Free Member
Jul 25, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
none yet but hopefully many
Hi

Presuming you can find somwhere to park do motorhomes pay the same price as a car for the privalige, or do they pay for the amount of parking spaces they occupy.

cheers all

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
a difficult one because it varies from town to town. You generally pay for the number of spaces you take up, however the law as per local authotity may state you must be parked wholly within the parking area, so if you straddle two areas even if you pay two tickets some jobsworth could still theoretically book you. Unless of course anyone knows differently

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i once got a ticket for straddling two spaces. i was parked in a car n caravan area in stratford . the spaces were the size of one car ,never payed i sent a letter asking how many cars n caravans fit the one parking place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
a difficult one because it varies from town to town. You generally pay for the number of spaces you take up, however the law as per local authotity may state you must be parked wholly within the parking area, so if you straddle two areas even if you pay two tickets some jobsworth could still theoretically book you. Unless of course anyone knows differently

Quite correct to say that it varies with area. Different councils - and private parking companies - have different rules.

But why should it necessary to call somebody a jobsworth just because they are doing the job they are employed to do? Is a checkout operator who charges the ticket price for goods a jobsworth? Is a postman who has to implement a surcharge a jobsworth because somebody has underpaid on a letter? Is an employee of a company who insists on receiving the full wage for the work put in a jobsworth?

Like anything else, when we enter into a contract it is up to us to ensure that we know what we are doing.

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
But why should it necessary to call somebody a jobsworth just because they are doing the job they are employed to do?

Graham

Hi Graham .. sorry , but I don't agree with your analogies..

Jobsworth definition

"A worker who refuses to be flexible in the application of rules to help a client or customer"

The rule about parking inside the marked lines is to prevent sloppy parking thereby possibly denying the council of revenue .. but the rule is inflexible and doesn't take into account the larger vehicle.. so the warden who gives a ticket to someone who has paid for two places and is not prepared to help a 'client' is in my opinion a jobsworth..

In your examples there was a loss of revenue .. in the parking example there in no loss.

jim

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:thumb: Got to agree with Jim on this :ROFLMAO:
As already said lots of different rules in different places.I have found that if a parking warden is around and you ask them they are( 90% of the time ) helpful.Some even insisting that you cannot occupy 2 bays or let the body overhang the bay :Eeek: One of these would not even let my rear end overlap grassy area at the end of a bay :Eeek:On the other hand we have been told do not park in the car park but park in the coach park and if you are under an hour don't bother paying :ROFLMAO:Different places different wardens BEWARE :Eeek::ROFLMAO:
terry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham .. sorry , but I don't agree with your analogies..

Jobsworth definition

"A worker who refuses to be flexible in the application of rules to help a client or customer"

The rule about parking inside the marked lines is to prevent sloppy parking thereby possibly denying the council of revenue .. but the rule is inflexible and doesn't take into account the larger vehicle.. so the warden who gives a ticket to someone who has paid for two places and is not prepared to help a 'client' is in my opinion a jobsworth..

In your examples there was a loss of revenue .. in the parking example there in no loss.

jim

I hear what you say, Jim, but the rule isn't only to prevent loss of revenue, it is also to ensure (especially in busy car parks) that spaces aren't denied to other drivers just because somebody can't be bothered to park properly.

As Terry mentions in regard to larger vehicles councils have different rules. Some allow overhang at the rear without payment for an extra bay, some allow use of multiple bays so long as all are paid for and some allow no overhang at all. In all cases, though, it is the authority which has made the rule and not the individual parking attendant who is simply implementing the rule, irrespective of vehicle size.

If someone has paid for (and is occupying) two bays within the rules of the authority concerned then there should be no question of them getting a ticket. If, however, they stray sidewards so that more than two bays are occupied they should (just like a car driver straddling a line) expect to get a ticket. If the rule of the authority is that use of multiple bays is not allowed at all then a ticket has to be the expected outcome.

We all know the difficulties of parking large vehicles but we won't change the minds of anyone - be they councils or private companies owning car parks - by slinging insults at them or their employees.

Graham

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Come-on Graham by the very nature of the job title- parking warden - it conjures up the jobsworth label :ROFLMAO: No smoke without fire springs to mind :ROFLMAO:Lots of them deserve it and IMO very few do not :ROFLMAO:--If you find them they are ok if you ask but if not expect a ticket for the smallest infringement :ROFLMAO:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Come-on Graham by the very nature of the job title- parking warden - it conjures up the jobsworth label :ROFLMAO: No smoke without fire springs to mind :ROFLMAO:Lots of them deserve it and IMO very few do not :ROFLMAO:--If you find them they are ok if you ask but if not expect a ticket for the smallest infringement :ROFLMAO:
terry

As a rule I consider myself a law abiding parker and won't knowingly infringe any parking regulations .. but I was fined £30 for a 10 min infringement on a pay and display council car park..

It happened like this:

I knew I was over the time I had paid for and was rushing back, from about 100 yards away I saw the warden inspecting the tickets, so I called out as he was now approaching my car..
By the time I got there he had already punched in the details into his machine and had issued the ticket..
I was furious, he had saw me running but paid no heed.. this is a JOBSWORTH .. there was no need to issue a fine.. all he was prepared to say was , "sorry mate, never heard you calling, your ticket expired, I have my job to do" .. :Angry:

I contested this fine at the council office but they weren't interested, I had my ticket showing the date and time and the fact that the fine was issued within 10 mins of expiry.. another JOBSWORTH .. pay within 14 days or the fine will be £60 :Angry::Angry:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Quite correct to say that it varies with area. Different councils - and private parking companies - have different rules.

