Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I have two older laptops, one is a compaq pessario at about eight years and an Acer Aspire at around four years.
The Acer had W7 installed and I upgraded to W10. I must admit I've had little problem with the upgrade.
My question involves the older machine. Can I upgrade to W7 from vista?
Both machines are lightly used, certainly not for anything approaching their potential, and I would like to carry the compaq in the Moho.
If yes, where would be the best place to get W7 from.
I'm not 'frightened' by computers, but would come in the "basic" grade on the ability scale.
Thanks for listening
Geoff

As an afterthought, most of my playtime is on an iPad again at a low level.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
The Compaq would run a lot slower on W7 if it did manage to install. Stick with Vista.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Do you have the Windows 7 operating system CD from the Acer that could be installed on the Compaq? I know CDs aren't as common as they used to be.

Failing that there's a completely free OS called Ubuntu that works in a similar way to Windows.

Your Compaq might run more efficiently if you increased the amount of RAM by replacing the card(s).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Just insert XP discs? Automatic from there, or is input needed from me( other than the normal 'wiizard' )
Install from disc but do a clean install that will delete all your files and start afresh.

?

Deleted User
Might be better to change OS from Vista to XP ?

No MS support any more. I say get Linux installed. Put Lubuntu 15.10 in one of my laptops last night and its a whiz. As yet i have had no drivers issues. Linux mint and Vectorlinux are two that are easy to use and almost windows like in looks and user interface, and they are free.

OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Thank you all for your replies. Everything is backed to an external hard drive. (Samsung 1 tb). I'm tempted by @Notakwak suggestion. I have Windows on the other laptop, no nothing ventured nothing gained. Again thanks.
Geoff

?

Deleted User
Thank you all for your replies. Everything is backed to an external hard drive. (Samsung 1 tb). I'm tempted by @Notakwak suggestion. I have Windows on the other laptop, no nothing ventured nothing gained. Again thanks.
Geoff

What i put it in was a wee netbook as i wanted fast boot up time. Its getting plumbed into my hi-fi and home network for listening to my backed up music. It also is getting used to listen to DAB radio online so linux is ideal for that. A lot come with free versions of office pre installed and is compatible with Microsoft office so no problem reading and writing documents. I am enjoying this so much i may replace my two windows 10 laptops.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back