be used for Windows and things that might need to be removed at some time in the future.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back