LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We are due to collect new MH in March so I've been looking to sort the insurance out.

I now find myself with a difficult decision and wonder if anyone has any thoughts...

Insurer "A" want a premium that is almost twice insurer "B", but don't want a tracker and will give unlimited windscreen cover. Also policy (ex windscreen) has a £500 excess.

Insurer B are a lot cheaper, and have only a £200 excess. However they require a tracker, and the windscreen cover is limited to £3,000 any one claim.

The MH in question is a Hymer MLI 580 and I don't know whether £3,000 would be enough for a new windscreen.

A tracker will have a year one and ongoing support costs, but given the difference in premium (£400) I think it would be viable to have a tracker fitted.

If I do fit a tracker, insurer A only take £75 off the premium so I wouldn't bother.

I think typing this has helped my mind decide I favour the cheaper quote (with Aviva) but it's just the windscreen bit that bothers me.

Any thoughts?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I often find I answer my own questions when posting on here :)

I would hope £3000 would easily cover a new screen, we had one on a Pilote that cost £2400 inc VAT

So if you only real worry left was windscreen cancel that fear, at worst you would have to find any extra, so even if it is £3200 it is only £200 from you and that presumes you break it (y)

It is not as though you are looking to use an unknown insurer, Aviva are a big enough name

OP
OP
MillieMoocher

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Thanks @DavidG58 , helpful thought. Of course, with the windscreen I'd only be looking at the difference between £3k and the actual cost, not the whole thing - and that puts a different perspective on things.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind, especially reassured knowing the cost of a Pilote screen so I'd guess a Hymer will be in the same ball park (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Before you do anything else check break down cover will rescue your weight of van and are you covered on the continent. (y)

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
I would seriously consider a tracker for your van it's just an extra peace of mind even if you don't benefit from insurance, as you are from W Yorks are you getting it from Huddersfield if so you need to speak to Malcolm he can fit them a little cheaper then dealer.

If you want to pm me I can give you more info.

Liz

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Before you do anything else check break down cover will rescue your weight of van and are you covered on the continent. (y)
You might consider joining ADAC .. Probably save yourself a load of cash and get great cover in Europe.

OP
OP
MillieMoocher

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Thanks all for your replies.

I checked out the breakdown cover that I asked to be included, and it's fine for the size of the van.

It's a bit annoying as I have cover with the bank account for breakdown and recovery but it's limited to vehicles of 7 m and 3.5 tonne. The MH is 6.9 m, and in standard guise gas a GVW of 3.5 tonne - however we've had it related to 3.85 tonne for better payload, so falls outside the criteria despite being (unless fully loaded) the same van..

@Hyacythn 1 , thanks for the offer . We're actually getting it from Lowdhams in Notts so I'll get them to sort it. I also agree with your peace of mind comment.

Slightly annoyed as I asked about a tracker when we ordered the thing, and was assured nobody would require one and the alarm I was having fitted would suffice. So I suspect I'll end up paying a bit more as the fitters will have to come back.

Still, no pockets in a shroud ...

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
There is a post on the Knaus owners site where the windscreen cost £4,750 so it may be worthwhile getting a quote to see how much before you buy.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
"It's a bit annoying as I have cover with the bank account for breakdown and recovery but it's limited to vehicles of 7 m and 3.5 tonne. The MH is 6.9 m, and in standard guise gas a GVW of 3.5 tonne - however we've had it related to 3.85 tonne for better payload, so falls outside the criteria despite being (unless fully loaded) the same van.."

Our 'van is a 3500kgs van that has been uprated to 3650kgs.

The original plate is under the bonnet. The 'new' plate isn't there and I wouldn't be flashing it at a breakdown man if needed.:whistle::whistle::whistle:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
If you do have a claim with Aviva - you will have a nightmare sorting it out with them.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
If you do have a claim with Aviva - you will have a nightmare sorting it out with them.
You reckon? They are normally pretty good IMHO for cars /commercial. If their MH division really that bad?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back