Thinking of buying an 810 elegance (1 Viewer)

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Hi all. We have an Autotrail Arapaho but are thinking we might upgrade to the 810 or 890. The price differential is considerable can anyone provide comments of how good the Bursthers are and any pitfalls with them please?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't see where the price difference is the 810 is about the same price as the AT. You can get a high speced 810 for about €99k (£76K)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 23, 2012
Kingswinford & 86230
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890
Exp
Since 2012
Bought my (new to me) 810 Elegance last May and absolutely love it. I have fitted air suspension to the rear and had the front springs uprated. It has the 3 litre motor and auto box. The beds are really comfortable, loads of space through out. Everyone should have one!

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
don't have an 810 but have an Ixeo 726G, very very pleased with it, the quality of the fittings are excellent.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Have a t680 and cannot complain ... but some funsters have the Elegance and are over the moon with it. I wish I had seen them before buying mine. I MIGHT have gone with the elegance.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We have an 890 and love it. Comfortable living on the road.
We specially like the island bed which is very comfortable.
Issues:
The chassis is very low so we frequently clatter the exhaust and ground the back end on rough ground and at the bottom of ramps eg ferries. We have even grounds the tail on a hairpin bend!
Some of the fixtures and fittings aren't very durable eg cupboard and locker door handles/locks
We had the habitation door replaced because the restraining bar came loose and trying to shut the door caused quite a bit of damage.
The alloy wheels have been replaced because of discolouring and marking underneath the gel coat (I know several Burstner owners who have had their wheels replaced)
Filling up the windscreen washer and checking the oil level is difficult because the bonnet when open is only the size of a letter box.
We had problems with the tec tower fridge not having enough airflow to cope with the temperatures in Morocco which was due to Burstner dispensing with the upper vent on the side of the van and putting a "chimney" type arrangement on the roof instead. This was cured by the dealer installing the Dometic fan cooling system behind the fridge which has improved things greatly (the beer now stays cold!) I believe on the new models they have seen sense and gone back to the original design with an upper and lower vent on the side of the van, so if you are buying new you shouldn't suffer this problem.
The gearbox on the awning originally fitted was not man enough for a 6m awning and broke after being used only a handful of times (can't remember the make, not Fiamma). It was replaced under warranty with an Omnistor awning which has proven reliable so far. If I had the choice again I would go for a smaller awning eg 4.5m because 6m is really heavy to wind in quickly and takes a LOT of tying down. If you go for the big one insist on a centre support leg and three curved rafters.
At 30 feet long it's not the easiest vehicle to manoeuvre in a tight spot. Some campsites where the access roads are narrow and the parking plots are not Very wide can be difficult to impossible to use.
We had quite a lot of snagging issues on ours but they were all fixed under warranty without argument by the dealer. We bought ours from Camper UK in Lincoln and their after sales service was very good.
Overall we have been very happy with our van. ( currently sat on the Tropic of Cancer at Dakhla in the far South of Morocco where it has been 35C this afternoon) it's too windy to even think about putting out the awning though.
E

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
On our third Bustner so clearly happy with price/quality balance.

Overall I find quality to be very good, double floor makes a big difference to storage and usability in really cold weather. Alde heating absolutely brill, Emm Bee the dealer we use are very good. The latter Elegance models (from 2014 build I think) are wood free. It's very rare to here of a Busrtner owner having water ingress, particularly on there A Class models.

A Class is a different vehicle than a coach built, and a double floor proper winterised van all cost much more to produce, but whether you need or want these features is a choice. If you do I would recommend Burstner Elegance as a great van, had an Elegance before our current Grand Panorama. Had a few issues but all resolved without any issues by dealer including new wheels, a common fault.

Look at things like the water piping, water valves (all inside double floor) waste pipe routing and size, double floor construction, and you see why this model costs more than your current vehicle.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Got a 2010 Elegance i821 bought second hand at three years old, we have had it for two years now and love it. We spend a lot of time in it. A couple of things have broke, kitchen draw handle,micro switch on tap, bad design but easy to fix. Heating is superb, plenty of space in side, we did away with the original big table, good size garage, 3ltr 25mpg, the list goes on. You will not be disappointed.

