In or Out have your say by (real) voting (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
Many UK nationals living abroad will be able to take part in the forthcoming referendum on the UK’s membership of the European Union
The vote is due to take place by 31 December 2017 and, although the exact date is not yet known, you can already register to vote.
To register as an overseas elector you must have been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years. You will need to know your National Insurance number and date of birth, and have your passport to hand if you have one. If you don’t have a National Insurance number you can still register, but you may have to supply more information to show who you are.
If you were too young when you left the UK to have been registered, then you can register as an overseas voter if your parents (or guardians) were registered in the UK in the last 15 years
Register online to vote at https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote - it takes less than five minutes.
The sooner you get registered to vote, the more time you will have to arrange for a method of absent voting.
You can vote in one of three ways: •By post •By proxy (you designate someone you trust to vote on your behalf in the UK) •In person at a polling station in your constituency
It should be easier to vote by post for this referendum than for previous elections as the timetable for postal votes has been extended to allow postal votes to be sent out even earlier than usual, giving you more time to receive, complete, and return your ballot pack to the UK.

I will be voting with the OUT campaign !

Terry

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Unless you just don't like the EU, I don't know how people can decide which way to vote until the facts are known, and so far they haven't surfaced but perhaps with the latest move by the PM enough facts will come forward to enable us to decide.
Of course the press will be upset when this is all over what on earth will they find to write about?
So ha5-3D I agree with you.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I too will keep my powder dry till I hear both sides of the debate!

At the moment, I am of the opinion that should "Call Me Dave," get a deal that returns most of our powers back to Westminster, then I will vote to stay in!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I too will keep my powder dry till I hear both sides of the debate!

At the moment, I am of the opinion that should "Call Me Dave," get a deal that returns most of our powers back to Westminster, then I will vote to stay in!
youll be voting out then as what call me dave has come back with is a joke and from what i understand is subject to ratification no doubt after the referendum

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
youll be voting out then as what call me dave has come back with is a joke and from what i understand is subject to ratification no doubt after the referendum
That's how I see things too Steve. :( It's embarrassing and will make us look like the laughing stock of the EU............if we are not already regarded as such. :mad:

Cheers,

Jock.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
It would be really nice to get all the details as we don't really know what is on the table,I agree with previous posters we need our powers back or I'll be out.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
What specifically does each of us mean by 'our powers to be returned'?? because I'm confused by what it means!!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As Moulin says above, what exactly are these powers to be returned? I cannot for the life of me see any life changing things in the past or the future.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
What powers are you are you all so concerned about exactly?lol

We don't even have a constitution for heavens sake:D

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
What powers are you are you all so concerned about exactly?lol

We don't even have a constitution for heavens sake:D

We have never really needed a constitution as such, but if you want something to hang your hat on, the Magna Carta is the nearest we have!
Powers?
The powers of our own Supreme Court can be overridden by the ECHR!
We can't decide who gets what benefits, without referring to EU legislation!
We cannot decide who does and who does not enter the country, without referring to EU legislation!
There are more
If you don't know what powers we have handed over to the EU then I suggest you search it!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I want the 10 billion we give to Europe back.
I want trade deals that work for us with commonwealth countries and any other country.
I want to determine our own farming and fishing quotas.
I don't mind a common market

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We have never really needed a constitution as such, but if you want something to hang your hat on, the Magna Carta is the nearest we have!
Powers?
The powers of our own Supreme Court can be overridden by the ECHR!
We can't decide who gets what benefits, without referring to EU legislation!
We cannot decide who does and who does not enter the country, without referring to EU legislation!
There are more
If you don't know what powers we have handed over to the EU then I suggest you search it!

We are the only country in Europe to give benefits without paying into the system by working first!...working? what a novel concept that it to some in this country. We are our own worse enemy....

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
What specifically does each of us mean by 'our powers to be returned'?? because I'm confused by what it means!!

How about telling the ECHR to stick their judgements up their ar$e?

