European Union referendum and motorhomes over seas (1 Viewer)

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
Anyone have any idea how us leaving the union will effect our traveling over the water for six months a year?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Shouldn't be a problem, worst case you'll need a visa but if you don't intend to seek work and are just going to be spending money in the EU why should they worry? Medical insurance might go up though, unless there is some sort of reciprocal agreement.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
There was a guy from the Border Agency on Radio 4 this morning, although on MHF most folks say it will not impact on european travel at all, his view was that if we are out then we would no longer hold a EU passport and we would be quizzed at every border as to the reason for our visit - and issued with a time limited tourist visa - same as when travel outside EU now.

Deleted User
There was a guy from the Border Agency on Radio 4 this morning, although on MHF most folks say it will not impact on european travel at all, his view was that if we are out then we would no longer hold a EU passport and we would be quizzed at every border as to the reason for our visit - and issued with a time limited tourist visa - same as when travel outside EU now.

Quizzed at every border!!!!

Not unless they man them all again you won't, and I can't see them doing that can you?

Once you're in a sengin country, you can travel between them freely (regardless of your nationality) makes you wonder if these so called "experts" have ever left their desks!!!

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We can't see it having any great detrimental effect - after all Brit tourists expenditure built the Costas with our holidays in the past . . & we'll always need sunny holidays abroad :)

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Presumably we would need an Eu visa as opposed to one for France, Spain or where ever. I wonder whether we would be queing at the Eu exit/entryports (ie Calais) for hours at a time though, not the relaxed approach experience now! Would it make any difference to border security? Personally I think there's too much hype being banded about by those with a vested interest

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
[QUO"Reallyretired, post: 1757569, member: 2327"]Didn't need a visa before we joined, don't see why we'd need one if we left.[/QUOTE]
You don't honestly believe the French would take losing billions of our money without getting as bitchy as possible do you?

Deleted User
Our MH insurance covers us 365 days home and away for EU countries, this along with the pet passport being EU and EHIC also displaying the yellow star circle, are the 3 things I hope are going to be addressed and clarified.

Lin :)
Its what I will be asking anyone who asks from either side, doorstop knocking etc. I'm guessing will be met with a blank stare.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Just how many Funsters were travelling in Europe in a motorhome pre EU LONG STAY, I think not many, so how can we know what effect getting out would be.
What effect will it be for those that live here, once again we don't know.
So lets just wait the outcome.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I think the EHIC will no longer be valid.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Post Brexit, nothing will change.

Ask any immigrant in the Jungle at Calais. How many times were their passports checked at EU border crossings?

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I think we will be ok going out but when we get back control of our boarders can we get back in

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
On one hand it might mean no change as tourists are welcomed all over the EU and it would be silly to disrupt it...on the other hand to discourage any other member following the same exit route they could make it difficult for a while, visas for each country, medical insurance, bailbonds, etc...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Boards , short , two comes to mind.

Didn't need a visa before we joined, don't see why we'd need one if we left.
True , but we had agreements before & hopefully they'll continue.

You don't honestly believe the French would take losing billions of our money without getting as bitchy as possible do you?
Even less likely to turn away the money we spend in France/Spain then. The pet passport is just to get back into UK not to visit France, so would be under our control if we out.[/QUOTE]

Can't speak for the French but I can assure you that if it starts tit-for-tat then the Spanish wouldn't even consider whether they were losing money by doing it.

Most of the regions don't like each other & even ask for an EHIC off a Spaniard from another reason so they'll think nothing of doing it to someone foreign.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Can anyone tell me what Cameron has brought back? (n)(n):whistle:

Not much we didn't already have, really.
His "Reformed" EU isn't reformed much, certainly not enough for me to trust him :rofl:and vote in.

On the question of "will we need an EU Visa to travel on the Continent".......

Imposition of Visas can work both ways, many countries grant free passage but issue visas at the entry point.
Usually time limited.
The barrier to that is we would be able to do the same for EU citizens, so can't see it happening.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
As non EU countries both Norway and Switzerland are still Schengen agreement countries.....so what's the quiz, how many idiots does the border agency employ ???? The only thing the Swiss border guards were interested in with me was swindling me for a vignette. Norway, a postal demand for £15 in road tolls.......

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
If you are in the EEA then it is EXACTLY the same as being in the EU .Except you have no input into any decisions.

The Uk CANNOT say it will remain in the EEA. The UK is in the EU , A full member. If it votes to leave then it will be out. It will then have to make an agreement during the 2 year period to enter the EEA , along with agreements on 000's of other things. The EU will have no reason whatsoever to actually wish to make an agreement within the 2 year period as the UK would have a reasonable negotiating position & most things will continue as they are now during the period.
Whereas once the 2 year period is up then the UK has to say it is leaving as there is no way of extending the 2 year period & if they don't then the EU is likely to say " There's the door , shut it on the way out ". Then the UK would be negotiating from a position of........... well ,it wouldn't have a position or even have anything to negotiate with. It'd be akin to begging & would likely end up costing more per day to get in the EEA than it does now as a full member.
That would be my strategy as an EU negotiator.:)

Let me just run this past you once more & for the final time as if you still don't understand that EU=EEA & there is no difference , nothing will change, then it is worrying that you have a vote.:LOL:
Out has to mean out otherwise you'll be paying the same or more.

An EU full member has a say in decisions made & a possibility of phasing in new regulations . An EEA member has no say in any decision making process & has to implement them by the due date . Both the Swiss & Norwegians have publicly stated that being in the EEA , they pay similar to full members.:(

In my post I merely pointed out that the EHIC card was not an EU entity but run by the EEA.

