I'd like to sell my van sooner than later...... (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Elsewhere on the forum I have my van for sale. I have already had an offer from the trade which is a little too far from my asking price for comfort.

However ........................ Just before I put it on Ebay I am wondering about whether or not to adjust the price 'for a quick sale' :eek:

My view is that rather than take a lower price form a dealer I would prefer to take a lower price from a fellow funster who would appreciate the savings :)

I am wondering what is the best way to procure a quick sale. What would you do?

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
With the amount of miles you have done since i have been following you on your blogs in that van, may i suggest 'clocking it' then it will be a bargin?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
:laughing:
I think it's a good price from what I can remember. Just put it on eBay and say or very near offer . You'll no doubt get the one legged soldiers being injured in Afghanistan , and I have a disabled child that would be more comfy in a Motorhome but don't have any money will you give it away stories , like we did. Maybe the odd well buy it with out seeing it and send a courier scam. But I bet you sell it. It's a great van.
Put it on gumtree too. My friends just got full asking price after 2 days on there.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I put my Geist Silver Spirit 700G on ebay this time lat year. I started it at 99p with NO RESERVE and $4at myself for a week. I planned it so that it finished on a Sunday evening at about 8.15 and it reached a fair if slightly disappointing price just 4-5 days in and stayed there until 2 minute to go when all the snipers leapt at it and it rose by almost £4000 in under 2 minutes.

The eventual buyer was well pleased with the price, couldn't believe his luck I on the other hand couldn't believe that I ran that beast for just over three years and lost less than £400 excluding what I spent on it in the way of LED/ Solar / Camos Dome etc. Right result lovely jubely.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Elsewhere on the forum I have my van for sale. I have already had an offer from the trade which is a little too far from my asking price for comfort.

However ........................ Just before I put it on Ebay I am wondering about whether or not to adjust the price 'for a quick sale' :eek:

My view is that rather than take a lower price form a dealer I would prefer to take a lower price from a fellow funster who would appreciate the savings :)

I am wondering what is the best way to procure a quick sale. What would you do?
Are you giving up or chopping in for something else for pastures new?

?

Deleted User
Guy just joined the forum has started looking for a van.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I put my Geist Silver Spirit 700G on ebay this time lat year. I started it at 99p with NO RESERVE and $4at myself for a week. I planned it so that it finished on a Sunday evening at about 8.15 and it reached a fair if slightly disappointing price just 4-5 days in and stayed there until 2 minute to go when all the snipers leapt at it and it rose by almost £4000 in under 2 minutes.

The eventual buyer was well pleased with the price, couldn't believe his luck I on the other hand couldn't believe that I ran that beast for just over three years and lost less than £400 excluding what I spent on it in the way of LED/ Solar / Camos Dome etc. Right result lovely jubely.
Phew you were brave. I wouldn't have dared.:Eeek:
But I suppose if it didn't reach a good price you could pull out. If it meant losing £1,000's

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I put my motorhome on EBay with a starting bid price and a Buy it Now price. Someone clicked Buy it Now within hours, paid a deposit and arrived the following weekend to collect it. I was expecting a lot of hassle but it went through very quickly and easily.

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
newbie from caravan - 5yrs now
my brother may be interested but wont know for a couple of days - presume that is too long.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
What s ebays percentage for a car/van sale?

It varies, sometimes they write and say list it for £1.00, if it is an auction and you start off at 99p as I did that brings the rate right down. I sold for £31,400.00 and it cost me £34 in total for 9 photos and top of page or some other gimmick.

If it is just a classified advert it gets a lot more expensive.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
It varies, sometimes they write and say list it for £1.00, if it is an auction and you start off at 99p as I did that brings the rate right down. I sold for £31,400.00 and it cost me £34 in total for 9 photos and top of page or some other gimmick.

If it is just a classified advert it gets a lot more expensive.

yeah but with a classified the basic price normally about £15 is all you pay..its good value. weather improving now, in a weeks I have talks in progress with 2 serious buyers...so far all talk:)

?

Deleted User
I was thinking more a buy now price. Its only my old car so not looking for much but i tend to ask 10% more than i want on other items to cover ebay fees. Just wondering what to add if u use it to sell my car.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I recall that in just a few days it had bids up around £27,000, now if you are aware that the dealer had offered me £30,000 or £5000 off the price if I manged to sell it privately and that was without beginning to negotiate so at £27000 I was already £2000 ahead of the opening offer from Southdowns.

Then it sold for £30,500 and he gave me a further £900 for a load of bits an pieces. Then of course once I had been let down by the seller of the new Frankia I found the larger model in Germany and after a bit of negotiation saved almost £30,000 plus the exchange rate was in my favour as well, every day that I hadn't parted with the dosh saved another £1000 on the £100,000+ exchange rate.

All in all it was the deal of the century and I'm still chuffed to this day.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
yeah but with a classified the basic price normally about £15 is all you pay..its good value. weather improving now, in a weeks I have talks in progress with 2 serious buyers...so far all talk:)

Is that all, my youngest son deals in trailers and he pays up around £30 for a £500 item, if it really is £15 then that is good value.

?

Deleted User
Broken Link Removed

Bugger that did not work. Scroll to motors and open up

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Is that all, my youngest son deals in trailers and he pays up around £30 for a £500 item, if it really is £15 then that is good value.
I sold a Haibike e bike last year for £1400 (only cost £1400 two years ago) I got hit for £140 in fees on a buy it now:(

no commission on a classified....

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Yes, 10% final value fees soon add up
:(
I think the max is £250 on general stuff, and £400 on motors etc..

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Isn't it only a couple of days you put up the advert think of it like selling a (very cheap) house you wouldn't panic if it took a few weeks. Unless you are desperate for the cash chill out for a week or 2 and maybe someone will go to the NEC get some quotes and realise yours is a bargain. I would advertise on autotrader its always worked well for us selling cars.

Nov 2, 2012
southampton
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
since2005
I think the ebay terms and conditions have changed. I think that now, any bid over reserve is binding.
Regards Phil

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Are you giving up or chopping in for something else for pastures new?

We have a lot of stuff to deal with this year (house move , grand children :D:D etc) and also Mrs Chox still hankers after another sailing yacht. We will (probably) return to MH'ing but another day in a different way :)

my brother may be interested but wont know for a couple of days - presume that is too long.

No real panic, but do want to sell by end of March :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
@chockswahay OK This may sound harsh but I dont think its a bargain as the longer vans with twin singles/ larger pull out shower far more popular. Put it on ebay classified, preloved (free) Gumtree (free) and see How it goes in a couple of weeks..weather def improving. it make all the difference. I would drop it £2K if you want a quick sale after a few weeks...Or now, entirely up to you:)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@chockswahay OK This may sound harsh but I dont think its a bargain as the longer vans with twin singles/ larger pull out shower far more popular

Haha, c'mon Judge, with one for sale you would say that ;) Not every one wants single beds or a loo that cuts the van in half when on the throne :D Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

Glad to hear your op went well :) let's hope we both sell successfully (y)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Now that is a proper yacht, they'll go anywhere, my next door neighbor at Port Solent bought the 38 Deck saloon, the only problem he found was reversing her under power. Offset prop she had a mind of her own.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back