Ellesmere (1 Viewer)

tarmacsurfer2000

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
Off to Ellesmere this weekend. The last trip out in the van before the biggy in Scotland for the Honeymoon in the 'passion wagon'! :winky:::bigsmile:

Anyone ever been? We are staying at Newnes Caravan site about 1 mile east of Ellesmere? Planned on wlaking into the village and visiting the Mere by walking along the canal...anything else worth looking at attending? It is more than likely to be me and the dogs (leaving the soon to be Mrs) so dog friendly is always good :thumb::thumb:

Cheers guys and gals

OP
OP
tarmacsurfer2000

tarmacsurfer2000

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
I think so. Saw it on a history program. Was it Lord Leverhulme ? I think he got lost but being a Lord had to make a big thing of discovering the place.

arrhhh sorry HillDweller...I mean Ellesmere, Shropshire not the port.

BTW I notice you are in South Manc...anywhere near my home town of Stockport?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Off to Ellesmere ...................We are staying at Newnes Caravan.

Would you post a quick review when you've been please mate?:thumb:
I've seen ads for this place a couple of times and it's one of those......"we must go there sometime".

Cheers.::bigsmile:

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Don't know about the site, but Ellesmere is a bit bigger than a village. Ellesmere Port was son named as it was at the end of the cut from Ellesmere.

The Mere's themselves are pretty and there's just been a whole load of work put in to improving the facilities in the visitor centre and the Boathouse Restaurant.

Whilst there's not a load of sites to see in the town itself, it's a good base for having a look around the area - Shrewsbury in particular.

Anyway, there's a bit of info Link Removed.

Have a good weekend!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Yes, 10 miles away. Grew up a bit in Stockport, I had relatives in Reddish, I can just remember the sound of trams in Stockport. And trolley buses in Manchester, now, 50 years on Manchester has trams which a big success and electric buses are set for big return.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Off to Ellesmere this weekend. The last trip out in the van before the biggy in Scotland for the Honeymoon in the 'passion wagon'! :winky:::bigsmile:

Anyone ever been? We are staying at Newnes Caravan site about 1 mile east of Ellesmere? Planned on wlaking into the village and visiting the Mere by walking along the canal...anything else worth looking at attending? It is more than likely to be me and the dogs (leaving the soon to be Mrs) so dog friendly is always good :thumb::thumb:

Cheers guys and gals

Hi
You have a new PM.
Jim
:Smile:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
arrhhh sorry HillDweller...I mean Ellesmere, Shropshire not the port.

There IS a connection Ellesmere Port was built at the end of the canal to connect with the Mersey to ship the products of Ellesmere Shropshire to the World,hence the name Ellesmers Port.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
The Newnes is fairly new, only in it's second season. It's adults only.

Ellesmere is a lovely little town. If you follow the canal it brings you into the town centre near to the new Tesco which opened last week, and then on to a large marina where there's lots of canal boats and a chandlers.

As someone said, they've spent the last year re-doing the foreshore of the Mere, and you can walk the dogs through Cremorne gardens along the edge of it.

OP
OP
tarmacsurfer2000

tarmacsurfer2000

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
Hi all and thanks for the posts! Got back yesterday and this is my first chance to post a reply...

As Caztur stated the site is clearly new and as such they are missing a few things you may well normally expect. There are no toilets or showers but Robin, the owner, said he was working on that situation. There is however, the recent addition of waste bins (including various bins for recyclable stuff) and a chemical waste point. The position of the site meant that when on your pitch you face either NW or SW. We faced NW and had the lovely views of the Welsh hills in the distance. Our pitch was almost flat but some looked a little on the slightly off horizontal side?!? It was quiet and secluded with excellent hook up points with their own night light (great feature for me :thumb:) and water inbetween pitches which were easy reach for my 15m hose. There are 10 proper pitches and whilst were there people were being turned away as the site was full, however it did appear to be over booked as there were 11 caravans and our motorhome there but Robin sorted a hook up for the extra 2 so they did seem to be taken care of.

