Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A proposed meeting here:

Link Removed

We have visited once. A delightful small site, mainly statics, so advanced booking for a group would be needed. We would all book individually around a common date.

May is a good time temperature wise and good prices, we got ACSI rates last year.

We would want a few days then move on to Malchesini, allegedly the prettiest town on Garda and not far away.

Autoroute says Peschiera is 750 miles from Calais. We normally stop twice. Around Metz ( just an aire ) and Luczern ( excellent camp by the lake, worth a trip in it's own right ).

I'll suggest a the route we used last time, if we meet on route good, if not does not matter.

OR a bit shorter - we meet Lake Maggiore and we'll move on to Garda later. Maggiore is totally delightful but we've done it four or five times now.

Any comments ?

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
Can't make the trip Brian, but just thought I'd drop by to say those are cracking pics! :thumb:

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can't make the trip Brian, but just thought I'd drop by to say those are cracking pics! :thumb:

Paul

Thank you, just an odd collection I've thrown on as I've been chatting. One day, ha, I'll organise them.

I love looking back at them, we've had some cracking times around Europe, the few Moroccan ones was a day trip to Tangier booked in Gibraltar.

But Garda, compare it to Windermere. There a few posh houses for the rich and a speed limit so as not to disturb them. Garda, a living thriving community, beautiful towns and boats that travel as an Italian boat should. F A S T.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian,
Sounds interesting, please send us more details.
Lucille

There aren't any more details !!

OK I propose we meet at Camping Butterfly on Wed 12th of May 2010.

Possible route from Calais.

Stop 1 Metz 289 miles
site unkown.
Stop 2 Luzern 289 + 245 = 534. Worth two or three nights.
Link Removed
Stop 3 Pechiera 534 + 230 = 764
Link Removed

From here it's easy to get to the many Venice campsites. Or turn north and do more of Garda then Austria and back through Germany. Turn south and Florence and Rome is not far.

Personally I think anything under 300 miles is fine in one day when just en-route but if anyone wants less, no problem, set off earlier.

A good meet to would be Luzern then one 230 mile run to Garda together. Luzern would be reasonable for a run starting St Malo.

Come on, keep talking, we might make this a goer.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If it all goes quiet I'll give it a nudge in the new year.

But this is a legitimate nudge, inspired by ralph-dot who not only takes excellent pictures, more important he takes the trouble to put meaningful comments on them, I've done a Garda album.

Link Removed

Enjoy.

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
If it all goes quiet I'll give it a nudge in the new year.
howzabout putting it in the calendar too Brian?

Shan't know 'til nearer the time but it's somewhere I've always fancied going so that's a definite 'maybe' :winky: ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
howzabout putting it in the calendar too Brian?

Shan't know 'til nearer the time but it's somewhere I've always fancied going so that's a definite 'maybe' :winky: ::bigsmile:

I didn't know we had one !!

This only came about because of The Braunston Survey to show it's near impossible to get folk motivated as a group long distance. I may be proved wrong. I'll locate the calender and I will bring this thread back to life once we've survived the New Years meet near Nantwich.

onthebeach

Formerly 'Leggo'
Jul 19, 2009
Southern Spain
Funster No
Exp
5 yrs
Hi Brian,

Sounds and looks great, would like to add our names to the list.

We would be coming from Southern Spain, so would meet you there.

Leggo:thumb:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We would be coming from Southern Spain, so would meet you there.

A long complex route but you get to see most of the top ( as in expensive ) resorts of Europe. Mr Autoroute says Murcia to Garda is 1050 miles, about the same as Manchester to Garda. I recall someone doing Spain/Italy by boat, expensive though.

We've done it the other way a peeled off up Route Napoleon back home. Could hardly see the hills, so more unfinished business along that route.

At the moment I'm thinking of booking a full week in Butterfly and for a change use the good Italian train service. We did Rome by staying on the coast and getting the train, it was cheap and regular. So Venice, Verona, Padua are all easy day trips where a MH would be very inconvenient. More research needed.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So Venice, Verona, Padua are all easy day trips where a MH would be very inconvenient. More research needed.

A bit more research done......

Peschiera del Garda to Venice. 09:01 takes 1:48 and costs €7.90 one way.
Returning at 17:05 costs the same.

Try getting a train over here at those prices.

onthebeach

Formerly 'Leggo'
Jul 19, 2009
Southern Spain
Funster No
Exp
5 yrs
Lake Garda

Hi Brian

Been looking at the old tomtom and it has worked out from where we live it will take 1441 miles give or take a few. (Not to mention the parts where we go wrong).:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A week sound just about right, glad to hear about the train service and for a good price. We will be doing the south of france on our slow way back, as we have not been there yet.

