Tesco to re-design the croissant (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Tesco are only going to sell straight croissants because, they say, their customers find it easier to spread jam on them.

No, it's not 1st of April yet, it was on News at Ten tonight.

Richard.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
And this on the same day there were stories about selling cucumbers which weren't straight! It's a mad world! :)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Tesco also tried to convert the A38 at Trerulefoot...
That didn't go too well either

12706784-large.jpg
:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
When I lived in a small village it had a rather good bakers shop. On one occasion the proprietor, Derek, decided to offer croissants and to advertise the fact he created a large poster for the wall behind counter. Across the poster in large letters were the words " Voila - Croissants!". My wife visited the bakers shortly after the croissants became available only to find Derek laughing helplessly. She asked him what had happened and he said one of the locals had just asked him if he could "Try some of them Voylas". I swear it's true.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
When I lived in a small village it had a rather good bakers shop. On one occasion the proprietor, Derek, decided to offer croissants and to advertise the fact he created a large poster for the wall behind counter. Across the poster in large letters were the words " Voila - Croissants!". My wife visited the bakers shortly after the croissants became available only to find Derek laughing helplessly. She asked him what had happened and he said one of the locals had just asked him if he could "Try some of them Voylas". I swear it's true.
So a Baker in a small village shop thought that one of his customers was hilarious because they didn't have any grasp of French and did not know what a Croissant was?
Wow! Is he still in business?

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Well, the name means crescent, so one would assume it was crescent shaped! If was straight, I guess it should be called a 'tout droit'

I would imagine that the French will get a law passed in the European Parliament that will sate that you may not call it a Croissant if it's not Crescent shaped!
I thought this sort of silliness was one of the reasons that so many Brits want out of the EU!
Oh, the Irony!!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Square croissants are probably preferred for packaging reasons more than anything else. Whatever the shape, it's still a tasty lump of fat, salt and flour :)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Your right we said more likely to do with money, can get X number more straight ones on a baking tray or in a box to sell.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You can make square cucumbers if you grow them in a tube.

And of course anyone exhibiting runner beans will know they have to straighten them with a damp tea towel!

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
It's all about education, the natural sweep of the knife causes an arc so following the shape, perhaps the customers have the ends pointing away, to assist those that are struggling to understand this culinary problem, I have enclosed some helpful diagrams

backwerk-croissant_tb.jpg
right.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Is that why Cornish pasties have a curved edge? :)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The French made our bread round so why shouldn't we make their croissants straight.
I am pretty sure English bread was always round. It was the rich English that demanded squarer bread so they ( or their staff) cut cut it into slices.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Tesco are also launching a new range of croissants to appeal to the younger consumer:

Wireless-Bluetooth-Game-Controller-G910-plus-Gamepad-Joystick-for-Android-iOS-Cell-Phone-Tablet-PC-Mini.jpg

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I am pretty sure English bread was always round. It was the rich English that demanded squarer bread so they ( or their staff) cut cut it into slices.
My comment was a tad tongue in cheek Allanm but we must admit the french have made their own stick different from our home grown sliced variety.;)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Hardly a redesign, French boulangeries have been selling straight and curved croissants for years.
But, I don't think the Tesco croissants are very nice, probably why people are disguising the taste with butter and jam!
Croissants are for dunking into your morning coffee!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Reminds me of my ex wife's mother in McDonalds.

When asked what she wanted she apparently replied:

"I will try one of their free wifi's.":D

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
In all seriousness though this change of shape is long overdue.

Hopefully the French will see the error of their ways as well.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hardly a redesign, French boulangeries have been selling straight and curved croissants for years.
But, I don't think the Tesco croissants are very nice, probably why people are disguising the taste with butter and jam!
Croissants are for dunking into your morning coffee!
Croissants and hot chocolate!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back