If you like walking then you are fine, if however, you like to be as close to possible to the nearest town/village then the 1 mile walk to Ellesmere may put you off. For us it was fine and after the advise of Robin we used the footpath which runs from one corner of the site, through a gate, over a stile and round the outside of the field down the main road the A495. You can then walk along the verge (the grass was high while we were there and it was a little uneven under foot) and then onto footpaths along the road and into town or to the Mere itself which is very picturesque. Or you can cross over the A495 when you get to it from the field, and then down a farm track (please note: cows in the field and not fenced in...) then onto a designated footpath and hop onto the canal and walk to the Wharf were the new Tesco is, or go a bit further east and get to the Marina which is pretty big. The wharf is closer to the centre of town but you can still access the town from the Marina very easily. The Mere has a very nice walk around the perimeter but you cannot walk all the way around it a full circle...shame...If you have kids there is a great play area and there are pleny of places to have a picnic or sit and look out onto the mere.

Ellesmere itself is your fairly typical town with all the usual fair and in my opinion nothing really special with the exception of the home owners and their gardens...wow I have never seen so many people out in their gardens tending to them! They were immaculate! and everyone said good morning/afternoon to us and one old boy even waved to us as we walked by with the dogs! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

In all I would go there again but only if the toilet and shower issue has been resolved. Nice, if slightly uninteresting town, and great walks along the canal...

All the best
tarmacsurfer :winky:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Glad you enjoyed the weekend, sorry didn't realise The Newnes hadn't got their toilets and showers sorted yet.

I wouldn't say that Ellesmere is uninteresting, though. Lots of interesting old buildings, the Mere and Cremorne Gardens, the canal with it's wharf and marina, some lovely old pubs, - it's got more going for it than a lot of small towns. It doesn't claim to be a great shopping centre, but there are some very interesting shops that are a bit different from most towns' high street chain stores.

OP
OP
tarmacsurfer2000

tarmacsurfer2000

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
Glad you enjoyed the weekend, sorry didn't realise The Newnes hadn't got their toilets and showers sorted yet.

I wouldn't say that Ellesmere is uninteresting, though. Lots of interesting old buildings, the Mere and Cremorne Gardens, the canal with it's wharf and marina, some lovely old pubs, - it's got more going for it than a lot of small towns. It doesn't claim to be a great shopping centre, but there are some very interesting shops that are a bit different from most towns' high street chain stores.

fair comment...I just meant Ellesmere itself. I agree the Mere is great though ::bigsmile:.

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Just a quick post if anyone is travelling to this area consider Rosedale Park Caravan Site LL130NB 01978 710315 Mr & Mrs J Richardson this is 4 miles north of Ellesmere on A539 it was a CL of the year winner in 1994-5 now commercial for about 18-20 units good facilities RV able but check ahead gets busy over w/e and bank hols .---must book for both. Good price £10-11 . Ps i am not the owner Alan

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Just a quick post if anyone is travelling to this area consider Rosedale Park Caravan Site LL130NB 01978 710315 Mr & Mrs J Richardson this is 4 miles north of Ellesmere on A539 it was a CL of the year winner in 1994-5 now commercial for about 18-20 units good facilities RV able but check ahead gets busy over w/e and bank hols .---must book for both. Good price £10-11 . Ps i am not the owner Alan

Hi
Have a look here Reviews of Rosedale Caravan & Camping Park. at the review written by C Marshall. Am I looking at the same site

Jim
:Smile:

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
I DON'T know where Mr Marshall stayed but his review does not strike any chords with me . The site is always clean you cannot always vouch for some messy inconsiderate campers. I have the leaflet in front of me no charge for dogs etc etc max possible cost for 2 people is £12 which is for twin-axle caravans with a full awning

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
A last post reading the other comments in the link regarding reviews of Rosedale i think there has been some confusion. There is a site in Yorks. with the same name i assume that is the reason for some silly comments Alan

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I didnt see the Yorkshire bit, sorry:Blush:

Jim
:Doh:

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Just wrote a review for Rosedale Park in the article ----it appears or will appear under Wrexham i,m sure some of the other reviews in the Yorks. site were similarly confused--happens to me all the time Alan:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back