Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
A lot of motorhomes have a "garage" - but why call a large locker a garage? In my opinion a garage is

a) a building to put your car in when it's not in use OR
b) a place to take a vehicle to be repaired OR
c) could be another name for a refuelling place (that could have been a vehicle repair place previously).

Neither of the above will apply to a large locker on a motorhome. Do manufacturers call a locker a garage, if not, where did the expression start?

Dave

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Could be that the really large locker was for a scooter or similar, so a) above would apply??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I use our "garage" for bicycles, blow up canoe BBQ etc, basically the things you might put in the "garage" at home, some people put a car in.

Martin

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Basically the answer to the question in the title is that men always like to have a garage. :D

And I also fill mine with stuff I would keep in a garage, like a scooter (or bikes) outdoor furniture, BBQ etc etc

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My garage at home is filled with half empty tins of paint that have gone off and will never be used again. Odd rolls of wallpaper that we dont have a match for and general rubbish. The good stuff like the car, sits outside going rusty.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Car got broken into one night,police came,had a look around and said. " I bet you have got about " £200 of C**p in the garage and leave this out here". He was not wrong ,so we both had a laugh and it took the sting out of the moment,sorted.
Tea Bag

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Its where we men put all our stuff...
Beer, wine, bbq stuff and ear plugs...
Then SWMBO, every 6 months, tidys it up....
And we can never find anything again:(

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Way back in 1902, from French word garage "shelter for a vehicle," a specific use of a word meaning generally "place for storing something," from verb garer "to shelter,"

That what I use it for a store.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
If the large locker is large enough for a scooter or in my case a Piaggio Trike and it has the payload and floor strength to carry it then it is a garage. Other than that it is a large locker but over time it has become fashionable to call all large rear lockers a Garage.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
A lot of motorhomes have a "garage" - but why call a large locker a garage? In my opinion a garage is

c) could be another name for a refuelling place (that could have been a vehicle repair place previously).

Neither of the above will apply to a large locker on a motorhome. Do manufacturers call a locker a garage, if not, where did the expression start?

Dave

It applies to this range - look at the back of the motorhome plan!
Broken Link Removed

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Frankia call theirs a garage and that is the reason I bought my van so that in the case of this trip I carried my SD 990,MTB and other stuff
IMG_0129.JPG

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Carthago call it a 'scooter garage'.
Ours doesn't have a scooter but does have bikes, chairs, tools, hose, cables and all the sort of miscellaneous junk that is also in the garage at home (plus the car, at home that is, not in the Carthago). :D

Richard.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Why call it a motorhome? Very few of us full time so we have a home and a motor elsewhere.

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.”
“The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”
“The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master – – that’s all.”

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Dave
Probably the same place that using 'tag axle' for a twin rear axle motorhome started. And where calling the Diesel vehicle security switch an 'Ignition Switch' started.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Present van, although sold as having a garage, it is def just a very large locker.
Previous van had a garage..
The difference ?
I could get a motorcycle in the garage, I would have to one apart to get in th so called garage on the Autotrail !

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Well mines definitely a garage carries a 650cc Kawasaki Versys with ease plus all the other usual crap and was bought specifically because it had a "garage" :whistle::whistle:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I suspect, that Like the vast majority of "garages" at home. They contain ALL the "Stuff" `er indoors, will under NO circumstances have in the "Home". Along with ALL the "stuff" `er indoors. dose`nt want to get rid of (yet), but STILL won`t have "indoors"??

OK Guys?

Wait for the "incoming"!!!!!

Pete

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
There's always room for the car in the garage...:)
image.jpeg

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
It's to cater for those that want their motorhome to be a replica of their house and contain EVERYTHING they have in a house.
The sales man calls it a bathroom when it is a cupboard with running water.
They also call a bench seat a lounging area.
And van seat a captains chair
It's a lot of sales talk to make think we have all the comforts of home in a box 10th, or less, of the size.
Kidology (is that a word?) the salesman's friend.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
just for fun I looked up the meaning in wikionary

1. A building or indoor space in which to park or keep a motor vehicle.
2. A commercial establishment where cars are repaired, serviced, or parked.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Dave
I think the reason they are referred to as garages is to differentiate them from an [external] locker. A garage is a lot bigger and can often take vehicles, be it bikes, scooters, motorcycles etc, whereas a locker is usually smaller and not so likely to take any type of vehicle (exception being folding bikes!), and some lockers can be tiny. Calling them garages as opposed to lockers makes it easer for people who want a larger space to take bikes etc - if they were ALL just called lockers it would be a pain wading through ads etc when looking for them.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Thanks to Bigtree our garage is also used for a KTM, although sometimes we get 5 cycles in it.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Interestingly and in no way being rude aggressive or offensive, I find myself completely indifferent to what you call it and couldn't really give a flying fudge, but then I have had a bottle of Cava!:drink:

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks to Bigtree our garage is also used for a KTM, although sometimes we get 5 cycles in it.

Best decision you ever made apart from hooking up with John.(y)

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
I actually have a car in our garage.......

...... In the minute amount of space I cleared for it in the mountains of 'stuff' also stored in the garage.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
I personally think that garage is a good termination for the large storage space at the rear of some motorhomes:whistle::p
Brian & Jo
Signing off from this thing that I'm lying on,oh what's it called ,oh yes I know,a bed:LOL:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I personally think that garage is a good termination for the large storage space at the rear of some motorhomes:whistle::p
Brian & Jo
Signing off from this thing that I'm lying on,oh what's it called ,oh yes I know,a bed:LOL:

No no that the garage roof you are lying on.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back