Ains-campers

Free Member
Nov 2, 2015
Lancaster UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr
Exp
bought our first ever motorhome in January 2016, what a dream she's fab!
Hi guys, it seems we need a new leisure battery in prep for the Peterbourgh show. I've looked on here and read about batteries etc but it's still well over my head and I haven't got a clue! I've seen some on Amazon one stands out due to its reviews Numax leisure battery 12v, 100ah, 1000CCA, it's advertised at £70. Is this a good price or make? Should I stay away from Amazon and buy from a specific retailer and it still confused what this 100ah/ numbers code thing means. Any advice welcome

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Tayna batteries, online all the makes, Very professional and extremely competetive

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ains-campers

Ains-campers

Free Member
Nov 2, 2015
Lancaster UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr
Exp
Thanks for the link it seems like 'banner' is a popular brand and the bigger 'ah' is better and the link certainly helped cheers

OP
OP
Ains-campers

Ains-campers

Free Member
Nov 2, 2015
Lancaster UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr
Exp
Just had a look on the megastore thanks for the recommendation, great choices and prices

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
I was told by someone who is supposed to know about these things that the construction of the battery, irrespective of the manufacturer, should be compatible with the type of on board charger you have fitted to your van.

The Tincas

OP
OP
Ains-campers

Ains-campers

Free Member
Nov 2, 2015
Lancaster UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr
Exp
I see that would make sense. This is well over my head, more research it is and more checks to our van.

Cheers

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Ains-camper

The 100ah is the capacity of the battery, so it should give you 100 amps for one hour or 1 amp for 100 hours, I say should as for a start you should not discharge lower than 50% which would be about 12.2 volts with no load on the battery, so straight away your 100ah battery is only really 50ah useable.

The other figure of 1000cca is saying it will give 1000 amps for a very short burst to start an engine, engine batteries tend to have lots of thinner plates to give this burst of power where what we want is less but thicker and heavier plates to give a reliable steady drain of power.

For a starting point I would look for the heaviest battery at a given capacity as this is a pretty good indication of its quality. As The Tincas says you need to make sure that your new battery and your charging system are compatible so if you are looking at a battery that says its Gel or AGM or flooded lead acid, make sure that your chargers both mains and solar have a setting for the battery type of favour.

Then comes price I am sure you can get a 100ah battery for £70 or you could pay closer to £200 so you have to make your own decision as to whether the more expensive batteries are a benefit to you.

Of course the most important thing is make sure that whatever battery you buy it will fit in the available space in your van.

Martin

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Thanks for the link it seems like 'banner' is a popular brand and the bigger 'ah' is better and the link certainly helped cheers
Do a search for 'Banner batteries' they are popular but opinion is divided as to whether they're good...

My preference is Varta, have previously bought from Tanya and Battery megastore, both being good to deal with.

On the high street, gooutdoors are usually competitive on standard leisure batteries (y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
my vote would be for trojans but do check the dimensions as they are not standard sizes and they weigh a lot

OP
OP
Ains-campers

Ains-campers

Free Member
Nov 2, 2015
Lancaster UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr
Exp
Wow thanks guys a massive help. I didn't even know about of think about how it's charged. We've only had the van a month so it's all completely new and a mine field. Our current battery only lasts around 15mins and it had been charged via mains whilst parked up on site and I assume driving also charges it?? hence why I'm thinking its pooped and we need a new one. Next on the agenda is to find where it is, size it and find out which charging system is used. A real big help thank you!

Mar 5, 2016
Trefin/Porthgain
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Having read all this I am going back to photonic universe for two of their gel batteries as my batteries are beneath the drivers seat. Had originally gone for two 90 amp gel batteries with Dethleffs but they fitted AGM batteries which died within weeks although we did not realise as at the time we where mainly on hook up. It transpires that the Shaudt EBL101 that is under the passenger seat does not support AGM batteries only Gel or Acid. Very disappointed with Dethleffs for this schoolboy error Orr skimping on battery cost!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Having read all this I am going back to photonic universe for two of their gel batteries as my batteries are beneath the drivers seat. Had originally gone for two 90 amp gel batteries with Dethleffs but they fitted AGM batteries which died within weeks although we did not realise as at the time we where mainly on hook up. It transpires that the Shaudt EBL101 that is under the passenger seat does not support AGM batteries only Gel or Acid. Very disappointed with Dethleffs for this schoolboy error Orr skimping on battery cost!
Most of the Hymer group have been fitting AGM's for a few years and only been fitting a suitable charger for a few months. Just replaced my AGM's with Gel's.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Hi guys, it seems we need a new leisure battery in prep for the Peterbourgh show. I've looked on here and read about batteries etc but it's still well over my head and I haven't got a clue! I've seen some on Amazon one stands out due to its reviews Numax leisure battery 12v, 100ah, 1000CCA, it's advertised at £70. Is this a good price or make? Should I stay away from Amazon and buy from a specific retailer and it still confused what this 100ah/ numbers code thing means. Any advice welcome

Be aware that not all MH's alternators charge the leisure battery whilst driving - our 2010 Autoquest 145's doesn't - soon to be rectified :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back