Replacement rooflights needed (1 Viewer)

Nov 8, 2015
Rakitnika, Varna, Bulgaria
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Now in fifth year and with American RV
I have two roof lights that I would like to replace, they are 48cm x 49cm Remis clear d/g units and both have suffered damage, ideally I would like to replace only the opening hoods. I mailed Remis a couple of times but so far no reply, any suggestions for these items please.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
These do seem to damage easily and I read on one suppliers website a while back that they had stopped dealing in these items as they almost always arrived damaged in transit when the customer received them.

I had a damaged unit last year, it just cracked with age rather than any physical incident and was looking for a solution. I did manage to find the dome unit listed somewhere, but after discussion I decided that the best option was to spend a little more and have a mini-Heki instead and I am quite happy with that decision.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I suspect you are measuring the outer dimensions of your roof lights?
It is more likely that they are fitted in a hole cut out at 40x40 and therefore the sizes you ought to be searching.
I replaced my rubbish Remis in bathroom and bedroom with Heki units

OP
OP
Mike4727
Nov 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Thanks for all the responses, thanks to you Andy ( again ! ) I think you are right about the cut size being 40x40 and that makes replacement a lot easier :) Is this an easy job to Andy ? Any special tools required etc, if I cannot do it myself then I will get them fitted in UK when we are touring there in the summer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
replacing a rooflight is of medium difficulty. the hardest part is cutting through the bonding mastic from the top.
basically you need to:
1 remove all screws and take off inner frame.
2 remove hidden screws holding the upper frame in place
3 cut through the mastic around all 4 sides of the rooflight from the top. a sharp scraper will do this, but be careful not to scratch or dig into the roof
4 pull the rooflight upwards and out. you will need to help ease it out with the scraper
5 clean off all the old mastic around the hole. an old credit card works well and clean up with white spirit on a rag
6 lay a good bed of new mastic around the new rooflight making sure there are no gaps
7 place rooflight into the hole ensuring it is rotated to the correct direction for travelling. any hinge at the front
8 insert and tighten inside screws but not overtight
9 scrape off any excess mastic that was squeezed out
10 install internal frame and blind

takes about 1 hour per skylight and best done on a warm dry day

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Imagine a an arthritic Jeremy Clarkson well that's me I changed a rooflight on a rapido in an hour after it was broken into in France ,good instructions from the big one ,but I doubled the sealant on the inner and outer perimeters of the frame .

OP
OP
Mike4727
Nov 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Thanks to both of you for that. Another job on the diy list then :)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Thanks to both of you for that. Another job on the diy list then :)
If you live near a lidle .. last week they had a sealant scraper / remover for a couple of quid. Better than and old credit card .. easy to hold and quite tough plastic tool.

OP
OP
Mike4727
Nov 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Yes I saw that talked about on an earlier thread, I do have a Lidl in my nearest town about 20kms away but it is Varna in Bulgaria and we don't get the same " specials " here. I will make something up out of an old plastic filler blade.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If your are planning on buying Heki ? be aware that they are offered as Vented and or Non Vented.
Personally I bought Non Vented. If you later decide it ought to be vented it is easy to just pull the foam gasket away but more expensive to do it the other way.

Also be sure to get for the correct roof thickness range.

Typical price
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEITZ-MINI-HEKI-PLUS-SKYLIGHT-40X40CM-ROOF-LIGHT-CARAVAN-MOTORHOME-25-42-NO-VENT/160916866491?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140122125356&meid=48be89ef2c0c4a24b64b8a7d8376dca9&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=140880805011

They do of course have both concertina blind and fly screens on the inside too
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
Just put two Heki in my van, what a big difference it is so much lighter.

Worth every penny and easy to fit, once the top was off I was able to stand on small step ladder inside van and fit through roof to cut of all that nasty sealing stuff.

Andy

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If they are 40 x 40 we have Fiamma crystal see through vents available, they are 'sandwich' fitting. easy! You will also get Funsters Discount :clap2:

The outer cover and exclusive patented rubber seal, guarantee a watertight system and ensures that rain is displaced.

With an elegant internal frame, the Roof Vent is easily fitted using a sandwich method with screws tightened from inside the vehicle, pulling the inner frame to the outer one and sandwiching the caravan or vehicle between the two parts.

It can also be secured to the roof externally by screwing the outer frame down with stainless screws.
Now more aerodynamically shaped top to reduce wind noise at high speed.
Installs on 390mm x 390mm apertures and up to 400mm x 400mm openings.

Supplied with permanent ventilation and mosquito screen.

The Fiamma Vent 40 can be installed on roofs from 2.5cm to 5cm thick.

This roof vent does not come with any screws. You should require 3.5mm wood screws of various lengths depending on what thickness of roof you are fitting it to.

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/fiamma-roof-vent-40-crystal.html

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back