Free Member
Jul 25, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
none yet but hopefully many
Hi All

just came across these handbrake extenders and thought they were a really good idea, anyone have and use one. \and are they any good.

cheers all

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi All

just came across these handbrake extenders and thought they were a really good idea, anyone have and use one. \and are they any good.

cheers all

No idea, but you have posted a banned url .. :roflmto:

try this link, get the review, and Funsters discount

Link Removed

Last edited:

sirhandel

Free Member
Nov 28, 2008
Chippenham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I bought a Kobran for my 2006 Peugeot Boxer based Elddis. It did the job effectively but I thought it expensive for what it was. The driver's seat didn't swivel so no problem there, but I found that with the handbrake+Kobran ON, if you turned right and slid sideways off the seat you could end up with a nasty bruise/graize to your thigh. Mind you - you only do it once, or twice if you're stupid like me.....

I then bought a 2009 Ducato based Rapido and tried in vain to transfer it. It just wouldn't fit over the rubber hand-hold. Sold it half price on this forum.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Kobran v Rare Spares

I really needed a handbrake extender for our MH and looked into the Kobran, but decided that some of the reports of it being a bit flimsy, plus the serious disadvantage of it preventing the driver's seat from swivelling caused me to not bother.

I then spotted the Rare Spares one that is sold on this forum and decided that the extra £30 for something that was sturdier and folded out of the way to allow the seat to swivel was a good deal.

I purchased one and having fitted it, I'm absolutely delighted with it. The mechanism acts in a similar way to a sport handbrake, in that you lift the handle and lower it to the floor - no button to push; lifting the handle achieves that. There is a bit of a technique to engaging the brake; as you lift the handle you need to put an element of forward tilt to your wrist. This will ensure a positive and readily felt engagement.

I love it and my wife, who had great difficulty reaching the handbrake before, finds it so much easier, though she has only driven the vehicle once or twice since I fitted it.

My opinion - forget the Kobran, spend the extra £30 or so. Fitting is straightforward. You won't regret it. :thumb:

John

Zozzer

Free Member
Nov 4, 2007
Leigh, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Not Long Enough
I have a Kobran on our 2003 Autosleeper and don't see any problems with it.
Well worth every penny I spent on it.

ingram

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
One of the 'Fun' members did a 'long term' report on the 'Rare Spares' one. There was a comment about the possibility of accidentally releasing it when exiting the 'van, which I have seen repeated elsewhere. Other than that I think it was mostly good.

A search for 'handbrake' should find it.

I think it worth researching as much as you can about these ( or any other ) products before purchase. My research favours the Rare Spares so far but they both have pros and cons I think. I haven't actually seen either of them in the real plastic or metal and I would be making an effort to do that before lashing out any money on either, if I was considering buying one.

Harvey

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
{Snip}There was a comment about the possibility of accidentally releasing it when exiting the 'van, which I have seen repeated elsewhere. {/Snip}

That does happen but it isn't a problem since I always turn off the engine and put the van into gear before exiting anyway. Also, it takes just a few seconds to remove the pin and swing the extender out of the way.

I can't imagine driving George without the extender now, especially thinking back to hill-starts :Eeek:

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have had both handbrake extenders and both have their merits but......

Rare Spares
  • Folds down to allow seat to swivel
  • Once fitted to handbrake lever it stays on (25000 miles later)
  • Nothing to break as it is made entirely from metal (rubber grip excepted)
  • Expensive but truly worth it (according to my back)
  • Beautifully engineered and made to last
Kobran

• None of the above

Zozzer

Free Member
Nov 4, 2007
Leigh, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Not Long Enough
I have had both handbrake extenders and both have their merits but......

Rare Spares
  • Folds down to allow seat to swivel
  • Once fitted to handbrake lever it stays on (25000 miles later)
  • Nothing to break as it is made entirely from metal (rubber grip excepted)
  • Expensive but truly worth it (according to my back)
  • Beautifully engineered and made to last
Kobran

• None of the above

As a Quality Engineer with an extremely critical eye, I have found NONE of the reported faults above in the 20,000+ miles that our Kobran handbrake extender has been fitted to our Autosleeper.

