Shopping List and Advise for solar panels ( nearly there...... ) (2 Viewers)

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
Hi all,I've been looking for a while, i've received some great advice up to now from everyone but i just need to know a few more things. I have ordered the solar panels 3x100, also i have ordered the charge controller which has been recommended by techno100 (andy), just a few more things that i am not sure about.....

1) I'm going for 6mm cable from the solar panels to the charge controller , will this 6mm cable be adequate from the charge controller to the batteries? The charge controller is a max25A MPPT solar charge controller.

2) I am fixing 3 solar panels with aluminium brackets as suggested by techno Andy , i am not sure how many tubes of sikaflex i will need, could you please advise?

3) Is there anything else i need to know or buy regarding the set up?

All help and advice would be most appreciated , thanks again,
Hobby1 ( Roy)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
two would probably be enough 3 to be on the safe side you can buy sticksal from tool station just dont buy the clear ,white or black is fine

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
1) I'm going for 6mm cable from the solar panels to the charge controller , will this 6mm cable be adequate from the charge controller to the batteries? The charge controller is a max25A MPPT solar charge controller.

Make sure the connections on the charge controller ect has connections large enough for 6mm cable - most are 4mm.
How are you connecting the panels together mechanically/electrically?
IMO a tube of sikaflex should be plenty - you can always buy more. Don't press the glue out too much, you need a mm or two of thickness under the brackets.
I would recommend an amp meter to monitor the charging and to help make sure that all the panels are working when you connect them one by one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
Hi Roy if you follow @Techno advice then you will be ok. When I upgraded mine I added isolation switches both on the panel side and battery this allows for any future work to be carried out safely. Make sure if you isolate the panels they are charging your battery(s) in float mode. When connecting up, battery(s) first then panels and vice versa if disconnecting. It is up to you whether you wire the panels in series or parallel just make sure the controller can handle your 300w of panels. @Techno tested some panels which makes an interesting read.
Phil

OP
OP
H

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
HI, I have got this charge controller WP_20160223_030.jpg .
Would you still recommend an amp meter? Do I need an inline fuse anywhere?If so, where abouts and what size fuses are needed?
Where would I put an isolation switch?
I have got one pair of MC4 branch connectors, I know I need two more but would it be best to go for the Y branch connector? WP_20160223_028.jpg
I have been told that the charge controller has got to be as close as possible to the batteries but in my case, I am going to be about 2metres away, will that be okay or not?
Thank you for everybody's help
kind Regards,
Roy Armstrong ( Hobby 1)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Where would I put an isolation switch?

It wont matter where you fit it, probably near the controller.
I used one of these, It will a switch and a fuse. I don't think you will need a larger ampage but there is a 30A one.

Broken Link Removed

Dose the solar panels come with connectors fitted for these Y pieces. I did try these and struggled to fit 4mm cables into them. I gave up when I could get them reliable enough. I eventually went to simple connectors in a home made plastic case.
Similar to this -
Broken Link Removed

I fitted an amp meter where it could be easily seen but chose one where I could hide the wires.
The one you have will be good if you can disguise all the wiring into it.

OP
OP
H

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
Hi there, thank you for your response, much appreciated!

can anybody advise me about the 6mm cable? Im using the 6mm cable from the solar panel to the charge controller. I have checked and the charge controller will take the 6mm cable, what i would like to know is if i buy a long enough length of 6mm cable, will i be able to use the same 6mm cable from the charge controller to the batteries? hope this doesn't sound too confusing!!

