Free Member
Feb 21, 2016
North wales
Funster No
MH
Peugrot 100
Exp
Guys

Ok we've done loads of touring around the UK, but feeling adventurous about driving abroad to the Netherlands.
Are there roundabouts over there and how is driving on the right in general?
I've driven on the right before but that was in a left hand drive car.
Our MH is the autoquest 100 so not too big but big enough driving in a foreign country.
Advice please guy's thanks

Dave

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
No problem, yes there are roundabouts, and some have lane segregation, so you need your right hand lane to turn right and the left hand lane to proceed straight ahead or turn left. Some are longer than others, that caught me out a couple of times, other wise the roads are good. Look out for the cyclists in urban and town areas, both when driving and walking, they don't slow down for corners!!

Enjoy your adventure.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
No Problem, been over about a dozen times ,
after the first 30 mins it becomes second nature,
one thing to remember is when you stop for a cuppa / petrol / shopping etc & you are a bit relaxed / not 100% concentrating is REMEMBER drive on the right
so easy to forget at those times, put a note on dashboard / windscreen.
if you've got a satnav they usually remind you .

Any other questions just ask.
where are you actually going ---- netherlands ?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The Dutch are the best motorway drivers I've seen in Europe so far, because all the loonies are on bikes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Roundabouts can be disorientating at first as going the wrong way round them just doesn't feel right, but you will soon get used to it.

There are a few tricks to keep safe. Never pull up and park on the left hand side of the road as when you set off again you might stay on the left, especially if there is no traffic about. On narrow roads with no white line down the middle be very wary of suddenly coming across another vehicle coming the other way - you may instinctively pull to the left.

And as mentioned beware of cyclists! I suspect they have similar laws to France which means you must give them 1m of space in built-up areas and 1.5m of space everywhere else when overtaking.

forthpilot

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
longniddry
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since early 2013
Driving in Netherlands is quite straightforward. Very busy on weekends, they have overhead cameras which monitor stuff such as driving too close ( 2 second rule.) or average speed. Used to be a problem, particularly in the North, with 'give way to cyclists on roundabouts', but not had that in the last few years,with the new cycle lanes. In cities they are very hot on parking where you extend into the adjacent cycle lane. Lots of parking for motor homes, especially in smaller towns, with cycle paths into the town itself. Most large supermarkets very tolerant of motor-homers in my experience. They are a nation of campers, and very accommodating, with a great network of farm campsites that make our system look Stone-age.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We were there last year with the van, I had previously driven cars there many times when on business so found it no problem. I have to say I found driving the van around easier than in France which in it's turn is much easier than the busier parts of the UK. Just think, you are not driving on the wrong side of the road, just the other side.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Did our 1st trip over the pond in Belgium and Holland in a R/H drive van a few years ago. found it very easy, nice flat landscape, decent drivers, loved it.

The original intent was to visit Ypres then drive around France but after 2 days in Ypres we set off for Breskens in Holland, easier than driving in England.

Jim has done a "KEEP RIGHT" sheet which is in the resources section if memory serves me, it prints out backwards, place it on the dash and it reflects in the windscreen the right way round.

Very useful.

Enjoy your trip, i am sure your nerves will vanish within 30 minute.

Hymie

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
As others have said beware of the rules about cyclists, especially at some roundabouts were they have right of way - as it should be.

That said it's a great motorhome friendly place, you'll wonder why you didn't go sooner!

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
You wont have a problem we go to Assen every year towing a 6mt trailer & find it very straight forward ( was going to say went with out a hitch:rolleyes:) Chill & ease your self in maybe not do too many miles the first day, sleep on it & the next day will be fine, Have a great trip(y)

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
Roads are very good, cyclists are your biggest problem as they have right of way in most places. Roundabouts just go the opposite direction and remember if you are right hand drive you should be on the right. Dutch do tend to cut back in very quickly but this seems to be there way.
What ferry route are you taking? Hull or Harwich?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The Dutch are the best motorway drivers I've seen in Europe so far, because all the loonies are on bikes.
Not on the motorways I've been on they are complete nutters right up each other's arses in the rain at high speed and they all cut across your bow for slip roads

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We found it, easy, fine, quiet and stressfree in September even when busy around Amsterdam and Rotterdam it was fine, you do have to give way to tractors as well as cyclists in some rural areas. Found it funny that we followed signs for England / Hull to get back to ferry!
Have a good trip.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back