Tips for muddy wellies, fixing stuff to m/h walls, rodents, oven, etc (1 Viewer)

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all

We've had the mh now for about six months and would appreciate your ideas and solutions for the following:

We've just returned from another very muddy trip in the New Forest. What are your solutions for storing wet, muddy boots and wet clothes. We thought we'd use the shower to hang waterproofs across with wet footwear in the bottom. We have some tub trugs for the footwear so we can just pull it out if we want to use the shower. There are four of us so with four wellies, trainers and walking boots, it's quite a lot of footwear and means we have tub trugs piled high! Also, someone knocked the shower on last time so they didn't stay dry although this time I put the shower hose on the floor to avoid that.

We also have a large dog so have wet muddy towels to cope with.

What do you do about attaching stuff to your mh? We could do with a mirror on the back of the bathroom door as I have to stand on tiptoe to see in it an the kids don't stand a chance. 'They're still at the age where their face washing is better if they can see what they're doing! I'm a bit reluctant to screw things in anywhere - what do you use?

I also want to leave as much stuff on the mh as possible although I'm currently taking bedding and pillows out as it's so cold here but I'm worried about leaving stuff like bird food on even in proper containers. It's rodents I'm worried about as we had three baby mice in our old caravan bottle box - no harm done but worse was rats in there too. Again, luckily no damage, just a mess. What do you do on yours?

We also have a gas oven with one shelf? Have used it to cook some chicken bits and it does the job eventually but it only cooks on the one shelf - anything at the bottom just does nothing. Is it worth getting another shelf or will it still be pretty useless? I've been reading threads about funsters doing Xmas dinner in their oven and can't imagine ours coping with more than one tray of stuff!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Rosemaryd

Reactions: kcy

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Haha Rosemary, I was very tempted to say don't go out if it's wet and muddy to be honest :LOL:
You seem to be doing everything right re muddy boots and wet togs, if there is heating in the loo make sure the vent is open.
Mirror, we have a small one held on with double sided sticky pads.
Yes we take bedding out in winter when it's cold as we don't heat the van when not in use. Plus we open every drawer and cupboard to stop condensation on Sharp temp changes outside.
We remove all foodstuffs, everything, it's food that attracts vermin. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi,Rosemaryd We have an old milk crate that we use for stowing wellies and it slides under the van along with anything else that we put in it,the question about mirrors is an easy fix I got some mirror tiles from e bay stick on type and made of plastic very light,get yourself an oil filled heater to keep the shower room warm and dry out your wet stuff when on hook up:)

Upvote 0

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Rosemaryd, for attaching "stuff" to our Motorhome we have used Heavy duty stick on Velcro.
Available from Halfords

Brisey.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi RosemaryD

For the wet and muddy things I would suggest a big motorhome with a garage, failing that I think you are doing it pretty well, what about an awning or day tent depending on where you are staying and how long for of course.

If you want a mirror on the bathroom door I would stick one on, you can get mirror adhesive to stick them up in the bathroom at home and can't see why not to use in it the MH, otherwise Sikaflex PU type adhesive would do the job I guess.

Ours is full length and stuck on, don't know what with as it's never fallen off, the mirror is thinner/lighter than a domestic one I would say.

Martin

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
We bought a very lightweight and cheap full length mirror from "Range" and it's fitted to our bathroom door with double sided velcro pads.(the type you can remove without damage). I was a bit sceptical at first about it being secure enough, but it's not moved at all after 18 months use (y)

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Rodents are a well-discussed topic on MHF. As a general rule assume they can get almost anywhere and don't leave any accessible food or nesting material within easy reach of the floor. If you must keep food in the vehicle I'd suggest putting it in lidded stacker boxes. The mice that have entered our MH have usually come up the front wheels and in through the passenger footwell in the cab. I've tried all sorts, but to date the most successful solution has been pouring peppermint essence on flat surfaces in the engine compartment where I've found any mouse traces, and placing bait boxes under a brick end by the front wheel to nobble them before they get into the MH. However our MH is in a large storage compound in a remote rural location - I'd be more wary of using bait boxes in a residential area (due to the possible impact on pets) and use traps instead.