I want our split houses of Parliament with their built in checks and balances to be the ultimate source of law and therefore the law lords to be the highest point of appeal regarding law in this country

Where I get a little lot is how that works in Scotland and NI already so u can see the requirements may not be the same throughout the isles

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
We are the only country in Europe to give benefits without paying into the system by working first!...working? what a novel concept that it to some in this country. We are our own worse enemy....

I'm not going to argue with you about that, even though I don't think you are correct!
However assuming you are, then we must provide the same benefits to anyone from the EU who chooses to come and live in our country, as that is EU law!
You cannot go to some countries in the EU, expecting to get similar benefits, because they don't have a comprehensive benefit system like us! So if they don't give it to their own citizens, they don't have to give it to anyone, else!
The power to decide for ourselves wether we give benefits to economic migrants or not should be in our hands not the EU!

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I'm not going to argue with you about that, even though I don't think you are correct!
However assuming you are, then we must provide the same benefits to anyone from the EU who chooses to come and live in our country, as that is EU law!
You cannot go to some countries in the EU, expecting to get similar benefits, because they don't have a comprehensive benefit system like us! So if they don't give it to their own citizens, they don't have to give it to anyone, else!
The power to decide for ourselves wether we give benefits to economic migrants or not should be in our hands not the EU!

The fact is that we pay some in and out of work benefits regardless of work history. That is unusual in my experience in Europe but it is a founding principle of our welfare state. If we stay in Europe the eventual result even with this deal is that people from other parts of Europe can come here looking for work and be paid benefits from day 1.. Unless we reform our welfare state.. so is Europe the bad guy? ( genuine ponder point for me and the reason benefits is not my reason for choosing stay of leave)

My issue is that a UK government can make a law and work to enforce that law only to have it overturned by an agency outside of the UK that (as far as I can see) the people in the UK get no say in..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
But that is discriminatory... if you think like that best vote out. Author of to kill a mockingbird died yesterday...personally find you statement unchristian and shameful to be honest.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Nothing to do with the EU though is it? :)

I thought it was created by some European convention or other and then adopted by all the member states?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I thought it was created by some European convention or other and then adopted by all the member states?
All taken from Wikipedia:
The European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) (formally the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms) is an international treaty to protect human rights and fundamental freedoms in Europe. Drafted in 1950 by the then newly formed Council of Europe,[1] the convention entered into force on 3 September 1953. All Council of Europe member states are party to the Convention and new members are expected to ratify the convention at the earliest opportunity.

The European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR; French: Cour européenne des droits de l’homme) is a supranational or international court established by the European Convention on Human Rights. It hears applications alleging that a contracting state has breached one or more of the human rights provisions concerning civil and political rights set out in the Convention and its protocols. An application can be lodged by an individual, a group of individuals or one or more of the other contracting states, and, besides judgments, the Court can also issue advisory opinions. The Convention was adopted within the context of the Council of Europe, and all of its 47 member states are contracting parties to the Convention. The Court is based in Strasbourg, France.

The Council of Europe (CoE; French: Conseil de l'Europe), founded in 1949, is a regional intergovernmental organisation whose stated goal is to promote human rights, democracy, and the rule of law in its 47 member states, covering 820 million citizens. The organisation is separate from the 28-nation European Union, though sometimes confused with it, in part because they share the European flag. Unlike the European Union, the Council of Europe cannot make binding laws. The best known body of the Council of Europe is the European Court of Human Rights, which enforces the European Convention on Human Rights. The Council of Europe's work has resulted in standards, charters and conventions to facilitate cooperation between European countries as an advisory body.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
So surely if we pull out of the EU we can also no longer be a contracting party?

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
But that is discriminatory... if you think like that best vote out. Author of to kill a mockingbird died yesterday...personally find you statement unchristian and shameful to be honest.

Unchristian?
You are joking aren't you?
I have no truck with any EU citizen, that wants to come to the UK and work to better themselves! Those who come just for the benefits they can claim are not welcome, well certainly not by me!
Why is it discriminatory? No one twisted their arms to come to the UK!
If they have not worked and contributed then they can sod off back from whence they came!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So surely if we pull out of the EU we can also no longer be a contracting party?
No. The Council of Europe "is separate from the 28-nation European Union, though sometimes confused with it".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back