OP
OP
Delboyarapaho

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
We have an 890 and love it. Comfortable living on the road.
We specially like the island bed which is very comfortable.
Issues:
The chassis is very low so we frequently clatter the exhaust and ground the back end on rough ground and at the bottom of ramps eg ferries. We have even grounds the tail on a hairpin bend!
Some of the fixtures and fittings aren't very durable eg cupboard and locker door handles/locks
We had the habitation door replaced because the restraining bar came loose and trying to shut the door caused quite a bit of damage.
The alloy wheels have been replaced because of discolouring and marking underneath the gel coat (I know several Burstner owners who have had their wheels replaced)
Filling up the windscreen washer and checking the oil level is difficult because the bonnet when open is only the size of a letter box.
We had problems with the tec tower fridge not having enough airflow to cope with the temperatures in Morocco which was due to Burstner dispensing with the upper vent on the side of the van and putting a "chimney" type arrangement on the roof instead. This was cured by the dealer installing the Dometic fan cooling system behind the fridge which has improved things greatly (the beer now stays cold!) I believe on the new models they have seen sense and gone back to the original design with an upper and lower vent on the side of the van, so if you are buying new you shouldn't suffer this problem.
The gearbox on the awning originally fitted was not man enough for a 6m awning and broke after being used only a handful of times (can't remember the make, not Fiamma). It was replaced under warranty with an Omnistor awning which has proven reliable so far. If I had the choice again I would go for a smaller awning eg 4.5m because 6m is really heavy to wind in quickly and takes a LOT of tying down. If you go for the big one insist on a centre support leg and three curved rafters.
At 30 feet long it's not the easiest vehicle to manoeuvre in a tight spot. Some campsites where the access roads are narrow and the parking plots are not Very wide can be difficult to impossible to use.
We had quite a lot of snagging issues on ours but they were all fixed under warranty without argument by the dealer. We bought ours from Camper UK in Lincoln and their after sales service was very good.
Overall we have been very happy with our van. ( currently sat on the Tropic of Cancer at Dakhla in the far South of Morocco where it has been 35C this afternoon) it's too windy to even think about putting out the awning though.
E

Thanks for your very informative reply. We are buying second hand so stuck with the awning that is fitted (6M) but thanks for the tips I will keep an eye out when I pick it up. We noticed the top vent had been removed on some of the vans we have seen. Do you have details of the fan that has been fitted behind your fridge please? I may get the dealer to fit one, I cant stand warm beer!

Have fun on Morroco

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Thanks for your very informative reply. We are buying second hand so stuck with the awning that is fitted (6M) but thanks for the tips I will keep an eye out when I pick it up. We noticed the top vent had been removed on some of the vans we have seen. Do you have details of the fan that has been fitted behind your fridge please? I may get the dealer to fit one, I cant stand warm beer!

Have fun on Morroco
The fan is a standard Dometic accessory and was supplied FOC under warranty.
Mind you I have a better system now - a second battery bank (2 X 110AH) powered by its own solar panels (2 X 150w) so fridge runs from solar during the day. The fan never cuts in when it's running on 12v for some reason.
Re the awning, if you are going to use it on a regular basis and not crap yourself every time there's a puff of wind, make sure that
1. You get the centre leg to stop the front rail bending
2. Buy some really big rock pegs that will go into hard ground (I got some made in Morocco from rebar)
3. Invest in ratchet straps to tie the awning to the pegs.
4 get three curved rafters in case it rains.
If they don't come with the van you can get them from eBay or Rose Awnings who are at all the Motorhome shows.
The rafters in particular are not cheap, but those 6m awnings can be over 2 grand fitted!

OP
OP
Delboyarapaho

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks makems useful advice
D

Dec 21, 2010
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vline
Exp
Since 1999
We had an Elegance 821/810 then went to Niesmann Bischoff and now back to an Elegance I800. The 2016 models although looking quite good are not a patch on the 2014/15 models. Make sure you get a Surge Protector if not already fitted to go along side the Shaudt EBL power unit Peace of mind knowing that it's protected from power surges.

Yes the wheels are a problem, but can get them refurbished at £39 per wheel, so not that big a problem really. As for damp the 821 had a garage door seal problem but corrected by Camper UK under warranty. The only thing I wished they had not put a motor on the front drop down beds, although no faults at all just knocks hell out of the batteries when wilding for weeks on end.

The best awning rafters I find are the pole type with springs inside.

OP
OP
Delboyarapaho

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
We had an Elegance 821/810 then went to Niesmann Bischoff and now back to an Elegance I800. The 2016 models although looking quite good are not a patch on the 2014/15 models. Make sure you get a Surge Protector if not already fitted to go along side the Shaudt EBL power unit Peace of mind knowing that it's protected from power surges.