I'm pretty certain they follow urine or scent trails so anything that disrupts that is helpful. When I've found dead mice in the MH they've usually been down in the door steps into the living area and the cab, so once they're in there I reckon they get trapped. If you're going to put bait inside the MH I'd put it down there to encourage them into the pit of doom.

Obviously bait will only delay their departure so they may literally crawl off somewhere else to die, whereas traps will contain them but can only kill one at a time.

We're fortunate in that our MH's living area floors are surrounded on all sides by smooth panels so they haven't yet got above floor level, but they've definitely made it onto the dashboard.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Using the New Forest constantly as we do as well, we have found that the rail over the shower, combined with the blown air heater in there works well for the dog towels and waterproofs - then remove when dry. If we have both towels wet and have clothing as well, we use hangers on the rail to utilise the space more efficiently. Wellies are stored in the garage on microfiber towels so that they can drip dry, or they are left on a “catch all mat” by the hab door next to the rubber mat used for the dog’s bowls. Rub a dog's head with a towel before you get back in the MH and it will shake outside.
Mirror fixing I can only concur with above, though no snags in our MH as adults only.
We leave bedding in all year and only remove when it needs washing then replaced straight away.
Only ever leave tinned food in cupboards if storing for any time as we too have been victims of vermin in the passed.

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hi
There are three of us and a dog normaly. ..
Easiest thing is the dog... a doggy bag. Works wonders.
As for wet boots .. if you don't have a garage then an awning is the answer. We hace got and inflatable one but you can get away with something like the small suncamp porch awning. Cheap as chips.
We do use the shower to dry stuff off too but we have a rule. No dirty footwear in the van.
We also have a boot cleaning bristle mat we put outside the awning and a large rubber "boot tray" which we got from costco which keeps boots together and prevents muddy water or snow melting everywhere.
When our van is parked at home it's always plugged in and we keep it stocked. We have an electronic mouse thingy that seems to work.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Ikea do a range of suction baskets, hooks and a mirror, if you follow the instructions they will fix to the plastic coating of showers, ours have never moved.
We also use no nails strips they are great for fixing stuff and just require a twist to remove, if in doubt about weight use more strips, they can also be removed with a craft knife if unable to twist off then rub away the strips.
Dogs we use the micro fibre quick dry type and a lot of paper towels. We also have wick away towelling coats they can wear until dry.
We have a drive away awning and as much as possible hang towels and wellies etc in it.
If not using bathroom is only option, take a lot of towels as unlikely they will dry between walks and vac bag the damp ones start with a fresh one. If you have an exterior shower fitting get a shower head and wash off boots, wellies and dog when possible to reduce smelly mud inside.
Oven, ours is useless too, we have a Remoska bought direct from Czech republic.

Lin :)

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have special bags for our wellies, they are only special in the sense they are made for carrying wellies! There are two zips up one side and if the wellies are wet we leave the zips undone so air can circulate. The bottom of our wardrobe is above the webasto heater so it makes a very good place for storing the wellies after the worst of the wet has dried off.

We also have rigid plastic containers with lids for all other footwear. You can't put them away wet in them but they are great for storage as they stack.

The toilet compartment with heating turned on full for very wet clothes, putting things on hangers or a bit of cord strung across.

The dog problem is easily solved if you think ahead. Only choose a small dog! :)

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thread has grown so sorry if repeating others.

Re wellies WHILST you are away .. break a broom handle in half and stick the halves in the ground ... place the wellies upside down over them. Nothing can climb up into them and if it rains overnight the rain will clean them ready to put into a carrier bag .. for sale at all good supermarkets for five pence :) ...

Re mice .. touch wood this year I have succeeded by every week wiping the floor and work surfaces with strong diluted bleach, spray LAVENDER scented spray everywhere regularly, and peppermint oil sprinkled on the bedding and cushions, etc... Put tumble dryer sheets, lavender, in all the cupboards ....

If the wellies are put away wet you will probably get mildew in any cupboards you put them in.

