City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
This is the metal above windscreen
PDW_7959.jpg

If i try and T-cut it then wax it is there any more i can do to stop it coming back?
Many thanks
Pete

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I think the 'only' way to ensure that it doesn't come back in the long run is to remove the windscreen, take the paint back to bare metal, treat and then respray.
Apart from the fact that it's in just about the worst place to get to, paintwise, it's not a 'Big' job.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I think the 'only' way to ensure that it doesn't come back in the long run is to remove the windscreen, take the paint back to bare metal, treat and then respray.
Apart from the fact that it's in just about the worst place to get to, paintwise, it's not a 'Big' job.

I realised after I had pressed the 'Send' button that of course, after you have got the window out, then you can sit on the dash to get at the rust.
If you don't go mad with the grinder then you can mask off the paintwork immediately above the windscreen so as to not have to do a heap of spraying.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Brightonian

Brightonian

Free Member
Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
I realised after I had pressed the 'Send' button that of course, after you have got the window out, then you can sit on the dash to get at the rust.
If you don't go mad with the grinder then you can mask off the paintwork immediately above the windscreen so as to not have to do a heap of spraying.
Don't think i have the skills or confidence to do this:(

I've used Kurust successfully in the past. Also available in larger bottles.
Is it a case of treating the rust with the Kurust then masking along windscreen and painting, or would the windscreen have to come out?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Is it a case of treating the rust with the Kurust then masking along windscreen and painting, or would the windscreen have to come out?
I've never used it in a situation where taking a window out was involved but I suppose it depends on the extent. If, as @Ranger says, there is some rust behind the rubber then that would need treating as well. If it is only above the rubber, though, the rubbing it down to the metal and treating the metal before repainting is equivalent to what I have done.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Don't park it facing the sea. If you live in Brighton and it is outside, damage it caused by the salt in the air.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Don't think i have the skills or confidence to do this:(

Sorry to say this but to do the job properly, the screen has to come out.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry to say this but to do the job properly, the screen has to come out.
And somewhere like autowindscreens or autoglass will remove and refit the screen for a fee....and a damage waiver form filled in and signed.

Autoglass removed, resealed and refitted my RV screen in the past.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That could be serious. Try and ease the rubber away with a screwdriver and look in the joint, the screwdriver will go through the metal if the gods are not smiling on you. If they are smiling you will find nice solid paint and you can clean it up, treat, paint.

OP
OP
Brightonian

Brightonian

Free Member
Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
And somewhere like autowindscreens or autoglass will remove and refit the screen for a fee....and a damage waiver form filled in and signed.

Autoglass removed, resealed and refitted my RV screen in the past.
Thats interesting didnt know that.

I think i might though look for a quote to do it from body repairer as i got more to be done on the door and bonnet. ( if only i had more skills and confidence:unsure:)

Attachments

• PDW_7960.jpg
    PDW_7960.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 59
  • PDW_7961.jpg
    PDW_7961.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
Brightonian

Brightonian

Free Member
Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
That could be serious. Try and ease the rubber away with a screwdriver and look in the joint, the screwdriver will go through the metal if the gods are not smiling on you. If they are smiling you will find nice solid paint and you can clean it up, treat, paint.
Good idea will have a look tomorrow in day light.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I take it that it is a year old fiat then? Pull the rubber down and look at the metal ladge as the water lies there and rots it quietly then sneaks out and you see it there, usually a lot worse that you think,, Sorry but that is life with metals and sea air.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
As others have said, a body repair place is probably you best bet, they should be able to do the job at a cost.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thats interesting didnt know that.

I think i might though look for a quote to do it from body repairer as i got more to be done on the door and bonnet. ( if only i had more skills and confidence:unsure:)
Looking at those pictures i will stick my neck out and say its already been resprayed but not prepared properly.
Paint does not peel off that easily if its applied properly.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Looking at those pictures i will stick my neck out and say its already been resprayed but not prepared properly.
Paint does not peel off that easily if its applied properly.
Yeah that's what I thought, no mention of age or what sort of van doesn't help either

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Ok...Regards the rust....Screen out, grind off rust to bare metal....repaint to seam line just above..... Thats the ONLY way to do the job right....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back