Yes the wheels are a problem, but can get them refurbished at £39 per wheel, so not that big a problem really. As for damp the 821 had a garage door seal problem but corrected by Camper UK under warranty. The only thing I wished they had not put a motor on the front drop down beds, although no faults at all just knocks hell out of the batteries when wilding for weeks on end.

The best awning rafters I find are the pole type with springs inside.

Hi Dill. Thanks for your reply. We pick up our 890 tomorrow! 2015 model, which we prefer to the latest version.
Can you tell me more about the surge protector? why do you feel the need for one and do you have a type in mind?
Also is the seal problem on the garage at any regular point or anywhere?

Dec 21, 2010
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vline
Exp
Since 1999
I purchased my surge protector from Camper UK. Link below.
http://camperukonline.co.uk/product...eviews_id=4&osCsid=dg7i2m3riq07ajnnj7dmqlbq01

We was once on a campsite in France we had the 821 then. The whole campsite electricity kept trippping out. I had problems with the EBL just after that, and was told that it had been spiked. The only thing I could put it down to was the tripping out. After that I fitted the S Protector and have had no problems since. Easy to fit, you just move the kettle lead from EBL and plug into S Protector, then from Protector back to EBL. The Shaudt one is now £76.00, there are cheaper on the market, but I would go for the Shaudt one if I were you.

I was once told that if the EBL gets spiked and there S Protector was fitted at the time Shaudt would replace or repair FOC. But confirm with Camper UK again.

The Water ingress in the offside rear garage door, I was told that the cause were driving rain that forced its way past the seal. The seal looked good to me but Camper UK replaced it and I never had any problems after that.

The 810 was brill never had any problems at all. Only replaced to downsize. I am hoping the 800 is as good. The Comfortmatic gearbox is by far better than Manual.

Finally make sure your insurance as not got a cost limit on the windscreen, the windscreens are not cheap at £2600 plus both of the colour coded side trims will need replacing too. I'm with Safeguard no limit at all. Any more info just give me a shout.

I have taken the table out off them all too, obviously put back in when sold. It's amazing how much more room you get. Bought a cheap table and stored in the drop down bed.

Keith

Last edited:
OP
OP
Delboyarapaho

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Yes I think I must but Elegance sounds a little less macho so will have to think about it :)

OP
OP
Delboyarapaho

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Well we have just returned from our first European road trip in the van. FANTASTIC! vehicle performed really well 29.3 MPG average and we were so comfortable it was unbelievable. I have made one or two minor mods to the vehicle since taking delivery; Boarded up the underside of the bed to prevent/make very difficult entry to the bedroom through garage and added two D locks to the garage doors. Inside I have removed the doors that close off the bedroom. there are only the two of us and the bathroom door provides a great bedroom anyway so we value the additional space more then the doors we will never use. Leaving the bathroom door open all night avoided need to close front screens, which have to be the biggest pain to keep opening and closing! Removed the bin and used the cupboard for storage. The most comfort and satisfaction was from the very comfortable lounge. So relaxing when you need to be inside to just recline in the passenger seat and watch Tv, perfectly positioned, with the Mrs relaxing on the side seat. leaving plenty of room for guests to occupy the L shape seats. Plenty of storage, which was a worry after the Arapaho, where we were spoilt. And the bed with a duvelay (to be sure) was so comfortable.

In short we are so happy with our vehicle and are really glad we made the change.

Jun 28, 2016
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 680G
Exp
We have a Thule Safari Room for the 810 for sale brand new in the bag never used. We have just downsized our MH to an Ixeo. Info on eBay - bob 07885 789231.

I have tried to list it on classified but it won't let me for some reason.

Sharon1963

Free Member
Feb 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner elegance
Bought my (new to me) 810 Elegance last May and absolutely love it. I have fitted air suspension to the rear and had the front springs uprated. It has the 3 litre motor and auto box. The beds are really comfortable, loads of space through out. Everyone should have one!
Hi can you help and advise were the dip stick is in a i810g 2013 burstner elegance.
My email is sharontiara55@yahoo.co.uk

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Your the dipstick ? Lol.

This is a six year old thread so the people who posted may not be around now.
I think It'd be worth removing your email address from a public forum.

w2f

The engine dipstick should on the engine, usually with a yellow handle, if you state which engine you have I'm sure someone will be able to help with your question

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back