Re dogs, the plastic sheets for on back seat of cars can go on your seats in the mh .. if it raining these too can be hung outside and the rain cleans them. Spray with diluted dettol or bleach.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
There's something both mice and me hate, (in relation to the 'van)
and that's cats.
They sh!t under the van on the slate chippings. I hate that.
However, no sign of mice.
Which I love.

Can't have it both ways I suppose.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rosemaryd

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
have you considered a small awning tent or seperate tent to hang up your wet /muddy clothes /boots in
Not really as we thought we might move but actually left the mh were it was and went everywhere by bike/foot so it is a possibility. Thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rosemaryd

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Haha Rosemary, I was very tempted to say don't go out if it's wet and muddy to be honest :LOL:
You seem to be doing everything right re muddy boots and wet togs, if there is heating in the loo make sure the vent is open.
Mirror, we have a small one held on with double sided sticky pads.
Yes we take bedding out in winter when it's cold as we don't heat the van when not in use. Plus we open every drawer and cupboard to stop condensation on Sharp temp changes outside.
We remove all foodstuffs, everything, it's food that attracts vermin. (y)
Thanks. We hadn't been leaving cupboards open but will now!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rosemaryd

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi,Rosemaryd We have an old milk crate that we use for stowing wellies and it slides under the van along with anything else that we put in it,the question about mirrors is an easy fix I got some mirror tiles from e bay stick on type and made of plastic very light,get yourself an oil filled heater to keep the shower room warm and dry out your wet stuff when on hook up:)
Good ideas, might try this when it gets a bit warmer. Minus 2 at the weekend so tried to keep footwear as warm as possible!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rosemaryd

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Using the New Forest constantly as we do as well, we have found that the rail over the shower, combined with the blown air heater in there works well for the dog towels and waterproofs - then remove when dry. If we have both towels wet and have clothing as well, we use hangers on the rail to utilise the space more efficiently. Wellies are stored in the garage on microfiber towels so that they can drip dry, or they are left on a “catch all mat” by the hab door next to the rubber mat used for the dog’s bowls. Rub a dog's head with a towel before you get back in the MH and it will shake outside.
Mirror fixing I can only concur with above, though no snags in our MH as adults only.
We leave bedding in all year and only remove when it needs washing then replaced straight away.
Only ever leave tinned food in cupboards if storing for any time as we too have been victims of vermin in the passed.
Good tip re rubbing the dog's head - I'll give this a go. He hasn't shaken in the mh yet which is lucky otherwise hubby would probably leave him up the road (joking! I hope anyway!) but he always manages this at home, the day after the kitchen has been cleaned normally. Mud everywhere as he's big AND longhaired!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rosemaryd

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi
There are three of us and a dog normaly. ..
Easiest thing is the dog... a doggy bag. Works wonders.
As for wet boots .. if you don't have a garage then an awning is the answer. We hace got and inflatable one but you can get away with something like the small suncamp porch awning. Cheap as chips.
We do use the shower to dry stuff off too but we have a rule. No dirty footwear in the van.
We also have a boot cleaning bristle mat we put outside the awning and a large rubber "boot tray" which we got from costco which keeps boots together and prevents muddy water or snow melting everywhere.
When our van is parked at home it's always plugged in and we keep it stocked. We have an electronic mouse thingy that seems to work.
Isn't a doggy bag something you get from a restaurant? If it means putting the dog in a bag, it's a no go as I can't lift him although I'm sure it would provide great entertainment for the rest of the family and fellow campers watching. Like the idea of the boot tray, this could be good for dog water bowl too as he sat in that and tipped it over the other day!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rosemaryd

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Ikea do a range of suction baskets, hooks and a mirror, if you follow the instructions they will fix to the plastic coating of showers, ours have never moved.
We also use no nails strips they are great for fixing stuff and just require a twist to remove, if in doubt about weight use more strips, they can also be removed with a craft knife if unable to twist off then rub away the strips.
Dogs we use the micro fibre quick dry type and a lot of paper towels. We also have wick away towelling coats they can wear until dry.
We have a drive away awning and as much as possible hang towels and wellies etc in it.
If not using bathroom is only option, take a lot of towels as unlikely they will dry between walks and vac bag the damp ones start with a fresh one. If you have an exterior shower fitting get a shower head and wash off boots, wellies and dog when possible to reduce smelly mud inside.
Oven, ours is useless too, we have a Remoska bought direct from Czech republic.