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
stayed there last year 3 nights

we stayed there last year but did not see alot so sounds good to me thats if the wife is OK.

john

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
we stayed there last year but did not see alot so sounds good to me thats if the wife is OK.
john

I hope she's not poorly. Or did you just mean she got to give her approval :Smile:

As I said it was a stopover and I made a big mistake, we didn't take our bikes, stupid mistake especially at Peschiera because it's dead flat and there is much more fun to be had at 10mph than 3. I'd got pictures of the Venice site which showed bikes for hire but I never thought of the other places, prat ! And it got worse, the hire cost at the campsite was extortionate.

Luzern is pretty flat and would suit bikes.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
how long are you thinking of altogether

I don't know. Last time we gave up because the weather was really horrendous. But if the weather is good, then we won't be in a hurry.

I think a week in Peschiera is worth booking, if nothing else it will stop me getting impatient and doing a runner.

Anything else -- well this is an open forum -- toss some ideas into the pot.

For those who haven't seen Maggiore here is a good site:

Verbania and the Borromeo Islands

Isola Madre is a must and so are the gardens at

Link Removed

As I have said, the roads need extra car if going north from Stresa.

So much to see. But also so expensive in diesel. I had thought of "doing" Etna but that significantly increases cost and runs the risk of turning "holiday" into "work".

OK folks - we're sat in Peschiera, bottle or two of local wine, it's warm in the evening sunshine and we have a map open, where do we head next !!

Florence/Pisa/Monaco/Nice/Napoleon/Grenoble ???

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
It could well be a go,er for us
SIMBO always wanted to go to sunny Italy
Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It could well be a go,er for us
SIMBO always wanted to go to sunny Italy
Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

You are number 7 so far. You are all logged as contacts and I'll bring this up again in January when it's probably best for booking since Butterfly is a small(ish) site for touring pitches. We turned up on spec last year and were lucky to get a pitch. If Butterfly is booked up, no problem the town is one mass of camping sites, some the size of a Butlins.

Any seriously interested order the ACSI discount book for 2010 because Butterfly did honour the discount system last May. In fact they specifically asked if we had the card !!

Link Removed

After ordering ACSI keep sacrificing the chickens to the Sun God.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Brian

We are also interested in this trip:thumb: please put as down as #8.:winky:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian

We are also interested in this trip:thumb: please put as down as #8.:winky:

Certainly will.

This is getting me excited now, but we have had so many happy memories in Italy and the boost to the system seeing the Alps on the way just starts the whole experience off right.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Another way into Italy....

If you don't want to pay Swiss tolls, you can pay the French even more and go through the Mont Blanc Tunnel. Mind you it is worth it if the weather is good in Chamonix. It's a grand tourist trap and the views from the Aiguile du Midi are just about unbeatable.

Link Removed

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
We are definitely interested but a bit worried as we don't have our new motorhome yet. Hope to buy in the next few weeks,however.
Could you put our names down?
We have never driven in the Alps or this route. As very inexperienced Alp crossers, can you tell us about the route-hairpin bends ,snow?
Thanks for help.
Lucille

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have never driven in the Alps or this route. As very inexperienced Alp crossers, can you tell us about the route-hairpin bends ,snow?
Thanks for help.
Lucille

You are already down.

Snow - funny you should say that, a few years ago on the bike we went for the St Gotthard pass on the bike, in May, to find the road blocked with snow, so we illegally bent back on on the motorway.

I wouldn't suggest anyone takes the high passes, lovely though they are they do mean a lot of wiggles. Just buy the Vignette, about £20 or so, and they Swiss will lay on beautiful holes through the mountains. I do not anticipate snow on the motoways and anyway it would be cleared with Swiss efficiency.

I would not rule some hairpins but coaches and wagons manage so you will.

Every time I go up the M6 and see "SHAP highest point on motorway" I remember that in my lifetime going north up Shap was A_Big_Deal with lots of shoving and digging, now it's just a sign. Same in the Alps, sometimes if you keep your eyes open you see the old roads and by god you would not want to be on them. You see the same round the Spanish coast, towards Malaga there are 3 generations of road with the earliest single track.

Sooty 10

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Nelson, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
c Class
Exp
Since 1999.
We are interested in this trip. Could be a problem in Switzerland as our van is 4000 kg. Not just sure how the road charges work. If anyone could let my know would appreciate it or I could look up on the net.

Please put us down as an interested party and will decide in new year.

Thanks Kath and Keith.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are interested in this trip. Could be a problem in Switzerland as our van is 4000 kg. Not just sure how the road charges work. If anyone could let my know would appreciate it or I could look up on the net.

Please put us down as an interested party and will decide in new year.

Thanks Kath and Keith.

Looks BAD - see here...
Link Removed

So avoid Switzerland ! Just keep going south to Chamonix, enjoy a day or two there, well worth it and go through Mont Blanc direct to Italy.

Link Removed

Chamonix to Peschiera is about 230 miles so nice day's run.

You are on the list !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back