Thanks in advance, i really appreciate your help and advise
Roy (Hobby 1)

OP
OP
H

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
Hi,Thanks to ( mitzimad, stealaway,Boycie,sweetie.) Hi,Thanks Andy that is the cable sorted out,do i need to put any in line fuses anywhere if so where and what size.I like the idea of isolation switches the same one as stealaway suggests,what do you think? My charge controller is the same as the one you have but the nearest i can get it to the batteries is about one and a half meters away from the batteries,is that to far away? Thanks Roy,(Hobby1)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No its fine especially with 6mm
Dont stress over distance from the batteries, put it where its convenient

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
Thanks Andy that is sum thing else sorted out,Roy (Hobby1)

OP
OP
H

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
Hi , I am going to buy one of these ,you can buy them with different size fuses, what size fuse do you think I would need?
WP_20160302_001.jpg
Also, would I need any inline fuses to go anywhere?
Regards, Roy ( Hobby 1)

OP
OP
H

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
Hi, can you put the solar panel up to each other,or do you have to leave a space between them? I want to hide the wires as much as possible.also what size fuse fuse do I put in my circuit breaker.Regards, Roy (Hobby 1)

OP
OP
H

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
Hi,I am going to fit my 3 one 100 solar panels on the roof soon as we have a nice day,can anyone tell me which is the best sikaflex to use. (sikaflex 512)or (sikaflex221) any advice or tips would be appreciated.Regards,Roy (Hobby 1)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
Hi,I installing 3 x 100 solar panels though my mppt pcm 3012 charge controller to my battery.I e,mailed the supplier he said 30 amp but can go up to 40 amp,what which one wound you use?.with the load port he wrote you can try a 25 amp or 30 amp,the reason we should be more conservative here is you don't want to oversize a load and cause this to break the circuit in the charger, in the user manual it say's 40 amp which ones wound you use.Regards Roy.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The most your three panels can produce thought the mppt is as I've witnessed 22.5 amps
A 30 amp fuse is fine but you are using 6mm cable so it doesn't really matter as he said

OP
OP
H

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
Hi, Andy what size fuse have you got from the charge controller to the battery,and what size from the load output to the connected load.Regards Roy.

OP
OP
H

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
Hi,stealaway,I am going to get a circuit breaker/fuse holder like the one you have suggested will it take 6mm cable? if so I am going to get a 30amp or a 40 amp one if 6mm cable will fit in the ends, this is to go between the charge controller and the battery. I am going for two tubes sikaflex just to be on the safe side,Regards Roy.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Hi,stealaway,I am going to get a circuit breaker/fuse holder like the one you have suggested will it take 6mm cable? if so I am going to get a 30amp or a 40 amp one if 6mm cable will fit in the ends, this is to go between the charge controller and the battery. I am going for two tubes sikaflex just to be on the safe side,Regards Roy.

I fitted mine before the controller and yes it will take 6mm cable. I think 30 amp will be perfect.

OP
OP
H

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
Hi, Stealaway, Thanks for getting back to me,I am going to put this 30 amp one between the charge controller and the battery close as possible to the battery is this right.Do you know what size fuse i need to get to go between the load output on the charge controller to the connected load, in the user manual it say's install a dc breaker or a dc fuse holder the rating of the dc breaker/fuse must be according to the charging current (40amp) this is the bit i don't understand the fuse size,Thanks Roy.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Do you know what size fuse i need to get to go between the load output on the charge controller to the connected load, in the user manual it say's install a dc breaker or a dc fuse holder the rating of the dc breaker/fuse must be according to the charging current (40amp) this is the bit i don't understand the fuse size,

What are you using the load output for?

It also depends on the cable size you are using.
A fuses primary function is to protect the wire from overload and getting hot, the source of many fires ---- the fuse must be sized below the max current that cable is capable of carrying.
Using 6mm cable for solar panels is to minimise the volts loss - because you only have a low voltage to begin with.
If the load is less than you can go smaller with the fuse for extra safety

This might help

http://www.cable-ratings.co.uk/

For 6mm cable I would say 30A maximum

OP
OP
H

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
Hi, Andy,Thanks for getting back to me nothing to big just going to use the load output for small things like phone chargers, and any thing else you might suggest.Thanks Roy.

OP
OP
H

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
Hi,To be honest with you i am not sure what size cable or fuse to use from the load output to the connected load.I have plenty of 6mm solar panel cable spare don't know if i can use this or not.Thanks Roy.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Is there a reason for using the load terminal rather than the battery