Ducato Leisure battery wiring (1 Viewer)

Pouschkin

Free Member
Feb 17, 2016
Barcelona
Funster No
MH
L2H2 Ducato 2nd gen
Exp
Good day all, I just joined so totally newbee. I´m undertaking my first van conversion, it´s a facelifted mkII Ducato L2H2 and already running into a brainbreaker.

I´m planning on installing a leisure battery and am planning to run a 25mm2 cable from engine battery to leisure battery. The battery will be located above the rear left wheel. Now, what´s the best way to run the B2B cable? Anyone got experience wiring a Mk2 Ducato? Can I go over the passenger door (through A-style) or under it, or maybe even under the van? I´m planning an insulated floor, so there is space under the floor as well.

I´m trying to avoid having to take apart the entire dashboard to define a route, also, I´m unable to see where the rear lights cable harness is running. Also, since I´m living in Barcelona, my sliding door is on the right side and does not create any problems.

Any (good) advice is welcome! Thanks in advance.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I don't have the answer to your question just thought I'd say hi, I do know that most fiat ducato conversions seem to have the battery under the passenger or drivers seat not sure if this would make things easier or not.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Hi, I'm not familiar with the Ducato, but if you check out www.deepredmotorhome.com you might find an answer there, lots of good fiat pvc conversion info there (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

Pouschkin

Free Member
Feb 17, 2016
Barcelona
Funster No
MH
L2H2 Ducato 2nd gen
Exp
Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies. Deepred is one of my inspirations indeed, but exactly on that topic, it´s not compatible. It´s a newer ducato with the battery in the cabin instead of in the engine bay.

Good point about the battery being under the seats, I didn´t even consider it. I placed it close to the peripheral equipment (UPS & aux fusebox).

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if you lift the mats in the front you will find there are conduits built in which will get you to the post behind the door from there i went along the side of the van in flexi conduit my batteries are on drivers side

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not a good idea to link both hab and cab batteries permenantly.
Not only will you charge both with the engine running but will also drain both with the engine off if no hookup available.

A B2B charge module would be a far better option, albeit much more expensive, as its only active when the engine is running.

This link is to the 50amp version but there is a 20amp model too.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pouschkin

Free Member
Feb 17, 2016
Barcelona
Funster No
MH
L2H2 Ducato 2nd gen
Exp
if you lift the mats in the front you will find there are conduits built in which will get you to the post behind the door from there i went along the side of the van in flexi conduit my batteries are on drivers side

Thanks, I´ll have a look next time. That would be a nice and simple solution.

Not a good idea to link both hab and cab batteries permenantly.

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn´t planning on doing this. I was thinking on integrating a 100A split relay. I´ve seen those SP B2B chargers before but I really don´t want to break the bank over those, I´m already pushing it with a UPS.

What do you guys think of this: Amazon product ASIN B00V65O8HO

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
what do you need an invertor for ?its best to use a split charge relay and run everything you possibly can on 12v when not on hook up
have you been to the self build motor caravan club web site sbmcc.co.uk you will get lots of wiring diagrams on there as well as a mine of infomation

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
my batteries are at the back but with hind site i would go for puttting them under the seats saves a lot of wiring

OP
OP
P

Pouschkin

Free Member
Feb 17, 2016
Barcelona
Funster No
MH
L2H2 Ducato 2nd gen
Exp
Thanks Gus.

I´ll have a split charge relay for sure, but I want to have both 220 and 12 volts all the time. I´ll have a look around on SBMCC, should I specifically look on the forum?

OP
OP
P

Pouschkin

Free Member
Feb 17, 2016
Barcelona
Funster No
MH
L2H2 Ducato 2nd gen
Exp
More and more playing with the idea not to invert to 220. It would save me the UPS and would just need a charger.

Also thinking about a high-load step down to build a 5v infra and place several USB points (everything seems to connect and charge through USB these days).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back