But why should it necessary to call somebody a jobsworth just because they are doing the job they are employed to do? Is a checkout operator who charges the ticket price for goods a jobsworth? Is a postman who has to implement a surcharge a jobsworth because somebody has underpaid on a letter? Is an employee of a company who insists on receiving the full wage for the work put in a jobsworth?

Like anything else, when we enter into a contract it is up to us to ensure that we know what we are doing.

Graham
do forgive me Graham no offence intended. but in my mind 2 spaces paid for should be ok anything further is being pedantic to say the least.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
terry

I disagree Terry. It only conjures that up because they have been the butt of insults over the years. "Lots of them deserve it and IMO very few do not" and "If you find them they are ok" are a bit contradictory are they not?

As a rule I consider myself a law abiding parker and won't knowingly infringe any parking regulations .. but I was fined £30 for a 10 min infringement on a pay and display council car park..

I can understand your frustration Jim but where does one draw the line? 5 minutes, 10, 30? I obviously don't know whether the particular person did hear you but once the details are processed it is out of the warden's hands so he couldn't have done anything whether he did hear you or not.

There are good and bad in every job and there will be a number who are totally inflexible - but I wonder how that compares to the number of drivers who deliberately try to get away with bending the rules to their own benefit or park badly because of their lack of consideration for others.

I bet we've all seen the people who park on a yellow line or in a disabled space because they can't be bothered to walk more than a few yards to the paper shop or the bank cash machine. The problem for anyone enforcing parking regulations is that they don't know if it was a genuine mistake (as in your case) or not.

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
do forgive me Graham no offence intended. but in my mind 2 spaces paid for should be ok anything further is being pedantic to say the least.

I totally agree that paying for two spaces is a reasonable compromise. I applaud the car park owners who do that and have tried to encourage those who don't to do so as well.

The problem we have is that some don't at the moment and their employees have no alternative but to issue tickets. As I said earlier, slinging insults won't change their minds. On the contrary, it is likely to harden attitudes.

Graham

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: Contradictory -- IMO of course it is :ROFLMAO: we are talking traffic wardens :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The problem we have is that some don't at the moment and their employees have no alternative but to issue tickets. As I said earlier, slinging insults won't change their minds. On the contrary, it is likely to harden attitudes.

Graham

What is a wardens job description ?

Is it

a) To ensure the smooth running of the facility and to ticket gross offenders .

or

b) To maximise the owners profit by laying in wait, skulking behind hedges and watching for the slightest infringement in order to issue a fixed penalty.

Wardens IMO get the name they deserve.. there may be some decent ones but by and large they are all tarred with the same brush..

I am also aware that they suffer unjust abuse by members of the public which as you say hardens attitudes.. it's a vicious circle.
Prior to being fined I stood by wardens believing they did a dirty job few would envy, but the pedantic attitude of one has changed that.. they reap what they sow.

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
well are you a jobs worth :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:had a simalar to jim parked the bike between 2 cars traffic warden arrives and sticks a ticket on the tank of my harley when theres a screen on it result ticket not paid as i sent them a bill for a custom respray on the tank big row over that and no ticket on the 2 cars either side took pic of it too :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: some people ought to get a life

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Parking Problems

I have always found the walking wardens calling the office to advise them if they have allowed you to park and to be quite helpfull :thumb:
the ones to watch are the ones that arrive in vans and wizz round putting tickets where they can then rush off to do someone else. :cry:

You may have seen my post on No Overnight Parking
I think I am going to regret posting now I have had a couple of posts asking if it is all right to park with a trailer for a couple of days are we now to find all they parking laybys etc full of extra large motor caravans with trailers and no room for anyone else
next year the laybys will be closed and full of road trimmings to stop us parking.

The local authorities are not forced to provide laybys so to all lets be fair. :thumb:

Alf

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
What is a wardens job description ?

Is it

a) To ensure the smooth running of the facility and to ticket gross offenders .

or

b) To maximise the owners profit by laying in wait, skulking behind hedges and watching for the slightest infringement in order to issue a fixed penalty.
Take out the word "gross" and "a" will be accurate. I don't know of any councils which give their staff profit quotas. I have heard in the past of private companies working as sub-contractors doing that when they shouldn't have but I think they've all been bounced by now. Willing to be shown current examples though :Smile:

Wardens IMO get the name they deserve.. there may be some decent ones but by and large they are all tarred with the same brush..

I am also aware that they suffer unjust abuse by members of the public which as you say hardens attitudes.. it's a vicious circle.
Prior to being fined I stood by wardens believing they did a dirty job few would envy, but the pedantic attitude of one has changed that.. they reap what they sow.

With a bit of luck you'll find one who does you a good turn and then you'll be able to use that attitude as a model in future :Smile:

Graham

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Watch it if you come to Blackpool they are much to keen here (that was keeping it clean) lol. so much so the local council are supposed to be having a go slow as the attendants are driving visitors mad.:shout::shout::shout:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back