The Kobran is perfectly fit for the purpose it was intended, and fitting is easy once you have completed an intentive mechanical engineering apprenticeship, and two nights a week study into the secrets of the screwdriver.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Hi all, I've just come across this thread so my response may be irrelevant now but I've had the Rare Spares one and it was fine for a while but, possible because I'm a bit heavy handed, it disintergrated after a year or so

http://*********************/kobran-motorhome-handbrake-extender-p-173.html

cheers all

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I really have never seen the point of these devices. Yes I need to reach down a few inches to grasp the hand brake lever, so what. Surely if that is too much of an effort then should you actually be driving at all?

If it was considered to be a safety issue, then all of the vehicles would have been recalled.

I could understand it if the driver was disabled and needed all controls within a predefined distance, but apparently 'able bodied' people buy them???

Geoff

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Just a quick recommendation for functional products (rare spares). Bought one thinking it would fit my van but it didn't. Nigel refunded not only the cost of the handbrake but postage as well.

May 26, 2017
Derry
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
zero
I really have never seen the point of these devices. Yes I need to reach down a few inches to grasp the hand brake lever, so what. Surely if that is too much of an effort then should you actually be driving at all?

If it was considered to be a safety issue, then all of the vehicles would have been recalled.

I could understand it if the driver was disabled and needed all controls within a predefined distance, but apparently 'able bodied' people buy them???

Geoff
I'm surprised it hasn't been recalled. I'm 5ft 10 and can't grab my handbrake without removing my seat belt and leaning so far forward my chin is about 4" away from the steering wheel as the 3 O'clock position.
It;s so badly designed I assumed the one on my 2012 boxer was damaged so I bought a full handbrake leaver/mount to replace it.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
That is strange, I am also 5ft 10in and have no trouble using the hand brake on my 2010 Peugeot Boxer. Plus I have swivel seats, so a little higher than standard fitting.
I also see that some have managed to release the brake accidentally. Now that has the potential to be very dangerous.
Geoff

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019
I’ve got one one my van (rapido 9090 on a Ducato )
It was on it when I bought it , I’d never seen them before this, as already said don’t really see the point unless you are physically unable to bend forward. I find it a bit of a pain and as Geoff said the potential to release the handbrake accidentally is very real I catch every time I get out of the van 😡
I’m probably going to take mine off but am incredibly lazy so maybe one day 👍

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
I’m 5’6” and can reach the handbrake in our Boxer fine. It’s a bit odd because it’s down there to the right instead of on the left in all the cars I’ve ever driven and I’ve not driven the van much yet but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. I’m glad it’s there and not in the middle tbh for swivelling the seats and walking through into the back.

Nov 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Vivaro camervan
Kobran v Rare Spares

I really needed a handbrake extender for our MH and looked into the Kobran, but decided that some of the reports of it being a bit flimsy, plus the serious disadvantage of it preventing the driver's seat from swivelling caused me to not bother.

I then spotted the Rare Spares one that is sold on this forum and decided that the extra £30 for something that was sturdier and folded out of the way to allow the seat to swivel was a good deal.

I purchased one and having fitted it, I'm absolutely delighted with it. The mechanism acts in a similar way to a sport handbrake, in that you lift the handle and lower it to the floor - no button to push; lifting the handle achieves that. There is a bit of a technique to engaging the brake; as you lift the handle you need to put an element of forward tilt to your wrist. This will ensure a positive and readily felt engagement.

I love it and my wife, who had great difficulty reaching the handbrake before, finds it so much easier, though she has only driven the vehicle once or twice since I fitted it.

My opinion - forget the Kobran, spend the extra £30 or so. Fitting is straightforward. You won't regret it. :thumb:

John
I bought a Rarespares extender handbrake and found it no good for my campervan so sent it back did not think it was worth it. Ordered the kobran handbrake looks alot better arrived today so am going fit
tomorrow hopefully all goes okay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back