Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Dave and I are hoping to get our kontiki reupholstered sometime soon. We are debating whether to go with fabric, a fabric leather combo or completely in leather.

Do people with leather interiors and dogs that allow them up on the seats have any
problems with damage such as scratching?

If anyone has any photos of refurbished interiors they are really pleased with i'd love to see them too.

Thanks in advance.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have 3 dogs and fabric upholstery however I have made my own fitted covers so the dogs don't mark them and I don't need to worry (and the seats look like new when we come to sell).

However, in one of our cars we have leather seats and they are blooming COLD! Something to also bear in mind ... they look nice but personally I wouldn't go for leather as, apart from the much higher costs, I'd much rather have a 'warm' bum than a cold one! If we DID have leather seating I'd end up with some covers on to make them warm which would defeat the object of having leather anyway!

We also have friends who have leather sofas at home and they too say they can be quite cold and wouldn't have them with dogs.

Why not go and visit a sofa showroom and see what you think and also ask the sales staff their opinons ... when its a quiet time for them though (don't tell them you're not buying!).

Reactions: Ven

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Leather upholstery and dogs .....
..... don't mix

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
When I doggy sit my daughter's border collie, I put a sheepskin rug on the floor and she isn't interested in jumping up onto the seats ... could be worth a try.

If you don't necessarily want someone close by to you for the covers and you want someone who is also reasonable as well as professional... have a word with @Terry about the lady who does his van conversion covers.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Only thing with leather at home is that the place is usually warm over a longer period and you don't get the same comparison as in a vehicle. Heated leather seats in the car are nice. :) But we don't let the dog on our leather in house or car mainly as she's small and has to jump and scramble to get up. :eek:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Only thing with leather at home is that the place is usually warm over a longer period and you don't get the same comparison as in a vehicle. Heated leather seats in the car are nice. :) But we don't let the dog on our leather in house or car mainly as she's small and has to jump and scramble to get up. :eek:
awww bless her. You need to buy her a sheepskin rug. :)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I have a chihuahua and have been thinking about recovering with leather.
But then I would cover that with a throw lol

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

Have you asked your chihuahua if it wants to be covered with leather?

Edit: Beaten to it. :LOL:

OP
OP
Ven

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for your replies.

I'm hoping some people with dogs and leather seats who let them on the settees (which we do and will continue to do) will post their findings.

Being a mini dachshund Misty does scrabble a bit sometimes so really interested in first hand experience. She goes on leather seats at relatives houses and there has been no scratching there but they tend to be a bit lower than mh seats.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
@Ven we have had our van reupholstered in leather and we have 2 dogs that are allowed on the sofa. We haven't had a problem with scratching etc although we do place a piece of vet bed on the sofa especially when we leave them on their own. If you're still at the Aire at Alvor this week, you're more than welcome to come and have a look when we arrive, tomorrow or maybe Thursday.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Our 3 year old very active Cocker Spaniel is allowed on our leather sofas at home & we've never noticed any damage ( yet . . ) we think the length / sharpness of the dog's claws will make a difference, as will the quality of the leather & it's colouring.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If my chi looked like this covered in leather I'd put a throw over it too!!!

DOG-19-MQ0013-01P.JPG

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In the house I have to put a cover on as the dogs fur will dry out the leather ,especially the base cushions.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Thebus has 'leather' upholstery and Phoebe is allowed up, but in any case I normally have a double sheepskin which covers the seat

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It's their claws that can do the damage, then there is the dribble ah yes the fur gets in all the cracks too. Now you need a good cover or make them stay on the floor.

OP
OP
Ven

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I guess breed/ size/ dribble factor makes a difference too then. Thank you for giving me food for thought!

Thanks Kim, might see you in a couple of days.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
I guess breed/ size/ dribble factor makes a difference too then. Thank you for giving me food for thought!

Thanks Kim, might see you in a couple of days.

We have a very dribbly Labrador and a small labradoodle. The fabric seats we had in the van when we bought it were a lot less forgiving and despite using throws etc, they were starting to look a little tired. We had the re-upholstery done 3 years ago and have found it much easier to care for.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I'm surprised this has got so far without developing into "don't have a dog, dirty creatures etc" thread by now. :LOL:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We have had Leather in the house and after 8 years looked as good as new likewise the RV is leather and that is as good as new after 9 years - we have had terriers all the time. Easy to clean and polish .

Don't know what it would be like with a bigger dog though

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Would you all let your kids or grandchildren scrabble up and jump around all over your seats with their shoes on..! Shame on you lot for spoiling them....:whistle2::rofl::rofl:

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Never thought of leather seats in a motorhome, but have lots of experience with leather seats in cars and our two doggies. I would advise against for three main reasons: Firstly, and I assume that you harness your dog/s when travelling, leather seats do not give doggie paws much grip - they will slide around with each corner and acceleration or brake. You also have to choose what you put over the seat, if the doggies are wet, because that will slip, too, and you will end up with a poor confused mutt, wrapped in whatever it was under him/her. The other two reasons are the two sides of the same coin: If you have ever sat on a leather seat after the sun has been on it, you will understand. Likewise, first thing on a winter morning - not nice for humans, so think what it's going to be like for doggies!!

The only positives of leather seats are that they look nice, and they are easy to clean of dog hair!

We have one car with leather seats, the other, and the motorhome, with cloth, and I often wish they all had cloth!!

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I can't remember a thread where dogs are mentioned without at least one person bringing up the fact that "not all dog owner's clear up after their dogs" Making those of us who own dogs feel pariahs, even though we clear up after them :(

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm surprised this has got so far without developing into "don't have a dog, dirty creatures etc" thread by now. :LOL:

I can't remember a thread where dogs are mentioned without at least one person bringing up the fact that "not all dog owner's clear up after their dogs" Making those of us who own dogs feel pariahs, even though we clear up after them :(
Ha ha - Even if "the opposition" don't bring it up, the owners do!!! :clap2:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We've got leather upholstery in the van and leather furniture at home. The dogs are allowed on both and have done no damage that I can see. The advantage of leather is that it's easy to wipe clean if necessary.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Cold in winter; hot in summer - not for us. It has stopped us going further up the perceived range with our van.

Apr 20, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
IH N680CRL
Exp
Since 2006
Yes, we have a dog, Golden Retriever and leather seats, much better than fabric in our opinion as easier to wipe off. We keep a throw on her 'favourite bit!'

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back