Condensation in Luton Overcab (1 Viewer)

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all

The last two weekends we've been away have been pretty cold - into the minus figures. We've been very snug and cosy in the mh but have had some condensation in the luton overcab bed. Most of the ceiling and wall in the Luton is covered in some sort of soft wall fabric but a strip above the head and feet is just plastic without the soft covering. It is very cold to the touch and the heat from the van and us breathing must cause some condensation here which is then running down onto the mattress.

Is there anything we can do to minimise this? It doesn't seem to be a massive amount but I would prefer the mattress or bedding not to be getting damp if possible.

Please don't suggest opening the window even a crack though - I'm one of those people who only has to look at a draught and I get a stiff neck! Other suggestions gratefully received though!

Thanks

Rosemaryd

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
You could try a 'moisture trap' they seem to work quite well.

I assume this is when the heating is running on gas, not electric?

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi all

The last two weekends we've been away have been pretty cold - into the minus figures. We've been very snug and cosy in the mh but have had some condensation in the luton overcab bed. Most of the ceiling and wall in the Luton is covered in some sort of soft wall fabric but a strip above the head and feet is just plastic without the soft covering. It is very cold to the touch and the heat from the van and us breathing must cause some condensation here which is then running down onto the mattress.

Is there anything we can do to minimise this? It doesn't seem to be a massive amount but I would prefer the mattress or bedding not to be getting damp if possible.

Please don't suggest opening the window even a crack though - I'm one of those people who only has to look at a draught and I get a stiff neck! Other suggestions gratefully received though!

Thanks

Rosemaryd

Sandra (@irnbru ) had a similar issue with her Autotrail Apache. There's a thread on here somewhere (sorry, can't find). Maybe she can let you know what was done to remedy?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rosemaryd

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Sandra (@irnbru ) had a similar issue with her Autotrail Apache. There's a thread on here somewhere (sorry, can't find). Maybe she can let you know what was done to remedy?
Thanks. Ours is an Autotrail Apache too so I'll see if I can find out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rosemaryd

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for your replies everyone, sorry, been offline for a while!

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think you really know the answer to your own question, insulation will help send the problem some where else though.

Martin

Last edited:
Upvote 0

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We had same problem in our first Burstner 10 years ago. We found best way to stop condensation on any roof or wall strips or areas is go to local carpet shop and get the thinnest carpet you can get this used to be used by car builders like me as head lining. You just cut to shape size and fix with spray glue. Did wonders for our vans and kit cars. The old style carpet shops are the best not carpet right

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
insulation will help send the problem some where else though.

Martin
Hi Martin

Why would that be?
Surely if condensation was forming on the walls in one area because of lack of insulation in that one spot, why would the same condensation form elsewhere if the insulation in that other area was adequate?

Or do you think the problem is damp?

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin

Why would that be?
Surely if condensation was forming on the walls in one area because of lack of insulation in that one spot, why would the same condensation form elsewhere if the insulation in that other area was adequate?

Or do you think the problem is damp?

I was just suggesting that without ventilation the warm and moisture laden air will just find the next coldest spot to drop on.

Without ventilation it has to go somewhere and could ultimately lead to damp and mouldy patches.

Martin

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back