The UK would always have its trade with the EU as a bargaining point.

Switzerland voted not to join the EEA and managed to get a separate deal, so it is possible.

Do EEA countries pay into the EU?

Its worrying that you still have a vote...
::bigsmile:

Terry

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Balderdash. Whatever one's voting intentions:
1. Cameron didn't have to promise to hold a referendum - but he did.
2. Cameron didn't have to let members of his government campaign against government policy - but he has.

If anything it is the sceptic ministers who are showing their true colours by pretending that they have a right to information when they know full well that they have no such right. In any campaign it is up to those on each side to research their own evidence, not to demand that the opposing side provides it. If the Brexit supporters are unable to provide facts on which people may base their decision then maybe it's because facts to support their case do not exist.

Even Bernard Jenkin, hardly a fan of the EU, realised that the government position was sound at the meeting of the Commons Public Administration Committee yesterday.
but this campaign is like watching a football game where one team is banned from touching the ball,hardly right is it?
but the gullible will follow the tory line.:rolleyes:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
but this campaign is like watching a football game where one team is banned from touching the ball,hardly right is it?
but the gullible will follow the tory line.:rolleyes:
More like some of the players have joined the other side and have been told they can't use their original team shirts.

What's the Tory line got to do with it? My post you quoted only stated facts not any opinion either way (quite apart from the fact that it's Tories on both sides that are the subject :)).

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Was he a blood relative...check on line or call them don't know to be honest. My kids intitled as I was born there not sure about wife through.......
Their grandfather, "my wife's father" was born and bred on the south coast of Island so I guess part of their blood line is Irish. My youngest could pass for a paddy in any company;)

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
In my post I merely pointed out that the EHIC card was not an EU entity but run by the EEA.

The UK would always have its trade with the EU as a bargaining point.

Switzerland voted not to join the EEA and managed to get a separate deal, so it is possible.

Do EEA countries pay into the EU?

Its worrying that you still have a vote...
::bigsmile:

Terry
Glad you mentioned the Switzerland position:

"The cornerstone of EU-Swiss relations is the Free Trade Agreement of 1972.

As a consequence of the rejection of theEEA membership in 1992, Switzerland and the EU agreed on a package of seven sectoral agreements signed in 1999 (known in Switzerland as "Bilaterals I"). These include: free movement of persons, technical trade barriers, public procurement, agriculture and air and land transport. In addition, a scientific research agreement fully associated Switzerland into the EU's framework research programmes.

A further set of sectoral agreements was signed in 2004 (known as "Bilaterals II"), covering, inter alia, Switzerland's participation in Schengen and Dublin, and agreements on taxation of savings, processed agricultural products, statistics, combating fraud, participation in the EU Media Programme, the Environment Agency, and Swiss financial contributions to economic and social cohesion in the new EU Member States.

In 2010 an agreement was signed on Swiss participation in EU education, professional training and youth programmes.

In overall, around 100 bilateral agreements currently exist between the EU and Switzerland.

The on-going implementation of these agreements obliges Switzerland to take over relevant Community legislation in the covered sectors.

These bilateral agreements between the EU and Switzerland are currently managed through a structure of more than 15 joint committees"

So they had to open their borders and agree to be governed by EU legislation without any input to that legislation, seems like a worsening of our current position, oh hang on a minute I'm being all negative, perhaps because it is all negative!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Glad you mentioned the Switzerland position:

"The cornerstone of EU-Swiss relations is the Free Trade Agreement of 1972.

As a consequence of the rejection of theEEA membership in 1992, Switzerland and the EU agreed on a package of seven sectoral agreements signed in 1999 (known in Switzerland as "Bilaterals I"). These include: free movement of persons, technical trade barriers, public procurement, agriculture and air and land transport. In addition, a scientific research agreement fully associated Switzerland into the EU's framework research programmes.

A further set of sectoral agreements was signed in 2004 (known as "Bilaterals II"), covering, inter alia, Switzerland's participation in Schengen and Dublin, and agreements on taxation of savings, processed agricultural products, statistics, combating fraud, participation in the EU Media Programme, the Environment Agency, and Swiss financial contributions to economic and social cohesion in the new EU Member States.

In 2010 an agreement was signed on Swiss participation in EU education, professional training and youth programmes.

In overall, around 100 bilateral agreements currently exist between the EU and Switzerland.

The on-going implementation of these agreements obliges Switzerland to take over relevant Community legislation in the covered sectors.

These bilateral agreements between the EU and Switzerland are currently managed through a structure of more than 15 joint committees"

So they had to open their borders and agree to be governed by EU legislation without any input to that legislation, seems like a worsening of our current position, oh hang on a minute I'm being all negative, perhaps because it is all negative!

so are you saying Pat by going out..a trade deal will make the migrant situation worse!lol

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I would think that Switzerland's trading position is vastly different to that of the UK. They purchase very little from other EU countries compared to the UK so had very little bargaining power. The UK on the other hand have massive trading with the EU and a nett loss on import versus export.

Mar 19, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
Maybe we should all be looking at the bigger picture on such a major decision. It'll be no use relying on info from the media that only are interested in hype!
As I understand it if we pull out then your EHIC goes in the bin. It would then be foolish not to have very costly travel insurance. Any prolonged visit outside the UK will require a visa. Returning to the UK with animals will, I would imagine, be the same as now. Also I think you would be correct in your thoughts on the French attitude to us (already loved ☺) brits !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back