Lin :)
Thanks Lin. I forgot we had an outside shower till we got home so might try that next time. Normally, I get wetter than then dog as he's not keen on being cleaned off so this may be a no go. Going to try the microfibre towels though. Heard lots about Remoska's, will investigate further.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rosemaryd

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We have special bags for our wellies, they are only special in the sense they are made for carrying wellies! There are two zips up one side and if the wellies are wet we leave the zips undone so air can circulate. The bottom of our wardrobe is above the webasto heater so it makes a very good place for storing the wellies after the worst of the wet has dried off.

We also have rigid plastic containers with lids for all other footwear. You can't put them away wet in them but they are great for storage as they stack.

The toilet compartment with heating turned on full for very wet clothes, putting things on hangers or a bit of cord strung across.

The dog problem is easily solved if you think ahead. Only choose a small dog! :)
Too late for dog choice I'm afraid but thinking plastic boxes with lids might work better than tub trugs. Thanks.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
OP
OP
rosemaryd

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thread has grown so sorry if repeating others.

Re wellies WHILST you are away .. break a broom handle in half and stick the halves in the ground ... place the wellies upside down over them. Nothing can climb up into them and if it rains overnight the rain will clean them ready to put into a carrier bag .. for sale at all good supermarkets for five pence :) ...

Re mice .. touch wood this year I have succeeded by every week wiping the floor and work surfaces with strong diluted bleach, spray LAVENDER scented spray everywhere regularly, and peppermint oil sprinkled on the bedding and cushions, etc... Put tumble dryer sheets, lavender, in all the cupboards ....

If the wellies are put away wet you will probably get mildew in any cupboards you put them in.

Re dogs, the plastic sheets for on back seat of cars can go on your seats in the mh .. if it raining these too can be hung outside and the rain cleans them. Spray with diluted dettol or bleach.
Thanks Movan. Good ideas, will try these.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We aren't dog owners but have seen a lot of these type of non-spill bowls in motorhomes http://www.roadrefresher.com/ Another vote for Remoska cookers - have the large one at home (less electric & cooks better than our oven) & the smaller one for in the motorhome. Also use a lot of strong Velcro tape & ties. We like a small porch awning to put the soggy towels, muddy boots etc in when the weather doesn't suit the Fiamma awning being out - have tried lots to find the easiest quickest option but will hopefully be getting a Sunncamp Swift 220 Motor awning once available this spring which is taller than the caravan version.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
For fixing large mirrors you can get mastic tubes specially for fixing mirrors and a good glazier will cut a mirror to size and smooth the edges and can supply the mastic which won't damage the mirror silvering on the back. Once stuck on you won't ever get it off again without breaking the mirror or even what it's stuck to!

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We are lucky in that our oven works quite well, it is full sized though. previous van was the smaller, grill inside oven type, found best way was to put it on top setting for about 10 minutes no matter what you were cooking, then turn it down. also have 2 remoskas one for home one for van, but use both at home when cooking for 16 at Christmas. cant help with the dog sorry and so far have been lucky on the rodent front despite it being a farm storage facility. food left in the van tends to be tins or stuff in plastic boxes. We also leave a change of clothes toiletries and towels in the van for a quick getaway. Don't use wellies, but dirty boots/shoes are usually put under the van if not using our awning. We now have a drive away blow up awning which is handy as an extra room, but much preferred the sunncamp 390 which unfortunately did not fit this van. We also use the shower area for drying wet clothes/towels. but not usually when we have the grandchildren with us, we try to take enough to last, and make the most of dry times, wing mirrors and the ladder at the back can be very useful.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Me thinks If I tried the bag with Jaffa it's me who would finish up inside
When mice get in my MH they usually leave me something to eat:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just been and had a look £90.00:eek: For a Bag------Yer avin a larf incha:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back