Free Member
Feb 17, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Sorry if this is the wrong forum!
I'm desperate for help and I'm a complete novice. I tried to start my Swift Royale 6 berth 1996 Motorhome yesterday and it turned over very slow. As not to drain the battery I took the key out and the engine still carried on trying to start for a couple of turns then went flat. Now there is no lights on the dash when I turn the key? I tried to use some jump leads but nothing happens? Any advice or help would be great?

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
First job i recon is give your battery a good over night charge then try again tomorrow ,it may just be a Knackered battery.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Yup, what he said. Modern jump leads are really tricky to get a good contact on the Ducato jump start points, so I don't think that is indicative. Charge the battery, and try again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
And here's a ditto (or is that a ditto ditto?)

Reactions: DBK
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
New Battery if you want it to start next time.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
sounds like your starter contacts "stuck", or welded together. that can happen with a low battery.
like others have said , take off and charge overnight, becareful when you refit it , that the starter doesn't run. just tap the earth lead on the battery to check

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sorry if this is the wrong forum!
I'm desperate for help and I'm a complete novice. I tried to start my Swift Royale 6 berth 1996 Motorhome yesterday and it turned over very slow. As not to drain the battery I took the key out and the engine still carried on trying to start for a couple of turns then went flat. Now there is no lights on the dash when I turn the key? I tried to use some jump leads but nothing happens? Any advice or help would be great?
But what's all this about still trying to start with the key out(n) sounds as if something is shorting somewhere.
Edit sorry overlapped the last post

OP
OP
D

Darren fletcher

Free Member
Feb 17, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Thanks all for your advice I will charge and try again. The battery and starter motor is only 6 months old.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
solenoid stuck on the starter, give it a belt, the round thing on the top, not hitting it on any plastic bits, and check the live lead on the back is nt in contact with the other littler leads.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Good to hear you got your problem sorted.

Hi Darren, welcome to the wonderful world of Motorhomes, now that you have found the forum and invested in your Motorhome I would seriously think of joining £15 per a year , you will have access to so much information and have fellow Motorhomers at your fingertips. :welcomesign:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back